Harvard v. UChicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

now off the H waitlist, where to?

UChicago
70
29%
Harvard
174
71%
 
Total votes: 244

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

mike7174 wrote:you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113740

props for quoting your thread... I like it!!

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

mike7174 wrote:you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113740


Wow, thank you for that insightful post. And, if that wasn't enough, you had to go resurrect that gem of a thread immediately afterward.

OP, I actually think this would be a bit of a tough call given the 60k and your personal preferences. I thought Professor Strahilevitz had an interesting point during that mock class when he said that no other schools adds as much value to its students as Chicago (and I tend to think he might be right given the quarter system, RIGOR, etc.). That said, I'd still probably have to go with HLS (unless Chicago can toss you a bit more) simply because 1) you can always ramp up rigor by taking on additional extracurriculars or gunning for Hs and 2) you may end up wanting to transition outside of the legal field down the road, in which case having Harvard on your resume could give you a decisive edge. Good luck!

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby miamiman » Mon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
mike7174 wrote:you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113740


Wow, thank you for that insightful post. And, if that wasn't enough, you had to go resurrect that gem of a thread immediately afterward.

OP, I actually think this would be a bit of a tough call given the 60k and your personal preferences. I thought Professor Strahilevitz had an interesting point during that mock class when he said that no other schools adds as much value to its students as Chicago (and I tend to think he might be right given the quarter system, RIGOR, etc.). That said, I'd still probably have to go with HLS (unless Chicago can toss you a bit more) simply because 1) you can always ramp up rigor by taking on additional extracurriculars or gunning for Hs and 2) you may end up wanting to transition outside of the legal field down the road, in which case having Harvard on your resume could give you a decisive edge. Good luck!



wait, AA, I missed that class. what did Prof. Strahilevitz have to say about added value?

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Mattalones » Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Harvard v. UChicago? ... you should ask Obama :lol:

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
mike7174 wrote:you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113740


Wow, thank you for that insightful post. And, if that wasn't enough, you had to go resurrect that gem of a thread immediately afterward.

OP, I actually think this would be a bit of a tough call given the 60k and your personal preferences. I thought Professor Strahilevitz had an interesting point during that mock class when he said that no other schools adds as much value to its students as Chicago (and I tend to think he might be right given the quarter system, RIGOR, etc.). That said, I'd still probably have to go with HLS (unless Chicago can toss you a bit more) simply because 1) you can always ramp up rigor by taking on additional extracurriculars or gunning for Hs and 2) you may end up wanting to transition outside of the legal field down the road, in which case having Harvard on your resume could give you a decisive edge. Good luck!

Hopefully you caught my sarcasm in my prior post... anyways...

I appreciate your insight... If I hadn't been to Chicago I'd go to Harvard now... but I was very impressed by UChi while I was there, the faculty and staff both seemed very committed to their students...

It just amazes me how many very pro-chicago people (myself included) say harvard - I guess that's saying something in-and-of itself

EDIT - he just said that Chicago adds more value to its students than any other school b/c of the rigor and the quarters and contact with faculty, etc

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Mattalones wrote:Harvard v. UChicago? ... you should ask Obama :lol:

I would but I broke my last phone that had his number saved in it... and he's not responding to my facebook group "lost my phone need your numbers again"

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Only 10 TLSers on Harvard's waitlist?

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Only 10 TLSers on Harvard's waitlist?


At this point yeah, since most of the WL action has passed. Sniffle.

But yeah Swimbrad, like Emrose said, try to squeeze more money from UChicago.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Mattalones » Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm

swimbrad wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Harvard v. UChicago? ... you should ask Obama :lol:

I would but I broke my last phone that had his number saved in it... and he's not responding to my facebook group "lost my phone need your numbers again"

I wonder what he would say. Tell me if you find his # :lol:

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Only 10 TLSers on Harvard's waitlist?


At this point yeah, since most of the WL action has passed. Sniffle.

But yeah Swimbrad, like Emrose said, try to squeeze more money from UChicago.

I see you here - thanks for stopping by - and I had that same thought when I woke up this morning... such is not longer the case

They're not throwing any more money my way... tried to negotiate when I had the Levy at Penn and Karla basically said, we only offer two amounts more than we're giving you now - and you're NOT getting them. Actually, you should consider yourself lucky that we gave you any money in the first place...

at that point, I agreed and moved on ;)

@ mattalones - will do fo sho

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm

This is why Harvard is better than UChicago, beacause Harvard is Harvard and UChicago is UChicago. Harvard has better everything, not everything about Harvard is a lot better, sometimes it's only a little better, but its always at least equal, and usually better. I would go to UChicago in a heartbeat if I could get in and I would be thrilled, but my friends that go there, tell me the place is a social pit, the people and profs (for them most part) are utterly depressing. Chicago sucks during the winter and UChicago (the atmosphere) sucks even more during the winter. It's a wintery grave where funs goes to die, a cold, lonely death. It's full of really smart people, most of whom, have an inferiority complex cause they didn't get into Hls or yls, that makes some of them less than pleasant to be around. Please just go to Harvard, for your own good, after all its Harvard, and if for no other reason, when you go out you can drop the H-Bomb. It works wonders at bars and clubs.

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:This is why Harvard is better than UChicago, beacause Harvard is Harvard and UChicago is UChicago. Harvard has better everything, not everything about Harvard is a lot better, sometimes it's only a little better, but its always at least equal, and usually better. I would go to UChicago in a heartbeat if I could get in and I would be thrilled, but my friends that go there, tell me the place is a social pit, the people and profs (for them most part) are utterly depressing. Chicago sucks during the winter and UChicago (the atmosphere) sucks even more during the winter. It's a wintery grave where funs goes to die, a cold, lonely death. It's full of really smart people, most of whom, have an inferiority complex cause they didn't get into Hls or yls, that makes some of them less than pleasant to be around. Please just go to Harvard, for your own good, after all its Harvard, and if for no other reason, when you go out you can drop the H-Bomb. It works wonders at bars and clubs.


LOL

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:This is why Harvard is better than UChicago, beacause Harvard is Harvard and UChicago is UChicago. Harvard has better everything, not everything about Harvard is a lot better, sometimes it's only a little better, but its always at least equal, and usually better. I would go to UChicago in a heartbeat if I could get in and I would be thrilled, but my friends that go there, tell me the place is a social pit, the people and profs (for them most part) are utterly depressing. Chicago sucks during the winter and UChicago (the atmosphere) sucks even more during the winter. It's a wintery grave where funs goes to die, a cold, lonely death. It's full of really smart people, most of whom, have an inferiority complex cause they didn't get into Hls or yls, that makes some of them less than pleasant to be around. Please just go to Harvard, for your own good, after all its Harvard, and if for no other reason, when you go out you can drop the H-Bomb. It works wonders at bars and clubs.

This is a good reply... but I think I'm gonna have an inferiority complex either way - courtesy of a public-school upbringing (including UG and masters)... but i think it's good for me...

Isn't Boston like cold and shitty too? It's way north and stuff (if you haven't guessed it - I haven't spend a lot of time on the east coast - I'm southern/mid-western)

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm

lol...thats why you need hls...there will be an initial inferiority complex when you get to harvard...but after a while it will fade away (for the most part) and while hls may not be a cure all for public ug complex's its as close to a cure as your gonna get. Besides when you name drop at bars outside of chicago at lot of chicks are gonna think uchicago is like Chicago's CUNY.

Caveat-if you have to explain how good your school is to a girl, you've already lost that battle.

Yeah, Boston is cold and shitty too, but less windy. I love the city of chicago ( i live there but I'm from the south too) but uofc's campus is outside downtown, its in the hood and it's just depressing during the winter. During the summer and late spring, harvard and boston are cool. UofC is never cool although summer time chi is great (but if you wanna be in chi during the summers, go to hls and do summer internships in chi, problem solved, that way you avoid the shittness of chicago winters which bascially goes from mid-late october to june(only slightly kidding). Plus, Harvard's campus envrionment is just better imao, and again remember the H-Bomb (I know several hot girls-reasonably smart-who have admitted that the H-Bomb is effective, again its not a cure all but its a handy asset.

Ever heard of a UofC bomb, don't think so, why...there isn't one unless it destroys fun, social lives, self respect, dignity, confidence, the joy of life, the desire to live, stuff like that.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Rock Chalk » Mon May 24, 2010 3:59 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:OP, I actually think this would be a bit of a tough call given the 60k and your personal preferences. I thought Professor Strahilevitz had an interesting point during that mock class when he said that no other schools adds as much value to its students as Chicago (and I tend to think he might be right given the quarter system, RIGOR, etc.). That said, I'd still probably have to go with HLS (unless Chicago can toss you a bit more) simply because 1) you can always ramp up rigor by taking on additional extracurriculars or gunning for Hs and 2) you may end up wanting to transition outside of the legal field down the road, in which case having Harvard on your resume could give you a decisive edge. Good luck!

+1. I'd probably take Harvard too, but I think the difficulty of the decision is being discounted. I actually think OP should visit Harvard before deciding, if for no other reason than to fall in love with Cambridge and take the uncertainty out of the decision.

To OP - you can't lose. Congrats on your options.

Thanks for the kind words.. I think I'm going to fly up early Thurs morning and be up there Thurs afternoon and Friday and maybe stay until Sat morning... any suggestions as to what to do/see, besides the obvious?

Ps - thanks for not making be feel nuts about this being a hard decision

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon May 24, 2010 4:09 pm

a few questions:

- to what extent do you think uchicago's quarter system, brutal winters, hyde park surroundings, and relatively difficult curve might impact your quality of life?

- since you want to work at an elite biglaw firm, to what extent do you think $60,000, payable over a long and potentially lucrative career, is worth even marginally inferior oci prospects?

i realize that you might have considered these questions a while ago, but i feel like it makes some sense to state the basic trade offs that you're making explicitly. hopefully, you end up pleased with whatever you choose.

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon May 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:lol...thats why you need hls...there will be an initial inferiority complex when you get to harvard...but after a while it will fade away (for the most part) and while hls may not be a cure all for public ug complex's its as close to a cure as your gonna get. Besides when you name drop at bars outside of chicago at lot of chicks are gonna think uchicago is like Chicago's CUNY.

Caveat-if you have to explain how good your school is to a girl, you've already lost that battle.

Yeah, Boston is cold and shitty too, but less windy. I love the city of chicago ( i live there but I'm from the south too) but uofc's campus is outside downtown, its in the hood and it's just depressing during the winter. During the summer and late spring, harvard and boston are cool. UofC is never cool although summer time chi is great (but if you wanna be in chi during the summers, go to hls and do summer internships in chi, problem solved, that way you avoid the shittness of chicago winters which bascially goes from mid-late october to june(only slightly kidding). Plus, Harvard's campus envrionment is just better imao, and again remember the H-Bomb (I know several hot girls-reasonably smart-who have admitted that the H-Bomb is effective, again its not a cure all but its a handy asset.

Ever heard of a UofC bomb, don't think so, why...there isn't one unless it destroys fun, social lives, self respect, dignity, confidence, the joy of life, the desire to live, stuff like that.


Haha preach it. BTW Joga Bonito, you rooting for Brazil in the WC? v/c e brasileiro?

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 4:23 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:a few questions:

- to what extent do you think uchicago's quarter system, brutal winters, hyde park surroundings, and relatively difficult curve might impact your quality of life?

- since you want to work at an elite biglaw firm, to what extent do you think $60,000, payable over a long and potentially lucrative career, is worth even marginally inferior oci prospects?

Knew you'd come through...

I think the winters would blow, but having been in the midwest the last five years... the winters here blow equally hard (well... prly not that bad... but you know)
Hyde Park, although it sounds awful didn't seem too bad during my visit, sure the south-side is kinda decrepit, it is what it is
I think the quarters would be a good thing, the opportunity to take more classes, plus only 2 finals after the first quarter.... plus two weeks of spring break with nothing to worry about during it (b/c the quarter closed before it started and a new one opens afterwards)
The curve - this is probably the biggest selling point --> it would be great not to fight for grades, but if I could be at the top, the nice part of the curve is that it would be easy to identify myself as such... whereas with Harvard's system, how to you distinguish yourself from everyone else with a mix of HP's and P's - esp if your looking for a V50 or esp. V10 or V5 gig...

Onto the last question... the $60k - it's probably not a deciding factor, I mean... I turned down $110k at Penn for $60k at Chicago, so that should give some indication of where on stand on debt, but are the differences so that H is worth an extra $60k. I think I can say pretty equivocally that Chicago was worth $50k more than Penn... (I'm really making a stupid argument here - and I'm aware, so don't yell at me - I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove, other than I'm a moron) I guess the point is, the money's not a huge issue...

I think the hard part is that I gave up on Harvard when I got WL'd so I've spent the last month and change convincing myself that Chicago is perfect for ME b/c of x, y and z (right... to soften the blow and make me feel better about not getting into the Trinity)... so there's a major comfort factor w/ Chicago - I've got some family and some friends up there (actually lived on the north side for a bit) and both my parents are from the 'burbs (although we now live in the southern US)... and I've never been to Boston... (I know... tell me I'm nuts... it's cool)

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon May 24, 2010 4:40 pm

miamiman wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
mike7174 wrote:you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113740


Wow, thank you for that insightful post. And, if that wasn't enough, you had to go resurrect that gem of a thread immediately afterward.

OP, I actually think this would be a bit of a tough call given the 60k and your personal preferences. I thought Professor Strahilevitz had an interesting point during that mock class when he said that no other schools adds as much value to its students as Chicago (and I tend to think he might be right given the quarter system, RIGOR, etc.). That said, I'd still probably have to go with HLS (unless Chicago can toss you a bit more) simply because 1) you can always ramp up rigor by taking on additional extracurriculars or gunning for Hs and 2) you may end up wanting to transition outside of the legal field down the road, in which case having Harvard on your resume could give you a decisive edge. Good luck!



wait, AA, I missed that class. what did Prof. Strahilevitz have to say about added value?


Pretty much the stuff in parentheses & what swimbrad added in his edit (in other words, the reasons you'd expect). I just thought that was an interesting perspective and I'm surprised the Dean didn't hit that point a little harder, though I suppose it was the underlying theme of his address to the admits.

swimbrad wrote:Hopefully you caught my sarcasm in my prior post... anyways...


I caught it. :wink:

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
I caught it. :wink:

excellent - it often gets lost over the interwebz... something I have yet to master... although I'm thinking about taking a class entitled "Al Gore's Guide to the WWW, b/c I invented it" as 1L Prep

User avatar
Barolo
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby Barolo » Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Consider median. I think it probably looks slightly better at Harvard. That said, I think one can kick just as much ass out of Chicago.

Good for you, man. You couldn't make a bad choice.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

swimbrad wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
I caught it. :wink:

excellent - it often gets lost over the interwebz... something I have yet to master... although I'm thinking about taking a class entitled "Al Gore's Guide to the WWW, b/c I invented it" as 1L Prep


You hear that APNS? You sure you want to deal with another 1L prepping gunner up there in Cambridge?

Chicago beckons you into its icy bosom, child. Come to it.

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Barolo wrote:Consider median. I think it probably looks slightly better at Harvard. That said, I think one can kick just as much ass out of Chicago.

Good for you, man. You couldn't make a bad choice.

this is the valid grades/no-grades argument I intentionally left out because it's clearly pro-Harvard :)

caught me on that one!

AngryAvocado wrote:
swimbrad wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
I caught it. :wink:

excellent - it often gets lost over the interwebz... something I have yet to master... although I'm thinking about taking a class entitled "Al Gore's Guide to the WWW, b/c I invented it" as 1L Prep


You hear that APNS? You sure you want to deal with another 1L prepping gunner up there in Cambridge?

Chicago beckons you into its icy bosom, child. Come to it.

Made me laugh out loud in the library (getting strange looks from the other sorry bastard stuck in here... studying for the CPA)
that is all - props on jokes!

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Postby miamiman » Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 pm

ITE, a phenomena which I suspect will endure at least for several more years, Harvard's sub-median student is measurably safer than Chicago's. That alone would seal the decision for me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carasrook, Tiago Splitter and 2 guests