USF Law PT vs Southwestern PT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawchampion

USF Law PT vs Southwestern PT

Postby lawchampion » Sat May 22, 2010 12:25 am

I would appreciate any input. I've been just accepted to Southwestern PT. Given I would like to practice in So Cal which one do you guys think is a better choice for me. They have both offered roughly the same amount of scholarship.

lawchampion

Re: USF Law PT vs Southwestern PT

Postby lawchampion » Sat May 22, 2010 12:49 am

:?:

lawchampion

Postby lawchampion » Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 pm

:evil:

longroad

Postby longroad » Sat May 22, 2010 12:37 pm

0L here who has been accepted to USF full time. Although I'm not the best source to answer this question, I would have to say you are much better off with Southwestern for SoCal. On the other hand, I feel like USF won't destroy your SoCal chances. It will just be much harder to get a SoCal job from USF than Southwestern.

Call the career services office at both schools to see where people worked after graduation. I bet those numbers will give you your answer.

Go to Southwestern.

(Note my edits. For some reason, I replaced Chapman with Southwestern in my mind)
Last edited by longroad on Sat May 22, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat May 22, 2010 12:50 pm

lawchampion wrote:I would appreciate any input. I've been just accepted to Southwestern PT. Given I would like to practice in So Cal which one do you guys think is a better choice for me. They have both offered roughly the same amount of scholarship.

If you want to practice in Southern California, it is in your best interest to be here for law school. Nobody down here is going to give you any credit for going to a school that is ranked # 98. This is a classic example of a situation where you should ignore rankings.

Edit: Have you been accepted to Chapman full time? If so, go there. If not, come to Southwestern. If you are intent on practicing in Los Angeles over Orange County, come to Southwestern.

lawchampion

Postby lawchampion » Sat May 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Although Southwestern has some prestige in So Cal, would you guys pay sticker for a 4tier school?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat May 22, 2010 1:42 pm

lawchampion wrote:Although Southwestern has some prestige in So Cal, would you guys pay sticker for a 4tier school?

depends on your career goals, level of debt, etc.

I don't think any school outside the T20 is worth 100k+ debt unless you are going into public interest and have LRAP at your school.

lawchampion

Postby lawchampion » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 pm

General Tso wrote:
lawchampion wrote:Although Southwestern has some prestige in So Cal, would you guys pay sticker for a 4tier school?

I don't think any school outside the T20 is worth 100k+ debt unless you are going into public interest and have LRAP at your school.

There are close to 150 schools so apparently not everyone ends up getting into T20

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat May 22, 2010 2:11 pm

lawchampion wrote:
General Tso wrote:

There are close to 150 schools so apparently not everyone ends up getting into T20

I agree. I attend what many people here would call a "TTT". I am looking at between 65-75k debt; otherwise I wouldn't be going to law school at all.

SW is a decent school in the right circumstances. If I were you I would retake the LSAT and try to get a scholarship to there or Chapman.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”