Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Undecided1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Undecided1 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 pm

I am 22 years old and I graduated from Yeshiva University in May 2009. I took the year off and I am working as an administrative assistant, which I hate. I have been trying to find other jobs that have better growth potential, but have not had much luck. I applied to Law School with a 3.59 and a 157 LSAT Score.

I got into Hofstra, Saint John's, Seton Hall, Drexel, and Rutgers Camden part time program.
I am waitlisted at Brooklyn, Rutgers Newark, Villanova, and Temple.
I put a deposit down at Seton Hall and Rutgers Camden (for their part time evening program).

Will either of this schools get me anywhere? Does it effect career opportunities if i start in a part time evening program with the intention to switch into a full time program?

I am not sure if going to Law School is the right fit for me and now that I got the my acceptance results back I am not sure if going to a lower ranked Law school it worth it. I do not want a top firm job, I am female, married and eventually want to start a family. I do however want to get paid decently if i am going to spend the time and effort going to Law School.

I never liked English class or writing, but i do enjoy reading. I hate doing research papers. Does this indicate that Law is not a good fit for me?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby MURPH » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm

The standard answer is to study as hard as you have ever studied in your life for the LSAT and retake. Get into a better school and apply next cycle. (This is the standard TLS answer for anyone who doesn't get a 180 btw).
FWIW, I retook and improved my score by 5 points. It got me many scholarship offers and acceptances that I otherwise would not have gotten. I am waitlisted at half of the T14 and would not have had a chance without studying and retaking. Good Luck

Undecided1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Undecided1 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm

MURPH wrote:The standard answer is to study as hard as you have ever studied in your life for the LSAT and retake. Get into a better school and apply next cycle. (This is the standard TLS answer for anyone who doesn't get a 180 btw).
FWIW, I retook and improved my score by 5 points. It got me many scholarship offers and acceptances that I otherwise would not have gotten. I am waitlisted at half of the T14 and would not have had a chance without studying and retaking. Good Luck


Thanks MURPH.....any advice about if given my skill set I should be considering law school....meaning i do not like to write and do research papers.
Last edited by Undecided1 on Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Retake is actually not the right advice here. The right advice is 'don't go to law school.' There are some good reasons to go to law school, like "I really want to be a lawyer." And then there are some terrible reasons to go to law school. Like "I don't know what else to do" or "I want to get paid decently."

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Retake is actually not the right advice here. The right advice is 'don't go to law school.' There are some good reasons to go to law school, like "I really want to be a lawyer." And then there are some terrible reasons to go to law school. Like "I don't know what else to do" or "I want to get paid decently."


TITCR.

OP, since it sounds like you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

90% of being a lawyer is doing research and writing about it.

Do something else.

User avatar
wadeny
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby wadeny » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Retake is actually not the right advice here. The right advice is 'don't go to law school.' There are some good reasons to go to law school, like "I really want to be a lawyer." And then there are some terrible reasons to go to law school. Like "I don't know what else to do" or "I want to get paid decently."


+1. It doesn't sound like you're focused enough to be going to law school, at least right now. Your current job might be awful, but you shouldn't just take on a mountain of debt to go to law school without a clear goal in mind. If I were you, I would keep working and eventually (hopefully sooner than later) try to switch jobs and find something else that interests you. If you're absolutely set on going to law school, study very hard for a retake and apply again in another couple years. I mean, you're still pretty young and it's not like the option to go to law school is not going be there after this year. If anything, you'll probably be better off delaying it for a couple years to better gauge the legal job market. Good luck.

Undecided1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Undecided1 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm

+1. It doesn't sound like you're focused enough to be going to law school, at least right now. Your current job might be awful, but you shouldn't just take on a mountain of debt to go to law school without a clear goal in mind. If I were you, I would keep working and eventually (hopefully sooner than later) try to switch jobs and find something else that interests you. If you're absolutely set on going to law school, study very hard for a retake and apply again in another couple years. I mean, you're still pretty young and it's not like the option to go to law school is not going be there after this year. If anything, you'll probably be better off delaying it for a couple years to better gauge the legal job market. Good luck.[/quote]

even if i have money put aside to pay for law school?? I would not need to take out loans. I am eager to get my schooling done quickly because i want to be able to start a family at a young age.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Undecided1 wrote:+1. It doesn't sound like you're focused enough to be going to law school, at least right now. Your current job might be awful, but you shouldn't just take on a mountain of debt to go to law school without a clear goal in mind. If I were you, I would keep working and eventually (hopefully sooner than later) try to switch jobs and find something else that interests you. If you're absolutely set on going to law school, study very hard for a retake and apply again in another couple years. I mean, you're still pretty young and it's not like the option to go to law school is not going be there after this year. If anything, you'll probably be better off delaying it for a couple years to better gauge the legal job market. Good luck.


even if i have money put aside to pay for law school?? I would not need to take out loans. I am eager to get my schooling done quickly because i want to be able to start a family at a young age.[/quote]

Do you want to be a lawyer? Or do you just want to go to school and quit your job and have a family?

Seriously - Do not go to law school. I woudn't even recommend it if you had a full ride at a T14 at this point.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon May 24, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think you should go. The schools you got into are not worth $180,000+ of nondischargable debt for someone who doesn't like writing and who has little reason to believe she wants to be a lawyer. But there are other less expensive opportunities out there, and I'm sure you'll be successful/follow the right path for you.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Choose another career path seems like the correct advice.

Case2L
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Case2L » Mon May 24, 2010 9:41 pm

What type of job are you currently looking for?
What did you study at Yeshiva?

I ask these because maybe, if you have money saved up for grad school, that money would be better spent on a master's degree in a discipline that interests you more and will help you get a job that you really want.

Undecided1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Undecided1 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Case2L wrote:What type of job are you currently looking for?
What did you study at Yeshiva?

I ask these because maybe, if you have money saved up for grad school, that money would be better spent on a master's degree in a discipline that interests you more and will help you get a job that you really want.



I started as a psychology major, but switched to an economics major my senior year. So I ended up graduating with an economics major and a psychology minor. I have been looking into some other masters programs and i was thinking of

1. accounting (it is a short program and i will be able to find a decent job once i graduate)
2. social work ( i enjoy psychology, but dont have the classes to go for a PHD. Although, I am concerned about the job opportunities for a social worker.)

In terms of looking for other jobs, i sorta look all over. I do not really have a field i am targeting. I always thought i would do something in business but i guess that is a broad subject and i dont have or know a specific area in which i would be interested in.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Joe Biden » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 pm

keg411 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Retake is actually not the right advice here. The right advice is 'don't go to law school.' There are some good reasons to go to law school, like "I really want to be a lawyer." And then there are some terrible reasons to go to law school. Like "I don't know what else to do" or "I want to get paid decently."


TITCR.

OP, since it sounds like you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school.


I disagree. One of my friends was asked during orientation why he wanted to be a lawyer and his reply was, "I want to have a career where I can work in an air conditioned office for 40-45 hrs/week and make 70-80k/year." There is nothing wrong with this. This is certainly an obtainable goal. In fact, with 5-10 years experience you can find cushy in-house positions making 100-200k+/year, work 40-50 hrs/week, have decent benefits, paid vacation, an office, secretary/assistant, etc. This is not a bad reason for becoming an attorney.

I know several people whose goal is to work at a midsized firm, or in-house, get a decent paycheck and not work too hard. I am a rising 3L. These people have gotten decent grades, they work enough to do well, but not kill themselves and they will be able to achieve their goal. There is nothing wrong with not aspiring to be a SCOTUS clerk or BigLaw associate. People have different goals, and there is nothing wrong with that.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Joe Biden » Mon May 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Undecided1 wrote:I am 22 years old and I graduated from Yeshiva University in May 2009. I took the year off and I am working as an administrative assistant, which I hate. I have been trying to find other jobs that have better growth potential, but have not had much luck. I applied to Law School with a 3.59 and a 157 LSAT Score.

I got into Hofstra, Saint John's, Seton Hall, Drexel, and Rutgers Camden part time program.
I am waitlisted at Brooklyn, Rutgers Newark, Villanova, and Temple.
I put a deposit down at Seton Hall and Rutgers Camden (for their part time evening program).

Will either of this schools get me anywhere? Does it effect career opportunities if i start in a part time evening program with the intention to switch into a full time program?

I am not sure if going to Law School is the right fit for me and now that I got the my acceptance results back I am not sure if going to a lower ranked Law school it worth it. I do not want a top firm job, I am female, married and eventually want to start a family. I do however want to get paid decently if i am going to spend the time and effort going to Law School.

I never liked English class or writing, but i do enjoy reading. I hate doing research papers. Does this indicate that Law is not a good fit for me?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.


My understanding is that employers do not really care if you went part-time or full-time. There were quite a few part-time students in my 1L class. A very large number of these students successfully transferred into the full-time program their 2L year. Personally, I think the part-time program is a great idea. You get to take fewer classes, so you can concentrate more on the classes you have without overloading yourself. This is a great way to get good grades without killing yourself. If you take summer classes you can transfer into the full-time program and graduate in three years without a problem.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Joe Biden » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Undecided1 wrote:I am 22 years old and I graduated from Yeshiva University in May 2009. I took the year off and I am working as an administrative assistant, which I hate. I have been trying to find other jobs that have better growth potential, but have not had much luck. I applied to Law School with a 3.59 and a 157 LSAT Score.

I got into Hofstra, Saint John's, Seton Hall, Drexel, and Rutgers Camden part time program.
I am waitlisted at Brooklyn, Rutgers Newark, Villanova, and Temple.
I put a deposit down at Seton Hall and Rutgers Camden (for their part time evening program).

Will either of this schools get me anywhere? Does it effect career opportunities if i start in a part time evening program with the intention to switch into a full time program?

I am not sure if going to Law School is the right fit for me and now that I got the my acceptance results back I am not sure if going to a lower ranked Law school it worth it. I do not want a top firm job, I am female, married and eventually want to start a family. I do however want to get paid decently if i am going to spend the time and effort going to Law School.

I never liked English class or writing, but i do enjoy reading. I hate doing research papers. Does this indicate that Law is not a good fit for me?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.


This is the biggest problem you will encounter. There is a lot of writing in law school. However, if you love to read you are a step ahead out of the box. Furthermore, legal writing is different than any form of writing. If you are willing to learn and adapt, you will be able to work on your legal writing and be on an even playing field as everyone else.

If you do not want to work at a BigLaw firm, why would you take on the debt of a top private school? If your goal is a medium firm, in-house, etc. go to an affordable school like Rutgers-Camden. If you run up a lot of debt for law school it can be difficult to get out from under it unless you go to a BigLaw firm. If you get decent grades, get on journal, etc. BigLaw is definitely a possibility at Rutgers-Camden, if you change your mind. I know quite a few rising 3Ls who have summer jobs at BigLaw firms. These students will be extended job offers unless they screw up.

By the way, it is not extremely hard to get on journal from Rutgers Camden. There are three journals: The main journal, Law and Religion Journal and Law and Public Policy Journal. The requirement to try out is a GPA of 3.0+. Our average GPA is like a 3.2+ or something. Rutgers-Camden does not release average GPA, class rank, etc. so I am basing this off of grade distribution averages I have seen (which is a LOT). Everyone I know who tried out for journals got on one. Plus, everyone I know who wanted to run for editor or something as a 3L got their wish. Being an editor is a lot of work, so there are a lot of people who don't even want it. That makes it more obtainable for those who do.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Joe Biden » Mon May 24, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't want to be a jerk, but how many of you giving advice here are actually in law school? Are you 0Ls, or are you law school grads, or at least rising 2Ls?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Joe Biden wrote:I disagree. One of my friends was asked during orientation why he wanted to be a lawyer and his reply was, "I want to have a career where I can work in an air conditioned office for 40-45 hrs/week and make 70-80k/year." There is nothing wrong with this. This is certainly an obtainable goal. In fact, with 5-10 years experience you can find cushy in-house positions making 100-200k+/year, work 40-50 hrs/week, have decent benefits, paid vacation, an office, secretary/assistant, etc. This is not a bad reason for becoming an attorney.

I know several people whose goal is to work at a midsized firm, or in-house, get a decent paycheck and not work too hard. I am a rising 3L. These people have gotten decent grades, they work enough to do well, but not kill themselves and they will be able to achieve their goal. There is nothing wrong with not aspiring to be a SCOTUS clerk or BigLaw associate. People have different goals, and there is nothing wrong with that.


I do not know enough about other jobs/markets to warrant knowing whether it is true or not, but I think the point (of not choosing law school if the primary/only reason is money) is that there are other easier/less risky degree paths to getting that kind of lifestyle?

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 24, 2010 10:34 pm

You have to ask yourself if you really think you can do better on the LSAT than you just did.
If you go down, that will put you in the same position you're in now or possibly worse!
Some people can, some people can't. It's up to you to decide for yourself.
However, either.. take the risk and go with a "low-ranked" law school or reapply/retake.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Normally I would agree that school can be worth it, even for seemingly poor reasons, but OP seemingly doesn't like thing that lawyers need to do (i.e. the person hates research and writing), and it seems that the person wants to "fill time" and then start a family at a young age. The person isn't saying "I want a fat paycheck" it seems to me like it's "a want to go to school because I don't really want to get a job and I want something to hold me over until I get married/have kids".

This isn't a retake, re-apply because the person got into low ranked schools. I wouldn't even recommend that OP go to HYS because this seems prime for a quick drop out.

Undecided1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Undecided1 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 pm

keg411 wrote:Normally I would agree that school can be worth it, even for seemingly poor reasons, but OP seemingly doesn't like thing that lawyers need to do (i.e. the person hates research and writing), and it seems that the person wants to "fill time" and then start a family at a young age. The person isn't saying "I want a fat paycheck" it seems to me like it's "a want to go to school because I don't really want to get a job and I want something to hold me over until I get married/have kids".

This isn't a retake, re-apply because the person got into low ranked schools. I wouldn't even recommend that OP go to HYS because this seems prime for a quick drop out.


I want to finish school before i have children, but i will and want to work while i have a family. This is not something to hold me over, this is something that i can do for the rest of my life. Btw i am already married.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 pm

No, absolutely don't do it. If you hate writing you will REALLY hate legal writing - it's much worse than any English paper. You won't enjoy the reading either. Plus the jobs you can get will mostly not give you time for your family. DO NOT GO.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 pm

It sounds like law school is a poor choice for you.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Joe Biden wrote:
I disagree. One of my friends was asked during orientation why he wanted to be a lawyer and his reply was, "I want to have a career where I can work in an air conditioned office for 40-45 hrs/week and make 70-80k/year." There is nothing wrong with this. This is certainly an obtainable goal. In fact, with 5-10 years experience you can find cushy in-house positions making 100-200k+/year, work 40-50 hrs/week, have decent benefits, paid vacation, an office, secretary/assistant, etc. This is not a bad reason for becoming an attorney.

I know several people whose goal is to work at a midsized firm, or in-house, get a decent paycheck and not work too hard. I am a rising 3L. These people have gotten decent grades, they work enough to do well, but not kill themselves and they will be able to achieve their goal. There is nothing wrong with not aspiring to be a SCOTUS clerk or BigLaw associate. People have different goals, and there is nothing wrong with that.


Contrary to the way you set up your story, there are in fact tons of people who go to law school thinking just like your friends - "Well I don't want something UNREASONABLE, just an easy job that pays me a way-above-average salary for my mediocre ability." Such jobs are harder and harder to come by. Law is by nature not a field that lends itself to short hours or lack of drive, unless you work in a very sleepy place.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Should I go to Law School??I Seriously need advice!

Postby krj02004 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:58 pm

It sounds like you really just want to be a SAHM but can't afford to. That isn't a bad thing at all...my mom was the best SAHM ever. However, this is a poor motivation to succeed in law school. You will just be resentful of studying and doing something you don't like... and possibly end up dropping out. I'm a mother myself and I understand you wanting financial security and a better paying job, but my desire to go to law school specifically has NOTHING to do with getting a good job. I want to be a lawyer. Law school is a big investment... if you only plan on coming home to raise a family after a few years, then you have wasted a lot of money.

My advice is to get a masters degree in clinical social work or clinical psychology. There are plenty of jobs in social work.... but they pay horrible. There is a shortage of clinical social workers, however, so they pay better because the demand is high. Especially if you work for a hospital. It pays about $45k-60k/year. That will be the highest you would make.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests