Tulane (sticker) vs Chicago-Kent (90k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

Tulane (sticker)
Kent $$$
Total votes: 13

Tulane (sticker) vs Chicago-Kent (90k)

Postby rollingby » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 am

I'm having a really tough time deciding between Tulane at sticker and Chicago-Kent 30k/year. The Kent scholarship is conditional upon a 3.25 gpa (top 25-30%). If i don't make a 3.25 at Kent, a 3.0 (top 50%) will allow me to retain half the scholarship. Tulane is very expensive at sticker and so I would most likely be counting on IBR to pay off the debt. Taking cost of living and everything into account, I would most likely be facing about twice the debt at Tulane (~90k vs ~180k, IF i keep my scholarship for all 3 years).

I don't really have a strong preference for where I want to work so I like that Tulane would give me a lot of options (strong regional and placement in NY/CA/TX), but most of my connections are to Chicago. I have visited both schools and I liked Tulane better, especially because I'd really like to one day do international work. I think I would really enjoy NOLA and everything Tulane has to offer, but i'm just not sure that I can justify the additional cost...

Before you ask: I am coming straight from undergrad so I am also contemplating the take a year off option. I will be retaking the LSAT in June (first take was with very minimal preparation as I had yet to discover TLS). I am also waitlisted at UNC, W&M, and W&L. I have yet to hear from IU-B.

Obviously I'm going to do my best to rock the LSAT in two weeks and hope for the best on my waitlists, but if neither of those work out, what would you pick in my situation?
Last edited by rollingby on Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tulane (sticker) vs Chicago-Kent (90k)

Postby traehekat » Tue May 25, 2010 1:28 am

Good luck on the LSAT - your current options aren't horrible but they could definitely improve. But in case they don't...

... go with Kent, no doubt. Money + connections + lack of regional preference = obvious choice.

Re: Tulane (sticker) vs Chicago-Kent (90k)

Postby JCougar » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 am

Kent for sure.

And don't trust Tulane's "starting salary" statistics. They're a bunch of BS. Chicago-Kent placed more people into biglaw than Tulane did for c/o 2009. Out of every school out there, Tulane's statistics are some of the most fudged and exaggerated. Also, Tulane will NOT give you a decent shot of practicing international law.

Tulane has greater geographical disbursement of its graduates, but that's because there isn't a huge legal industry in New Orleans. Kent places into Chicago because...well...there's good legal jobs in Chicago. Even at even money, I'd probably take Kent. The fact that they're giving you a huge scholarship makes this a no-brainer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”