Harvard v. UChicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

now off the H waitlist, where to?

UChicago
29%
Harvard
71%

Total votes: 245

swimbrad

Bronze

Harvard v. UChicago

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 12:08 pm

So... this is probably going to sound pretentious, and I apologize in advance :)

So - about me... I just finished my masters in accounting and am finishing up the CPA now....

Career Goals: Elite firm (V10 in my dreams/wishes) would like to practice M&A, possibly a clerkship, and an interest somewhere in the back of my mind of academia (but not serious enough to heavily influence my decision

Chicago - Liked it there, have a nice place to live, enjoy the city, fairly close to home, comfortable in the midwest and know people in the chicago-land area, major interest in the law and economics approach, not really scared by the "rigor", got $60k from them.

Harvard - ??? I mean - it's harvard, never been to boston and have 2 weeks to decide... trying to find flights now!

Thanks in advance for all your help, let me knwo if you need more info

James Bond

Gold

Re: Harvard v. UChicago

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Go to Harvard you clown

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:10 pm

If you can't figure this out then...Chicago for you, definitely Chicago.

*facepalm*

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon May 24, 2010 12:12 pm

James Bond wrote:Go to Harvard you clown

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 pm

yea... this was kinda what i was figuring the answers would be (which i DO appreciate). I'm just trying to nail down some of the concrete reasons H is better (beside the obvious H is fawking amazing :) )

ps - good to hear from you APNS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 pm

swimbrad wrote:yea... this was kinda what i was figuring the answers would be (which i DO appreciate). I'm just trying to nail down some of the concrete reasons H is better (beside the obvious H is fawking amazing :) )

ps - good to hear from you APNS
holy crap. congrats on the success bro!!!!!!1

i fully expect to be seeing you next fall. i'm currently using a phone so not in a position to really lay out an argument until perhaps later, but dude this is a no brainer.

fucking congrats again though man, this is fantastic news.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Mon May 24, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm sure a lot of people pick UofC over Harvard for personal/family/love Chicago reasons, and there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if you are just planning on working in Biglaw and don't have any dreams of being a professor or ambassador to the UN. Harvard is Harvard, but Chicago is a spectacular school with great prospects. People on this board tend to underestimate the value of personal preference and happiness. When you are talking about elite schools, you should always go to the one that fits best with your career goals and personal happiness.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Why is Harvard better than Chicago? I'm not sure there really are concrete answers to that in terms of legal academics but it is better in terms of prestige.

People, including future employers and judges will think you're smarter just b/c you went to Harvard. That first impression is very important b/c everything else will be viewed through that prism.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies so far... I appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Mon May 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Echoing "go to Harvard, you clown" :P Yay for last-minute waitlist admissions!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

IB the xo link

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon May 24, 2010 12:32 pm

As a soon to be Chicago 1L who is usually extolling the virtues and advantages of Chicago, I vote H in this case. I don't think it's necessarily an open and shut case, but the sort of strong factors (MORE money, really strong family connections IN the city, STRONG geographic preference, etc.) that would put Chicago in a stronger position just aren't present in your case. There's just not enough working against Harvard for this to go the other way.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Rand M. wrote:As a soon to be Chicago 1L who is usually extolling the virtues and advantages of Chicago, I vote H in this case. I don't think it's necessarily an open and shut case, but the sort of strong factors (MORE money, really strong family connections IN the city, STRONG geographic preference, etc.) that would put Chicago in a stronger position just aren't present in your case. There's just not enough working against Harvard for this to go the other way.
I did get $60k from UChicago... not that that really matters... (i'm mean, this whole lawl school thing is what - $200k?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

swimbrad wrote:
Rand M. wrote:As a soon to be Chicago 1L who is usually extolling the virtues and advantages of Chicago, I vote H in this case. I don't think it's necessarily an open and shut case, but the sort of strong factors (MORE money, really strong family connections IN the city, STRONG geographic preference, etc.) that would put Chicago in a stronger position just aren't present in your case. There's just not enough working against Harvard for this to go the other way.
I did get $60k from UChicago... not that that really matters... (i'm mean, this whole lawl school thing is what - $200k?)
Eh, that does change it somewhat. Wait to see if Harvard offers you any assistance. But 60k should not be laughed at especially considering it will be $20k not bearing interest for 3 years, 20k not bearing interest for 2 years, and 20k not bearing interest for 1 year. So forth. Then over time that interest being compounded.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

legends159 wrote:Why is Harvard better than Chicago? I'm not sure there really are concrete answers to that in terms of legal academics but it is better in terms of prestige.

People, including future employers and judges will think you're smarter just b/c you went to Harvard. That first impression is very important b/c everything else will be viewed through that prism.
That doesn't hold with UChicago.

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:52 pm

depends on your interests. some people would argue that uchicago is a more 'academic' law school, with its journals occupying a place of prominence in academic and political circles. at the same time, harvards journals also tend to be politically influential. i also believe chicago is a smaller program, so it depends on what kind of community you want.

i understand your problem, harvard would be a tough school to turn down. good luck with your decision.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:depends on your interests. some people would argue that uchicago is a more 'academic' law school, with its journals occupying a place of prominence in academic and political circles. at the same time, harvards journals also tend to be politically influential. i also believe chicago is a smaller program, so it depends on what kind of community you want.

i understand your problem, harvard would be a tough school to turn down. good luck with your decision.
I think this is part of my problem. I am somewhat excited about the possibility of going some place sorta intense, b/c I never felt very academically challenged at my Big 12 school. I had a great time here and all, but it's definitely not a top-20 school. My graduate program was about 100 kids and I liked the smallness because it enhanced my relationships with both faculty, the admin folks and my classmates. But I've never really been a part of a huge class to the extent that I would know what that was like.

sorry for the incoherent ramblings, but I think you did a good job at identifying what's keeping UChi in the race

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 pm

If you could leverage your Harvard acceptance for more money at UChi I'd say it'd be a strong contender. Otherwise though I'd think it wasn't much of a contest....

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Mon May 24, 2010 2:10 pm

kittenmittons wrote:IB the xo link
+1

anybody?

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

beef wellington wrote:
+1

anybody?
If it's reposted, Please let there be some paragraphing or at lest some punctuation... it's so hard to read

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

beef wellington wrote:
+1

anybody?
lol that was the 1st thing i thought of when i saw the thread title

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

swimbrad wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
+1

anybody?
If it's reposted, Please let there be some paragraphing or at lest some punctuation... it's so hard to read
aw, it's not as much fun if OP's already seen it. go to Harvard, OP, and congrats.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:24 pm

beef wellington wrote:
swimbrad wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
+1

anybody?
aw, it's not as much fun if OP's already seen it. go to Harvard, OP, and congrats.
I mean I had to read it... it's who I was gonna be right?

Thanks for the wishes - and ps, your 'tar makes me hungry

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm

you have to be kidding....HARVARD

see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=113740

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

I think you'd do fine with Chicago but Harvard's better- so Harvard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”