Any risk in telling a school you're unhappy with them? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Iconoclast

Bronze

Re: Any risk in telling a school you're unhappy with them?

Post by Iconoclast » Mon May 24, 2010 11:42 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:What is the point? You are withdrawing anyway, so just let it go. You have nothing to gain out of it, and potentially something to lose if you piss them off.
I agree with this. What is the best case outcome? They apologize and say they will try to do better in the future? That doesn't really benefit you at all.

Worst case? You piss someone off. Someone who may or may not be in a position to influence your future at some point down the road.

There isn't a lot of risk in this situation. But there is even less to gain. Just let it go.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Regionality wrote: Plus, I don't agree I have nothing to gain. Getting a response would be something to gain...having the dean think "now this guy actually says what he thinks and does it in an intelligent and classy way" is something to gain.
He could also think, "Wow, how did we ever let this guy slip through the cracks??" And then fly to your house to personally offer you a full ride plus stipend.

Or not.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 am

Iconoclast wrote:
Regionality wrote: Plus, I don't agree I have nothing to gain. Getting a response would be something to gain...having the dean think "now this guy actually says what he thinks and does it in an intelligent and classy way" is something to gain.
He could also think, "Wow, how did we ever let this guy slip through the cracks??" And then fly to your house to personally offer you a full ride plus stipend.

Or not.
rofl

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 2:19 am

Sias wrote:
Regionality wrote:Hi all,

So I am withdrawing from a school today and in the end I have felt they have handled their admissions process with me pretty terribly. Is there a risk in sending them a withdrawal email and giving them a polite piece of my mind in the withdrawal? I feel like I have nothing to lose with regards to this specific school, and the only risk might be if they told other schools.

Should these adcoms be told when we're unhappy?
What happened during the admissions process that you felt was poorly handled? I personally find it difficult to give advice without knowing, as some people tend to be less reasonable than others.
A few things.
1) I was told I was nominated for a scholarship and that I would receive info about it shortly...it took them two months (with me regularly calling in) for them to tell me I wouldn't be receiving any scholarship whatsoever...after I had deposited.
2) I have heard on TLS that Iowa has been awarding FULL scholarships to people they are taking off the wait list despite being told that once money was "returned to the pot" they would be issuing scholly's to those nominated for partial ones.
3) I emailed and called them multiple times about my financial aid status only to hear nothing from them for over a week despite being told that they would get back to me asap
4) They are giving out full scholarships, FULL rides, to people with only slightly better (or sometimes not better at all) numbers than many people nominated for partial scholly's who in the end received nothing despite being told they were probably going to get something (fully within Iowa's rights...but something that definitely doesn't rub any of the 70+ partial scholly nominees the right way)

This is me whining and ranting but I do feel it's very stupid the way they handled all of this. They don't OWE me anything, and they have every right to conduct their admissions process however they want, but as a customer (a term one poster used to describe our relationship with the admissions offices after our application fee and before our tuition payment) I feel like it's very unfair and stupid business practices.

Why tell someone they are nominated for scholarship they aren't sure they can give out? What purpose does this serve except potentially pissing an admitted student off if they don't end up getting anything? Are we supposed to feel sympathy for them that they ran out of money before they got around to giving us any? Is Iowa surprised they ran out of money when they're giving away FULL scholly's to people (according to LSN, some of the more surprising examples):

thepcv N 163 3.08 $117,906 Accepted A
MoSeph 164 3.72 $117,906 Accepted A
traehekat 164 3.59 $123,966 Accepted A
ronakkk 164 3.97 $117,906 Accepted
mattbradshaw 165 3.8 $118,000 Accepted

My numbers: 163, 3.64.

So, in the end I can do two things: 1) not attend (doing that) 2) tell them how I feel (considering doing this)

How would you all feel if this happened to you? (I'm prepared for all those tough folks out there who accuse me of pointlessly whining! I'd like to see how you'd feel about this if it happened to you)

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am

You wrote a letter efficiently. You thought twice before sending it. Unless you're going to let us read it, there's no point to this thread. I think you're fine. Relax. Giving feedback is fine and if I was a Dean of Admissions, I'd want the feedback as long as it wasn't just a lot of emotional venting, which would make me Dean Sadface.

edit: Did not see your latest post above. Yes, I would definitely send feedback in that case. The only question is, would you attend if they offered you a full ride right now? In that case, you might want to phrase things a certain way.
Last edited by creamedcats on Tue May 25, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 am

creamedcats wrote:You wrote a letter efficiently. You thought twice before sending it. Unless you're going to let us read it, there's no point to this thread. I think you're fine. Relax. Giving feedback is fine and if I was a Dean of Admissions, I'd want the feedback as long as it wasn't just a lot of emotional venting, which would make me Dean Sadface.
Thanks, but I don't need help editing my letter. I wrote what the problems were above, so check it out, and I'd be interested to see what you think...but I wouldn't and see no point in broadcasting my letter to someone specific on an open forum like this.

Edit: Responded before your edit!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 am

Regionality wrote:
creamedcats wrote:You wrote a letter efficiently. You thought twice before sending it. Unless you're going to let us read it, there's no point to this thread. I think you're fine. Relax. Giving feedback is fine and if I was a Dean of Admissions, I'd want the feedback as long as it wasn't just a lot of emotional venting, which would make me Dean Sadface.
Thanks, but I don't need help editing my letter. I wrote what the problems were above, so check it out, and I'd be interested to see what you think...but I wouldn't and see no point in broadcasting my letter to someone specific on an open forum like this.

Edit: Responded before your edit!
My Internet is slow :cry:

I would be just as unhappy. Admissions is a bit of a black box and there's not much we are entitled to know. But to string you along like that - that's not good, and you are certainly entitled to tell them you did not appreciate having to wait around and drop deposits at several places (if applicable) because they didn't know what they wanted in their entering class. I'm not sure I'd use LSN data, though - you never know how accurate it is.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 am

Based on your posts in this thread, my opinion is that you should not send in any complaints or suggestions now. Wait several months to a year before reconsidering.
Your best option currently is to post your concerns on this website--TLS--naming the school & detailing your suggestions.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 am

I was going to say to send the letter, but after reading your post above detailing your issues...I'm going to have to say no. Quite frankly, you're using information that may or may not be true as your complaint. I've known people to lie on TLS and LSN about their numbers, $$$ and even acceptances. What if these peopel are lying? Also, their is more to admissions then just numbers. Perhaps, these people had more to bring to the university than you did. Maybe they had significant work experience, they brought more diversity to the campus and/or they just needed the scholarship more than you. I would just let it go. Frankly, you sound pretty whiny and petulant in this thread. I find it hard to believe you wont sound the same in the letter you send.

Just my .02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 am

trialjunky wrote:I was going to say to send the letter, but after reading your post above detailing your issues...I'm going to have to say no. Quite frankly, you're using information that may or may not be true as your complaint. I've known people to lie on TLS and LSN about their numbers, $$$ and even acceptances. What if these peopel are lying? Also, their is more to admissions then just numbers. Perhaps, these people had more to bring to the university than you did. Maybe they had significant work experience, they brought more diversity to the campus and/or they just needed the scholarship more than you. I would just let it go. Frankly, you sound pretty whiny and petulant in this thread. I find it hard to believe you wont sound the same in the letter you send.

Just my .02
+1

It's one thing to feel they haven't been up front with you. It's quite another to start analyzing and criticizing their admissions decisions, even if you had 100% accurate data. Telling anyone how to do their job generally comes off as incredibly arrogant.

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Regionality wrote:
Sias wrote:

So I am withdrawing from a school today and in the end I have felt they have handled their admissions process with me pretty terribly. Is there a risk in sending them a withdrawal email and giving them a polite piece of my mind in the withdrawal? I feel like I have nothing to lose with regards to this specific school, and the only risk might be if they told other schools.

What happened during the admissions process that you felt was poorly handled? I personally find it difficult to give advice without knowing, as some people tend to be less reasonable than others.
A few things.
1) I was told I was nominated for a scholarship and that I would receive info about it shortly...it took them two months (with me regularly calling in) for them to tell me I wouldn't be receiving any scholarship whatsoever...after I had deposited.
2) I have heard on TLS that Iowa has been awarding FULL scholarships to people they are taking off the wait list despite being told that once money was "returned to the pot" they would be issuing scholly's to those nominated for partial ones.
3) I emailed and called them multiple times about my financial aid status only to hear nothing from them for over a week despite being told that they would get back to me asap
4) They are giving out full scholarships, FULL rides, to people with only slightly better (or sometimes not better at all) numbers than many people nominated for partial scholly's who in the end received nothing despite being told they were probably going to get something (fully within Iowa's rights...but something that definitely doesn't rub any of the 70+ partial scholly nominees the right way)

This is me whining and ranting but I do feel it's very stupid the way they handled all of this. They don't OWE me anything, and they have every right to conduct their admissions process however they want, but as a customer (a term one poster used to describe our relationship with the admissions offices after our application fee and before our tuition payment) I feel like it's very unfair and stupid business practices.

Why tell someone they are nominated for scholarship they aren't sure they can give out? What purpose does this serve except potentially pissing an admitted student off if they don't end up getting anything? Are we supposed to feel sympathy for them that they ran out of money before they got around to giving us any? Is Iowa surprised they ran out of money when they're giving away FULL scholly's to people (according to LSN, some of the more surprising examples):

So, in the end I can do two things: 1) not attend (doing that) 2) tell them how I feel (considering doing this)

How would you all feel if this happened to you? (I'm prepared for all those tough folks out there who accuse me of pointlessly whining! I'd like to see how you'd feel about this if it happened to you)
You said: "Why tell someone they are nominated for scholarship they aren't sure they can give out?"

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "nominate"? You have no legitimate complaint here: Iowa said you were being considered for a scholarship, not that you were guaranteed one. Buy a dictionary and use it, or don't go to law school.

Furthermore, I would do some serious soul searching if you think it prudent to send someone a letter complaining about how you "didn't get yours" when they were in no way obligated to give you anything at all. (Although, in your defense, I suppose it's necessary to know the definition of nominate to know that you weren't guaranteed a scholarship. But the recipient, along with anyone above the 8th grade, will know.)

And you expect to make a compelling argument by using self-reported LSN data to demonstrate how you too should have been awarded a scholarship? Are you kidding me?

This reeks of self-entitlement. But go ahead and write the letter. I'll enjoy it when it goes viral.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue May 25, 2010 12:15 pm

I came into this thread to see if you were writing about Fordham. Has that been any one else's experience with them?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Sias wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Sias wrote:

A few things.

You said: "Why tell someone they are nominated for scholarship they aren't sure they can give out?"

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "nominate"? You have no legitimate complaint here: Iowa said you were being considered for a scholarship, not that you were guaranteed one. Buy a dictionary and use it, or don't go to law school.

Furthermore, I would do some serious soul searching if you think it prudent to send someone a letter complaining about how you "didn't get yours" when they were in no way obligated to give you anything at all. (Although, in your defense, I suppose it's necessary to know the definition of nominate to know that you weren't guaranteed a scholarship. But the recipient, along with anyone above the 8th grade, will know.)

And you expect to make a compelling argument by using self-reported LSN data to demonstrate how you too should have been awarded a scholarship? Are you kidding me?

This reeks of self-entitlement. But go ahead and write the letter. I'll enjoy it when it goes viral.
You're an ass and you're wrong. I know I don't feel self-entitled and I don't need to prove it to you, but I'll respond to some of your bonehead comments anyway.

Nominations are used for two reasons: 1) To suggest someone may or may not get something. 2) To suggest the someone will probably get something, but the exact nature of it is unknown. This, to me, seems the only logical reason to nominate someone for a scholarship in THIS situation, considering I didn't specifically apply for anything and there was no public decision process going into the decision. What was the logical benefit in telling a prospective student they were nominated for a scholly they ended up giving nothing out on?

Yes, using LSN and TLS data isn't the most accurate way to do things, and in my letter I have drafted, I have said that all my information gathered has been from peers both in real life and on blog forums, and admitted that it is difficult to get great information on the process due to its private approach and secretive nature. I requested that if my data are inaccurate and my conclusions are drawn from non-present trends, that I apologize and request to be corrected. With that being said, it would be a mighty conspiracy to have all these people lying along the same trends.

You have some mighty fighting words to someone you don't know, and your disgusting, insulting condescension is pathetic, and I imagine if you speak to people in your real life this way that people have a tough time spending time with you....looking at the history of your posts on TLS, this seems to be a pattern for you. Be nicer to the world cause you come off as a jerk...

Edit: PS. A letter snail-mailed wouldn't go viral. (unless he scanned it, loaded it, and emailed it off to his buddies)
Last edited by Regionality on Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Regionality wrote: PS. A letter snail-mailed can't go viral.
It's called a scanner...most offices have them.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 pm

You all think that Dean Collins Byrd of Iowa Law would scan a mailed letter just to send it to his buddies? Of course it's technologically possible...but not likely at all.

Edit: Fixed original post.

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 pm

OP: I might come off as a jerk, but I'd rather be the jerk who's right and everyone agrees with than a self-entitled tool who's willing to risk his/her legal reputation on a bratty complaint.

Honestly you should be thanking me. If my being an ass causes you even a moment's pause before sending that letter, I've done you a huge service. That's the truth, even if it isn't what you want to hear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue May 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Regionality wrote:You all think that Dean Collins Byrd of Iowa Law would scan a mailed letter just to send it to his buddies? Of course it's technologically possible...but not likely at all.

one of my buddies scanned his ass and plastered it all over our high school in the late 1990's; this probably took MUCH more effort, given the advancements in technology over the last decade, than it would if LS Dean X sent a "Hey, check out this shit..." email to LS Dean Y in regards to your letter.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Sias wrote:OP: I might come off as a jerk, but I'd rather be the jerk who's right and everyone agrees with than a self-entitled tool who's willing to risk his/her legal reputation on a bratty complaint.

Honestly you should be thanking me. If my being an ass causes you even a moment's pause before sending that letter, I've done you a huge service. That's the truth, even if it isn't what you want to hear.

So now you're so pompously sure of yourself that everyone agrees with you...man, them's fightin' words!

As soon as you started off writing in the tone that you did, I immediately discounted any advice you had on the basis that you probably have very poor social skills and any advice you had on human interactions should be ignored.

Do you speak to people in real life this way?
Last edited by Regionality on Tue May 25, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Regionality wrote:You all think that Dean Collins Byrd of Iowa Law would scan a mailed letter just to send it to his buddies? Of course it's technologically possible...but not likely at all.

one of my buddies scanned his ass and plastered it all over our high school in the late 1990's; this probably took MUCH more effort, given the advancements in technology over the last decade, than it would if LS Dean X sent a "Hey, check out this shit..." email to LS Dean Y in regards to your letter.
haha fair enough. I still don't think it's likely. And besides, I'd write the letter in a way I was proud of and I wouldn't be ashamed if other people saw it...that's why I started this thread.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 pm

trialjunky wrote:

I can already see in my head the Above the Law article that would be written about this. Please, write the letter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I can already see in my head the Above the Law article that would be written about this. Please, write the letter.
What if I sent it on this paper:

http://www.protectedpaper.com/?Click=7

Would he bring in his secretary to manually retype it?
:-D

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue May 25, 2010 1:59 pm

he would probably have one of us bottom-dwelling TTT students re-type it to build our resume for our doc-review internship

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:09 pm

Sias wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Sias wrote:

A few things.

OP doesn't understand that medians make a HUGE difference when it comes to awards. Seriously. He's comparing himself to:

1) URM
2)Higher LSAT; comparable GPA
3,4) Higher LSAT AND GPA

Seriously, even if these numbers are accurate, you're still acting self-centered and entitled.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 2:12 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Sias wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Sias wrote:
A few things.

OP doesn't understand that medians make a HUGE difference when it comes to awards. Seriously. He's comparing himself to:

1) URM
2)Higher LSAT; comparable GPA
3,4) Higher LSAT AND GPA

Seriously, even if these numbers are accurate, you're still acting self-centered and entitled.
1) There are no URM's on that list
2) There are some with same LSAT/worse GPA
3) Yes, some are 1 point LSAT higher with worse GPA
4) Yes, some are slightly higher in both, but it still seems extreme to give them full scholly's

I don't feel I deserved it, I feel like it was dumb and seemingly unfair of them to do it this way. Would you not feel mistreated if you saw these data? I'm legitimately interested...you wouldn't feel upset? If not, why?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”