Advice Needed!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Advice Needed!!

Postby jfb » Thu May 27, 2010 1:22 pm

I've read many of the Transfer threads but because my situation is a little unqiue, I'd appreciate some input.

Background

161, 3.9 from large public good WE (assume for purposes of this thread that a retake is not in the future, though it may be)
I took the LSAT in Feb. 2009, but because of work commitments did not plan on applying until fall '10 to start in '11. However, I did put in one application in fall '09 to my alma mater which is a couple miles from where I work and has a t3 LS. I applied with the intention of defering till '11 and was accepted with a full ride.

Dilema

My work situation has changed recently (didnt get laid off, just more flexibility) and I would now be able to start in August of this year. Although I am really happy about the opportunity to start, as I never did like the thought of putting school off until '11, I have only applied to that one school and do not know what my options from other schools will be.

Questions

Should I get started this year and try to transfer to a higher ranked school in a more desirable location after 1L?? Not necessrily a T14, but something in the 20-30 area.
What impact will the fact that i did not apply to other schools have on my ability to transfer - positive or negative? Does it help to justify why I am looking to transfer, or does it appear as if I have very poor long term planning skills?
Could transfering after a year possibly open some options that are currently closed to me because of my LSAT score (I've read that GULC is fairly transfer friendly)?
Should I just wait and put in all of my application for '11, which would also put me a year back in ls than I could be if i started in August?

Other considerations
I realize that one cannot expect to finish 1L in the top 5 or 10 percent just because GPA and LSAT are above medians, but the motivation to transfer could help me get there
Assume that I am okay (not thrilled) about attending and graduating from my alma mater with no debt in an area where I have legal and political connections - but would prefer not to work in the area which would probably happen
I would like to work in the DC area

This has been making me crazy and so any advice, input, options that I may not be considering would be greatly greatly appreciated.

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Advice Needed!!

Postby sophistry » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Wait and apply to more schools next cycle.

yabbadabbado
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Advice Needed!!

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm

+1 on this.

Pre-law stats and what schools you applied to the first go 'round are irrelevant for transferring. All they care about are 1L grades/class rank and what school you are coming from.

Trying to "get started hoping to transfer" is an incredibly bad idea.


sophistry wrote:Wait and apply to more schools next cycle.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Advice Needed!!

Postby traehekat » Thu May 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Wait. Your numbers should yield a decent amount of acceptances from T2 schools (possibly with some money) and a few T1 schools (including Iowa, a T30 school which you mentioned was your goal anyway).

Do not attend your T3 school with the intention of transferring. If you would be happy with graduating from there, and you know that even with some acceptances from other schools you would not turn down the money you have received, then you could probably go for it this year. But it sounds like you aren't completely satisfied with where you would be heading this year (and why would you be - your numbers aren't bad at all), so I would just hold off. Law school will still be here in a year. You could even try to raise the LSAT if you haven't taken it three times, as it would be a shame to waste that awesome GPA on a relatively lower LSAT. If you can raise it to a 165+ then you are looking at acceptances from a number of T30 schools.

EDIT: Oh, and if you don't want to work in the area where your T3 schools is, then that is even more of a reason to wait until next year. Again - DO NOT COUNT ON TRANSFERRING. Just because your numbers are above median does not mean you will perform well, and just because you want to transfer does not make you more motivated than anyone else. From everything I have EVER heard regarding taking the LSAT again v transferring, it is INFINITELY easier to raise your LSAT 5 or 6 points than it is to fall within the top 5-10% of your class, which would probably be needed to go from T3 to T30.

User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Re: Advice Needed!!

Postby jfb » Thu May 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The school was not able to gaurantee that I would still have the scholly if I deferred (they never know what their funding will look like for sure) but it is likely, is it worth it to take the risk of losing the scholly to put in my app at other schools???

FWIW - I only took the lsat once, so yea I know "retake retake retake" which I probably will if I decide to wait a year.

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Advice Needed!!

Postby sophistry » Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm

jfb wrote:"retake retake retake"




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crookedsmile and 3 guests