Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is ND at half tuition worth it?

Yes
42
81%
No
10
19%
 
Total votes: 52

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Within the next two weeks I will be putting down a second seat deposit like most of you. As much as I would like to retake the LSAT and break that 170 barrier I think attending one of the schools I have been accepted is the best option.

My question, is attending Notre Dame at half scholarship worth it?

I really like the University and I'm impressed by the law school. Although I would like to attend a higher ranked university that might offer me better job prospects, this is my best option. I think I can handle South Bend and the 11 months of winter there. In addition I am fully aware that I will have to be at least in the top 1/3 of my class for big law. So would it be worth it in the long run?

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby danidancer » Sat May 22, 2010 11:21 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Within the next two weeks I will be putting down a second seat deposit like most of you. As much as I would like to retake the LSAT and break that 170 barrier I think attending one of the schools I have been accepted is the best option.

My question, is attending Notre Dame at half scholarship worth it?

I really like the University and I'm impressed by the law school. Although I would like to attend a higher ranked university that might offer me better job prospects, this is my best option. I think I can handle South Bend and the 11 months of winter there. In addition I am fully aware that I will have to be at least in the top 1/3 of my class for big law. So would it be worth it in the long run?


It depends where you want to work, but yes. I ALMOST signed up for ND with a similar scholarship, but then Fordham came through with a scholarship and I want to work in NYC, so I ended up withdrawing. But ND has a bit of national reach, and usually does well in the midwest. I think it's still a sound decision, if you're 100% against retaking and waiting it out another year (as I was).

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sat May 22, 2010 11:33 pm

danidancer wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Within the next two weeks I will be putting down a second seat deposit like most of you. As much as I would like to retake the LSAT and break that 170 barrier I think attending one of the schools I have been accepted is the best option.

My question, is attending Notre Dame at half scholarship worth it?

I really like the University and I'm impressed by the law school. Although I would like to attend a higher ranked university that might offer me better job prospects, this is my best option. I think I can handle South Bend and the 11 months of winter there. In addition I am fully aware that I will have to be at least in the top 1/3 of my class for big law. So would it be worth it in the long run?


It depends where you want to work, but yes. I ALMOST signed up for ND with a similar scholarship, but then Fordham came through with a scholarship and I want to work in NYC, so I ended up withdrawing. But ND has a bit of national reach, and usually does well in the midwest. I think it's still a sound decision, if you're 100% against retaking and waiting it out another year (as I was).


I have decided retaking is not really an option. I have taken the test 3 times and my last score was the highest I had ever scored. I haven't looked at an LSAT in 6 months and the thought of devoting any more time to that test does not excite me. In addition retaking means finding a job for a year and some how working full time and studying while scoring higher than I did when I was not working. I honestly think I have a better chance of getting into the top 20%+ of my class and transferring than I do increasing my LSAT score by 3 points.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby legalease9 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:59 pm

ND at 1/2 is Totally worth it, especially since you like the school! You will get plenty of job opportunities (although maybe not big law) out of ND. Just remember that you will likely be midwest bound at graduation.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby A'nold » Sun May 23, 2010 12:36 am

I'm sorry and I know many will disagree with me on this, but this is kind of a stupid question. Notre Dame at half scholly? I mean, 95% of law students probably don't have better options than that.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun May 23, 2010 1:19 am

Thank you for your responses,

I didn't mean to come off arrogant, I feel really lucky to have this opportunity! It is just frustrating to be so close to an LSAT score (170) that can possibly get me into schools like- UCLA/Cornell/Georgetown/Northwestern.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 am

Also I would like to add that I never would have asked this question before joining TLS. Thank you people of TLS for completely warping my mind...

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby A'nold » Sun May 23, 2010 1:58 am

ENGINEERD wrote:Also I would like to add that I never would have asked this question before joining TLS. Thank you people of TLS for completely warping my mind...


That's basically what I meant by my post. The reality of TLS is not the reality of the real world. People on this site feel freaking bad and explain away the fact that they are going to be attending GULC or Cornell, lol.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 pm

bump...I would like to get a few more votes/thoughts on this

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23886
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:bump...I would like to get a few more votes/thoughts on this


Enjoy your 3 years in South Bend.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby miamiman » Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

so ~22k tuition + 15k (estimated) living expenses for the year = ~40k x 3 = 120k for a legal degree at ND?

That seems reasonable at face value; I have, however, read horror stories about ND's job placement capabilities this past year. Allegedly, many of the major Chicago firms pulled out of their OCI. So this 1/3rd biglaw assumption may be very generous.

What are your alternatives?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 pm

What are your other options?
Are you willing to share your three LSAT scores?
To answer your question as to whether or not attending law school at Notre Dame on a half tuition scholarship is "worth it", it certainly is compared to one attending law school at Notre Dame without any scholarship.

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby gobucks101 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:09 pm

True big law is down, but Notre Dame has a really great loan repayment program and a good name for government and public interest jobs. Something to keep in mind.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby Grizz » Sun May 23, 2010 4:16 pm

I won't make a decision until I hear your other option(s) and what kind of career you want.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What are your other options?
Are you willing to share your three LSAT scores?
To answer your question as to whether or not attending law school at Notre Dame on a half tuition scholarship is "worth it", it certainly is compared to one attending law school at Notre Dame without any scholarship.


Sure, I scored a 167. My other options are WUSTL at 10/yr and UCI. I have ruled out WUSTL and although UCI is more practical I don't want to go there. I have created other threads about my options so I was hoping this one would just focus on Notre Dame vs reapplying

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby Grizz » Sun May 23, 2010 4:27 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Sure, I scored a 167. My other options are WUSTL at 10/yr and UCI. I have ruled out WUSTL and although UCI is more practical I don't want to go there. I have created other threads about my options so I was hoping this one would just focus on Notre Dame vs reapplying


No 1/2 scholarship at UCI?

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun May 23, 2010 4:31 pm

rad law wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Sure, I scored a 167. My other options are WUSTL at 10/yr and UCI. I have ruled out WUSTL and although UCI is more practical I don't want to go there. I have created other threads about my options so I was hoping this one would just focus on Notre Dame vs reapplying


No 1/2 scholarship at UCI?


Every student this year received a 1/2 scholarship

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby ViP » Sun May 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Many people would kill to have a half-scholly at a strong school like Notre Dame. In that sense, of course it's "worth it" for most prospective law students.

But I recall from previous threads that you were pretty concerned with the prestige-factor. Given that you've proven to be a great LSAT-taker, you can absolutely improve your score a couple of points and get yourself into a school that's a real name-dropper (unlike Notre Dame, which is a very good school but hardly the renowned law program you're probably looking for).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby Grizz » Sun May 23, 2010 4:51 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
rad law wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Sure, I scored a 167. My other options are WUSTL at 10/yr and UCI. I have ruled out WUSTL and although UCI is more practical I don't want to go there. I have created other threads about my options so I was hoping this one would just focus on Notre Dame vs reapplying


No 1/2 scholarship at UCI?


Every student this year received a 1/2 scholarship


That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I'd agree ND is the place, and it's worth it, just don't count on biglaw.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is ND at 1/2 $$ worth it?

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 25, 2010 1:44 am

Probably between Wash U and ND. Depends on how strong each school's placement is.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests