Chicago or Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tintin

Chicago or Berkeley

Postby tintin » Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi all, I can't seem to find much info comparing these schools. I just got the Berkeley wait list action email and I'm in the top 25%. I know they don't give you very much time to make a decision, so IF they call me, I'd like to not be in a panic about my decision at that point. I've already put down a deposit at Chicago. I realize it's a great school, I'm not in love with it though. I do think that national reach, academia, and prestige in general is stronger at chicago. Thoughts? stats i should consider if I need to make this choice?

factors:
-lifetime CA resident, probably want to stay on this coast (though not necessarily in CA)
-not interested in biglaw. possible career paths: gov, academia, PI
-love the bay area, have lots of friends there, love the gay scene
-while i've walked around the berkeley campus, i've never visited the law school to sit in on classes, meet profs, etc.

gochrisgo

Re: Chicago or Berkeley

Postby gochrisgo » Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat May 22, 2010 9:31 am

Wow. I left this overnight and still nothing. Tin, I'm convinced that, if you get in, you'll have one of the toughest decisions on these boards. Ordinarily I'd say Chicago without a doubt. However, that doesn't seem totally valid in your situation. All I can tell you is that I know someone who took Berkeley over Chicago (and most of the rest of the t14) and is confident that it's among the best decisions she's ever made.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Sat May 22, 2010 9:41 am

Berkeley will absolutely be the right decision for you. Go there if you get the opportunity.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sat May 22, 2010 2:07 pm

thanks for the links, I somehow didn't come across those when searching. yeah, i will be pretty torn at this point but still leaning towards berkeley. i wonder if i'd regret never leaving california though....or if the sinking uc system will impact berkeley moreso than it already has....

this is all hypothetical though at this point :lol:

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 am

between your other thread about where to go (a long time ago) and this one, I want to know what you decide!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 am

I'm biased, but I would say Berkeley if it works out. That said, you're in at Chicago, so party on either way. :D Coming back to Cali won't be a problem from there. Regardless, I'm still crossing my fingers for you!

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Thu May 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Regardless, I'm still crossing my fingers for you!

+1

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon May 31, 2010 12:55 pm

thanks guys :) now all i gotta do is get into berk.... :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”