Any risk in telling a school you're unhappy with them? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Regionality

Silver

Any risk in telling a school you're unhappy with them?

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi all,

So I am withdrawing from a school today and in the end I have felt they have handled their admissions process with me pretty terribly. Is there a risk in sending them a withdrawal email and giving them a polite piece of my mind in the withdrawal? I feel like I have nothing to lose with regards to this specific school, and the only risk might be if they told other schools.

Should these adcoms be told when we're unhappy?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: Any risk in telling a school you're unhappy with them?

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Regionality wrote:Hi all,

So I am withdrawing from a school today and in the end I have felt they have handled their admissions process with me pretty terribly. Is there a risk in sending them a withdrawal email and giving them a polite piece of my mind in the withdrawal? I feel like I have nothing to lose with regards to this specific school, and the only risk might be if they told other schools.

If everything you say is factual, what are they going to do, take away your birthday? That being said, they probably couldn't give 2 shits what you think. Knock yourself out kid!!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sun May 23, 2010 8:23 pm

send a 2nd anonymous letter/email venting your frustration if you think it will make you feel better

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:25 pm

GATORTIM wrote:send a 2nd anonymous letter/email venting your frustration if you think it will make you feel better
I sign my name to things when they matter.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sun May 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Regionality wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:send a 2nd anonymous letter/email venting your frustration if you think it will make you feel better
then send them a signed letter/email venting your frustration if you think it will make you feel better

Tim.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Regionality wrote:
So you wouldn't want to sign your name in this case then, right?

VerdiShmerdi

New

Post by VerdiShmerdi » Sun May 23, 2010 8:43 pm

I did this to a T-14 this year. I expressed my displeasure and pointed out that peer institutions handled matters in a much classier way. I received an e-mail from the Dean of Admissions in response to my concerns, and I thought the whole thing was rather baller.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:46 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
Regionality wrote:
So you wouldn't want to sign your name in this case then, right?
Well, I would want to sign my name because it wouldn't be fair to tell them I had a bad experience with them but they have no idea who I am....how would they have any idea what situation I was referring to?

Does this matter a lot? No...but I wouldnt send an anonymous complaint to a law school admissions dept...

These places probably very rarely get letters of critique from those they accepted, though they may very well get them and not give a crap about them...but maybe someone would read it and treat someone differently next cycle.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 pm

VerdiShmerdi wrote:I did this to a T-14 this year. I expressed my displeasure and pointed out that peer institutions handled matters in a much classier way. I received an e-mail from the Dean of Admissions in response to my concerns, and I thought the whole thing was rather baller.
How did the Dean of Admissions respond?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 pm

VerdiShmerdi wrote:I did this to a T-14 this year. I expressed my displeasure and pointed out that peer institutions handled matters in a much classier way. I received an e-mail from the Dean of Admissions in response to my concerns, and I thought the whole thing was rather baller.
Nice...this would be an ideal result

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Sun May 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Some advice. Your legal reputation starts now. if you feel you were wronged as a customer, and can write a decent, professional letter with a critique and suggestions from your experience with other schools. then do it. By snail mail addressed to the Dean of Admissions personally. Write the letter, sit on it for a few days, let a 3rd part read it, then MAIL it.

Or you could e-mail it. The person reading it could A- forward it to the dean, B- think you're going after their job and delete it, C- Send to their friends at other law schools, D- forward it to ATL where they post "Pretentious OL tells law school to be nicer to them and how to run an admissions office."

Point is there is no harm in doing this if you can do it in a professional way. If you can't, then don't do it.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Last edited by webbylu87 on Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun May 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Davis?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm

yo! wrote:Davis?
hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

No, Iowa. But Davis is ridiculous too-- I got in there as well, but I didn't feel as "wronged" by them as I have from Iowa...Davis is just stupidly slow, according to my experience...though I understand plenty of other people's complaints about Davis...that EIP thread was abhorrent.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Bert wrote:
I was not aware of a Davis fiasco. What did Davis do?

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

GW?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

yes, you are correct my friend. How tempted are you?

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 pm

edit: double post...whoops!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun May 23, 2010 9:27 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Bert wrote:
Some people hadn't received their INITIAL decision until like a week or so ago. Supposedly they have a "wholistic" approach which causes the delay, but I think they're just understaffed and/or inefficient.
Last edited by Regionality on Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Regionality wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
Bert wrote:
Some people hadn't received their INITIAL decision until like a week or so ago. Supposedly they have a "wholistic" approach which causes the delay, but I think they're just understaffed.
Yikes. Sounds like UNC. UNC warns you that they take a while to get a decision but they actually say NOT to contact them regarding your application. You'll know as soon as a decision has been made. Just a weird process which ends up rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 pm

webbylu87 wrote: Yikes. Sounds like UNC. UNC warns you that they take a while to get a decision but they actually say NOT to contact them regarding your application. You'll know as soon as a decision has been made. Just a weird process which ends up rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.
Dont mean to hijack, but I need to vent.

At least UNC warned you. William and Mary also takes a long time, but they put this delay on the status check website, so that at least you don't feel as wronged by the delay because you legitimately knew about it. I certainly understand that things will take some time, especially if they are reviewing the entirety of somebody's application in relation to the remainder of the applicant pool. Davis was not (in my opinion) straight forward with people about how long things would take, and they took their time even when they started getting backed up. They stopped taking phone calls and they didn't respond to emails, more or less keeping everybody in the dark at the end of the cycle. An email or a note on the status check would have been a thoughtful touch, but they didn't do anything like that. Once your application was complete, your status check changed to "Evaluation in Progress" and it stayed liked that for ever. In my case, they had my application for seven months, and only rejected me last week.

End of rant/hijack.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sun May 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Matthies wrote:Some advice. Your legal reputation starts now. if you feel you were wronged as a customer, and can write a decent, professional letter with a critique and suggestions from your experience with other schools. then do it. By snail mail addressed to the Dean of Admissions personally. Write the letter, sit on it for a few days, let a 3rd part read it, then MAIL it.

Or you could e-mail it. The person reading it could A- forward it to the dean, B- think you're going after their job and delete it, C- Send to their friends at other law schools, D- forward it to ATL where they post "Pretentious OL tells law school to be nicer to them and how to run an admissions office."

Point is there is no harm in doing this if you can do it in a professional way. If you can't, then don't do it.
+1

I think you definitely should send such a letter, but be professional about it. Don't whine, just let them know how to improve.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

As long as it's truthful, honest AND polite, why not?

Earlier in the cycle, GW rejected me and then sent out an invitation to apply for admission.... for this very same cycle! The date on the letter indicated it was composed after the rejection and wasn't merely lost in the mail for a month. I sent them a fairly witty email noting the error and it was taken in goodwill.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:38 pm

What is the point? You are withdrawing anyway, so just let it go. You have nothing to gain out of it, and potentially something to lose if you piss them off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”