Toledo vs. ONU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Toledo (full ride + books, need 2.5)
85%
ONU (30,000, need 3.0)
15%

Total votes: 27

Woo10

Toledo vs. ONU

Postby Woo10 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some help deciding between Toledo and Ohio Northern. I am looking for feedback, advice and maybe a personal story of a choice someone made if they have been in a similar scenario. Here is the breakdown:

Toledo- Full ride + books paid for. Need to manta in a 2.5 to keep all scholarship
Ohio Northern- 30,000/year (Total cost is 31,000) and I need to maintain a 3.0 to keep all scholarship

I have visited both schools and liked them both very much.

stintez

Re: Toledo vs. ONU

Postby stintez » Wed May 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Also what are your numbers . Why didn't you apply to OSU UC NKU U OF L Dayton Capital

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

stintez wrote:Also what are your numbers . Why didn't you apply to OSU UC NKU U OF L Dayton Capital

Exactly. I didn't know Toledo had a 2.5 scholly. Are you sure you have read the information correctly? Everyone I know on scholarship must maintain a 3.3. If they're offering 2.5 scholly then I am suspicious of what they believe their 2012 rankings will become.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Sun May 30, 2010 8:47 pm

ITE, take the free ride. Neither school is spectacular, but UT is astronomically better in Ohio.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Not a really appetizing choice, but you may as well take the full ride, because Toledo is better than ONU.

Woo10

Postby Woo10 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:12 am

pandacot wrote:
stintez wrote:Also what are your numbers . Why didn't you apply to OSU UC NKU U OF L Dayton Capital

Exactly. I didn't know Toledo had a 2.5 scholly. Are you sure you have read the information correctly? Everyone I know on scholarship must maintain a 3.3. If they're offering 2.5 scholly then I am suspicious of what they believe their 2012 rankings will become.

Yes I am positive I read the info correctly. I am a minority, and other "minority" students only have to maintain a 2.5 so I assume that is the reason. I don't quite understand what you are suggesting...?

OliverWendellHomie

Postby OliverWendellHomie » Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 am

Don't go to either! I have a friend who graduated from Toledo last year, top 10%, law review, and currently still has no job whatsoever. I have another friend who went to ONU and hated it so much that she dropped out after one year. I have another friend that went to ONU and transferred the hell out after 1L. Really, your prospects from either school are grim, even if you are only interested in practicing in Ohio. You have to compete with OSU, Case Wester, Cincy, Capital, Cleveland State, etc - and really only the top 1/3 at OSU are getting anything better than a small firm gig. Unless you are able to end up in the 10% after 1L year and transfer out, you are really wasting your money at either school. Seriously, don't go to either school unless you are OK with making $30k-40k for a few years out of law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 am

Between the two law schools, the Univ. of Toledo is a better school in a better location offering a better scholarship with better terms.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 am

OliverWendellHomie wrote: Seriously, don't go to either school unless you are OK with making $30k-40k for a few years out of law school.

I would agree with this statement. Further, I wouldn't advise going to any school in OH without a hefty scholarship with no strings attached or the ability to pay in cash and not take loans.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Between the two law schools, the Univ. of Toledo is a better school in a better location offering a better scholarship with better terms.

This exactly. Personally both are not highly regarded in Ohio. With numbers that would get you schollys like that you could probably go to Cincy or Case and I would advise even paying a little to go to those schools. If you had to choose between the two I would choose UT like everyone else has said so far.

I had a professor who when to Akron Law part-time and in the summer there was a UT student just taking a couple classes over the summer while staying at home. Long story short the student couldn't keep up at UofA because "he didn't have to take notes at UT" and ended up failing out of the classes he ended up taking over the summer. Sure this is just a personal anecdote, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to a school a UofA grad was bashing.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 am

UA/UT/CSU are all fairly similar. I've met grads of all 3 and the majority of them all end up in the same kinds of jobs after graduation. I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than another, though CSU has the advantage of being in bigger city with more potential job opportunities. If the student failed his summer classes, that was likely his own fault and had nothing to do with attending UT. Most students at any school take notes in class. Those who just goof off in class are usually doing extra work or studying on their own outside of class. I've never heard of any law student that did not take notes or study something in order to prep for exams if they want to do decently in school or at least pass. Further, summer law school classes anywhere are compressed. 2 summer classes = full time enrollment. If the student couldn't find at least an unpaid summer internship somewhere, while staying at home and decided to take classes instead, chances are that student has real issues, or stupidly tried to juggle too much (job/internship + classes)while taking those classes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”