Poll: What Schools Would You Pay Sticker At? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Schools At Which You Would Pay Sticker

None
1%
HYS
13%
top 6
20%
top 14
31%
top 20
13%
top 30
9%
Tier 1
9%
Tier 2
4%

Total votes: 208

people want what

New

Poll: What Schools Would You Pay Sticker At?

Post by people want what » Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Assuming

(1) that some schools are at least worth sticker, and
(2) that you're not mad at me for ending a sentence with a preposition,

when is it safe to pay sticker? If ever . . .

miamiman

Silver

Re: Poll: What Schools Would You Pay Sticker At?

Post by miamiman » Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I did this already.

people want what

New

Post by people want what » Sun May 23, 2010 9:51 pm

miamiman wrote:I did this already.

Prove it.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 pm

HYS

in an alternate universe where i already have advanced degrees, a career, and a savings account with substantially more than $300, extremely cheap local schools (eg UNebraska) might be a possibility depending on what i would be doing with that law degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:58 pm

oh but where was the POLL!

people want what

New

Post by people want what » Sun May 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun May 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Most likely T6, were I faced with a lack of financial options.

I'd probably take decent money ($25,000/year or so) at a T14 over sticker at CCN, though. For me, I definitely would've taken $75,000 over sticker at Columbia.

For folks who have a realistic expectation of LS though, I don't think paying sticker at your dream school (as I'll possibly be doing 2L and 3L) is bad at all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 pm

It isn't an option, but I'd pay sticker for T10. So I voted T6, because given my personal goals, I couldn't possibly justify paying sticker at Georgetown or Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 pm

These threads exist for no other reason than to give people another excuse to brag about how great they are.

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:It isn't an option, but I'd pay sticker for T10. So I voted T6, because given my personal goals, I couldn't possibly justify paying sticker at Georgetown or Cornell.
+1, beat me to it. I couldn't pay sticker at g-town, but I could at umich

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun May 23, 2010 10:26 pm

ppa840 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:It isn't an option, but I'd pay sticker for T10. So I voted T6, because given my personal goals, I couldn't possibly justify paying sticker at Georgetown or Cornell.
+1, beat me to it. I couldn't pay sticker at g-town, but I could at umich
+2 I'll be paying sticker at Michigan and would have taken the $$$ at Vandy over sticker at Cornell or Georgetown.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun May 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Probably nowhere except for Yale, because of LIPP. I took my $$$ at a T14 and didn't look back, especially since I didn't apply to CCNHYS to start with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Top 20 is hilariously arbitrary; top 30 much less so, but still an odd distinction.

HTH

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sun May 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Top 30 minus IUB, W&M, and Davis. Undecided on Iowa. I'm planning on most likely going into IBR-qualifying work and am less debt-averse than most to begin with though; YMMV.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon May 24, 2010 12:39 am

sticker or not sticker is not really the question. the question is debt level. there are other sources of financial aid than just scholarships/grants.

for instance, I would pay sticker at a T1 (Davis, Hastings, UW, CU-B) as long as it cost less than 100k debt (in fact I am paying sticker at one of these schools). Each of those options is arguably a better choice than a T2 at half tuition (Denver, Seattle, Santa Clara, Loyola, etc.)

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 am

I'm a crazy splitter. I'm paying sticker at the best school that accepts me. If that's T14, T20, T30, T50 or whatever, it's my best shot at a future and I'm taking it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Mon May 24, 2010 1:36 am

General Tso wrote:sticker or not sticker is not really the question. the question is debt level. there are other sources of financial aid than just scholarships/grants.

for instance, I would pay sticker at a T1 (Davis, Hastings, UW, CU-B) as long as it cost less than 100k debt (in fact I am paying sticker at one of these schools). Each of those options is arguably a better choice than a T2 at half tuition (Denver, Seattle, Santa Clara, Loyola, etc.)
so how are you keeping your debt below 100K at one of those schools?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 am

BigA wrote:
General Tso wrote:sticker or not sticker is not really the question. the question is debt level. there are other sources of financial aid than just scholarships/grants.

Eating General Tso's...duh

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon May 24, 2010 2:07 am

BigA wrote:

My living expenses are about 1/2 that suggested by my school's budget. I do this by living far outside my school's city with 3 roommates. My parents are graciously paying about $10,000 per year toward my tuition. I had about 35k savings from working prior to law school. And I inherited a partial interest in my grandfather's property, although the estate hasn't yet settled. I think it will settle before my 3rd year of school.

I am pretty lucky, and I understand that others are not in such circumstances. But even without all of the parent support/savings/inheritance, I think I would have taken a scholarship to one of those T2s. 100k debt is pretty much the max in my opinion for a non T20. That is especially true if you are looking for private sector work.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 am

Top20 outside of Boalt, UCLA, and USC. Stanford is actually a valid slingshot back to the east coast/midwest, so if they'll have me I'm willing to pay sticker.

That said, if Stanford will have me most likely so will Mich/NU/Penn/the like with money. And I would take those schools with money over Stanford in a heartbeat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 am

motiontodismiss wrote:Top20 outside of Boalt, UCLA, and USC. Stanford is actually a valid slingshot back to the east coast/midwest, so if they'll have me I'm willing to pay sticker.

That said, if Stanford will have me most likely so will Mich/NU/Penn/the like with money. And I would take those schools with money over Stanford in a heartbeat.
Who raped you when you visited California?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:18 am

BigA wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Top20 outside of Boalt, UCLA, and USC. Stanford is actually a valid slingshot back to the east coast/midwest, so if they'll have me I'm willing to pay sticker.

The Governator.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed May 26, 2010 10:15 am

BigA wrote:

I live here. And I can't wait to get out of here. For good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”