HELP: W&L ($$$) v. Bama ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

W&L (almost full ride) v. Bama (full ride, books, stipend)

Washington and Lee
58%
Alabama
42%

Total votes: 38

CircleK

HELP: W&L ($$$) v. Bama ($$$$)

Postby CircleK » Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Washington & Lee: Almost full-ride. I'm a Virginia native with family in NOVA and all over NC, I enjoy the mountain setting of the school history as well. Lexington was awesome, as were the current LSers I met over ASW. Really like the honor code and the tight knit nature of the LS and alum. Impressed by Career Services and don't have problem with the new 3L program. Thought the student body was very diverse (both in backgrounds and in future plans) compared to Bama. Don't really like being so far from a decent city or the severely limited number of people (read: women).

Bama: Full Ride, + Books, + Stipend (very modest stipend). SEC Football, Southern girls, and probably half the debt when all is said and done. Close(r) to a major(ish) city (Birmingham), nice weather year round, plenty of people around. Enjoys statewide dominance instead of being one of 20 regional schools nearby (like W&L). Think it is a slightly lower caliber law school than W&L (W&L's been doing it well for a while -- falling from 20th, whereas Bama is the new kid on the block just now getting up to 30th/38th)

Not stuck on any one location (hate NE, prefer SE). I'm a toss up between the two and Bama has been MUCH more aggressive and personable in their recruiting. Lawyer friend said they are pretty comparable and if I'm truly undecided, to go with the considerably lower debt.

Need to decide ASAP for next deposit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

CircleK

Re: HELP: W&L ($$$) v. Bama ($$$$)

Postby CircleK » Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 am

Bump.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 am

It really depends on your preferred practice area. I live in Birmingham right now and love it and plan on returning after I graduate. If you want to practice in Alabama I think Bama would give you an edge. If you want Nashville or Atlanta it's probably more of a toss-up between the two.

tarheelz

Postby tarheelz » Fri May 21, 2010 9:36 am

Seconded - depends on practice area preference. In terms of fun... SEC football vs. stringent honor code? I'd go with Bama. Sounds like they really really want you too.

CircleK

Postby CircleK » Fri May 21, 2010 10:03 am

W&L voters, what are your thoughts?

general100

Postby general100 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am

I pulled the trigger for W&L, and I don't think it's even close.

I know that there's a lot of W&L hating that goes on here -- understandably, to some extent, given the dramatic fall in USNWR over the past 5-10 years -- but I think that most people who aren't rankings obsessed would tell you that W&L's better. Does anyone honestly believe that the drop from 20th to 35th is in any way related to the classroom experience? Or even poor employment outcomes? W&L Law's biggest problem wrt USNWR is that it hasn't made significant improvements in any of the reported data categories, while its chief competitors like Wm and Mary, BC, ND, etc., have made incremental gains over the past 10 years. The W&L education is still "top 20," and I would venture to say that the brand is still highly valued in the DC area.

If you want to work in Alabama, then by all means, go to Bama. You'd be crazy not to do so. But if you're looking to head to Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Maryland, or New York, I really think that you'd be better positioned at W&L.

The biggest problem facing W&L Law at the moment seems to be that its steep tuition makes it a "bad deal" compared to some of the other schools in the 20-35 range -- especially compared to Wm and Mary, which most people consider to be a true peer. Your scholarship makes that a moot point.

Good luck!

Full disclosure: I'm a W&L undergrad alum. That said, the undergrad and law divisions never co-mingle, and I have absolutely no allegiance to the law school whatsoever. Headed to the west coast for law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 am

thickfreakness wrote:It really depends on your preferred practice area. I live in Birmingham right now and love it and plan on returning after I graduate. If you want to practice in Alabama I think Bama would give you an edge. If you want Nashville or Atlanta it's probably more of a toss-up between the two.

+1

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 21, 2010 11:17 am

You have done well with an LSAT of 164. Curious as to your results from other law schools to which you applied.
I can't offer any insight as to the better choice of law school for you beyond what has already been written suggesting that you attend law school close to where you want to practice; if, however, that location is Atlanta, then it may be worth checking each school's placement with firms in that area.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You have done well with an LSAT of 164. Curious as to your results from other law schools to which you applied.
I can't offer any insight as to the better choice of law school for you beyond what has already been written suggesting that you attend law school close to where you want to practice; if, however, that location is Atlanta, then it may be worth checking each school's placement with firms in that area.

I don't really like either for Atlanta. W&L for VA, 'Bama for AL.
I would lean W&L for the OP because it seems like the person has far more resources in VA than in AL and the more people you know, the easier it will be to gain employment.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri May 21, 2010 9:02 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Image

Yessir!! It's kinda cool that my UG alma mater and my law school are the reigning national champions in football and men's basketball, respectively.

Edit: Let me add, OP, I think Bama is probably the better option here, if only for the fact that you're going to have much less market competition for Alabama's home markets.

--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat May 22, 2010 2:25 am

DerrickRose wrote:Image

There's bacon in this, isn't there.

CircleK

Postby CircleK » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Bump for inconclusive results. And my blatant desire for more strong opinions. And my current lack of decisiveness. And my need to decide on Bama season tickets by the end of the week.

primusux

Postby primusux » Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 am

CircleK wrote:Bump for inconclusive results. And my blatant desire for more strong opinions. And my current lack of decisiveness. And my need to decide on Bama season tickets by the end of the week.

That $20 is really killin ya? :shock:

CircleK

Postby CircleK » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am

Nah, but the next deposit due June 1st might! I assume you are Bama bound?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:48 am

Bama sounds like the one you would enjoy more.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Can you resell those golden tickets if you choose W&L?

primusux

Postby primusux » Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm

CircleK wrote:Nah, but the next deposit due June 1st might! I assume you are Bama bound?

You're talking about the W&L deposit right? You just freaked me out and I went through all of my Bama paperwork and still only see the one deposit from back in April. This is not a good start if I'm missing something lol :)

CircleK

Postby CircleK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Picked W&L. Thanks for votes, time, opinions, etc.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”