!! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kavinsky
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:24 pm

!! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

Postby Kavinsky » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice. Really appreciate the insights I have received in this forum already. I am in a dilemma about where to go this fall. Would love to hear what people think (have already deposited at accepted schools).

Goals: Public health law

Location preference:Washington, DC

Cost:Would like to minimize cost, but with small scholarships from Wake and AU, each option is relatively similar cost-wise

Acceptances:
1. Wake Forest $ (for JD/MA in Bioethics)
2. George Mason in-state
3. American $
(4). Wait listed at Vandy and W&M as well.

The dual-degree from Wake is a great program, but I know Wake places mostly (75%+) in NC. Mason and AU degrees may not be decent options anywhere outside of DC.
Thanks for the perspective!

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: !! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

Postby Sias » Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Kavinsky wrote:Thanks in advance for your helpful advice. Really appreciate the insights I have received in this forum already. I am in a dilemma about where to go this fall. Would love to hear what people think (have already deposited at accepted schools).

Goals: Public health law

Location preference:Washington, DC

Cost:Would like to minimize cost, but with small scholarships from Wake and AU, each option is relatively similar cost-wise

Acceptances:
1. Wake Forest $ (for JD/MA in Bioethics)
2. George Mason in-state
3. American $
(4). Wait listed at Vandy and W&M as well.

The dual-degree from Wake is a great program, but I know Wake places mostly (75%+) in NC. Mason and AU degrees may not be decent options anywhere outside of DC.
Thanks for the perspective!


I think that if you know you want DC then you should go for American. Of those 3 it has the biggest alumni network in the city.

Kavinsky
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: !! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

Postby Kavinsky » Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Sias wrote:I think that if you know you want DC then you should go for American. Of those 3 it has the biggest alumni network in the city.


Thanks for the note. Is alumni network the most heavily weighted factor in your opinion? I agree with that about AU's, but am wondering if that is the driving input. Any other reasons?

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: !! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

Postby Sias » Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Kavinsky wrote:
Sias wrote:I think that if you know you want DC then you should go for American. Of those 3 it has the biggest alumni network in the city.


Thanks for the note. Is alumni network the most heavily weighted factor in your opinion? I agree with that about AU's, but am wondering if that is the driving input. Any other reasons?


Considering they're all about evenly ranked, yeah, alumni is probably the biggest factor. Fact is that employers tend to hire from their own school, and there are probably more people with AU degrees in DC than with WF or GM. Also, AU has extensive internship/externship opportunities (much more so than GM), so you could network while a student.

However, I think Wake is significantly cheaper than American, both in terms of tuition and CoL. For me personally this would be a huge factor, but you seemed to place the most emphasis on working DC so the "safest" bet among those three is almost certainly American.

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: !! Wake Forest $ vs. Mason/AU $ ???

Postby Sias » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

I re-read your original post and it seems likely that you want to go to Wake, but that you also want to work in DC.

I think you need to choose between the following:

1) Do you absolutely have to work in Washington DC? If yes, American is the clear choice. The PI program there will easily facilitate your desire to do PI Health, and the networking that could be done as a law student will be invaluable throughout your career.

or

2) Would you regret not pursuing the dual degree at Wake Forest, and would you be content working outside of DC? If yes, then the answer is surely Wake. Don't necessarily bypass a school simply because you think you want a certain location now. If Wake is where you want to be then you should choose Wake. Do extremely well and you'll have an excellent shot at landing a gig in DC.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests