Cornell v. GW ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell v. GW

GW ($$$)
53%
Cornell
47%

Total votes: 89

Bankhead

Re: Cornell v. GW ($$$)

Postby Bankhead » Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 pm

I would take GW here, no question. I hear Cornell is really struggling, ITE. GW is a great school, and in a location where you can network if you don't perform in a stellar manner.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu May 27, 2010 5:14 pm

I was also accepted at Cornell on Friday, and that's where I've decided to go. I had over 30K/year from Fordham in need/merit aid. While unique to my situation, I feel like a lot of the advice in the thread I made would apply to you too: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118238. Ultimately, I think you should follow your gut. You can obsess over the figures all day, and in our case, I don't think they tell the whole story. I don't think you can really go wrong either way - both are great schools.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 27, 2010 5:14 pm

I still think neither is a great deal, but 10K isn't enough to really give Fordham much thought if NYC and corporate law are what you want. Go to Cornell, get roommates and try to live as frugally as possible while you are there.

sanibel1376 wrote:I have a similar decision to make...Cornell (sticker) vs. Fordham (10k per yr) however, I received less of a scholarship than you, but I would be commuting from home and saving approx. 10k per yr as well....I am pretty sure I will not be receiving any financial aid too...

I want to go into corporate law and work in nyc...will the long term benefits of Cornell outweigh the added costs?

did you make your final decision? I am leaning towards Cornell, but its a tough choice, esp since I just found out that I was accepted to Cornell yesterday and have been set on Fordham for the past month.

Any advice???

Thanks!

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:20 pm

yabbadabbado wrote: I'd try to get more $ out of GW if you can.

Are there any other schools that have offered you money?

I was offered nice scholarships at a few other schools, but their deadlines have already passed and GW has sent out enough emails about how they aren't increasing aid that I believe them. So I'm pretty sure my current offer is my final one at GW.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:There are some mid-market firms that hire new grads and have SA programs but not many. Basically your odds of getting a job like that are very low. Even if you go to a top school, if you do not get a biglaw job and you go to a law firm, odds are you will be making around $50K or less.

ITE, even grads of good schools would be happy to take a job that paid $50K at a stable firm with decent benefits.

Ronaldo wrote:I have also read in other posts that its biglaw (160,000) or 40,000. I find hard to believe that this is true. Is there midlaw firms that pay 80,000 or 120,000 etc.
I am sure I will follow the private practice route.

Well, yeah but as an accountant I could also make 50k with good benefits and I could probably have gotten a Big 4 job with my grades...

Let's hope the economy gets better in a year!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 27, 2010 6:14 pm

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:I have also read in other posts that its biglaw (160,000) or 40,000. I find hard to believe that this is true. Is there midlaw firms that pay 80,000 or 120,000 etc.
I am sure I will follow the private practice route.

They exist. There are fewer of them, who hire fewer attorneys, and recruit less from new grads. Not something to rely on, not the fallback if you 'miss biglaw'. Most people who miss biglaw would chew off a limb or two from a 'midlaw' firm paying 80-120K. Some get them, and good for them - but there are maaaaaaaaaany fewer job opportunities for new grads with such firms.

So, if you get a 50k job. Will you stay with the same pay for many years or can you assume you will be promoted in the forseeable future (5 yrish?)

Postby 20160810 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 pm

TLSers love usnews rankings, but if this were me I'd take the money and never look back.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Totally depends on the place you work, practice area, the economy, what kind of experience you've been getting, etc. Many small firms do not give big promotions because they can't afford to or the small number of partners who are running the show prefer to hoard money for themselves. It's not unheard of for smaller firms to give only minuscule raises each year, or no raises at all. Take a look at websites of smaller law firms and read the attorney bios.

Example:

"Joe Smith joined the firm in 2001 and is an associate in the _____ practice group at _____ . "

Big promotions are nothing to bank on. Unless you've got some kind of in-demand special talent that no one else has or have some way to bring in lots of business and dollars, your salary won't be going up by much at most of these places within 5 years.

Ronaldo wrote:So, if you get a 50k job. Will you stay with the same pay for many years or can you assume you will be promoted in the forseeable future (5 yrish?)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”