law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Princeton.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 5:40 pm

So, OP, just in case you can't pierce the cloud of snark (funny snark for sure), 'international law' is massively misunderstood. There really only is international business law (companies doing business across national borders- so taxes, trade agreements, etc..). The concept of the saving Rwandan orphans through moving rhetoric in the Hague is just not all that real. Some people do try cases in international courts, but those people are super-rare (Saddam Hussein did not support a whole legal field in his defense). So, ya, go to HYS, and make some big-time contacts in the US or some foreign government. It's just as rare as being a Senator.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby gatorlion » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
byunbee wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:As for what schools, NYU and Columbia are ranked the highest for international law, but most people will tell you to go to the best (highest ranked) school you can for this type of law


It's a much smaller field than most people realize, so high grades and a JD from a high prestige law school would probably be a necessity. I've heard it said on TLS before (so take this with a grain of salt) that it's almost not worth pursuing outside of t4 or t6.


I agree -- t6, though.. because I think NYU def will still provide opportunities


Not entirely true- there are people working on international environmental law in government and IGOs from American, Vermont, Tulane.

EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby downstream » Thu May 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:56 pm

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.


LOL.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Yale..

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Hey-O » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

gatorlion wrote:
EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...


This is very true. There are lots of lawyers out there who are dealing with international issues. There are very few 'international courts', but there is a growing field of 'international law.' The more governments and business interact fluidly across state lines the more need there is for laws that guide those interactions. There is a lot of need for lawyers with a knowledge of international law in the political arena as well in helping to understand the increasingly complex legal ramifications of legislation.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 pm

JCougar wrote:Princeton.


+ Image

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

American.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 pm

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.


You are hilariously misinformed.

You will have miserable time finding any job out of Stetson, much less one in "international law."

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 6:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:American.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Cara
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Cara » Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 pm

You can study international law at all sorts of places. But if you actually want to practice it then you should go to Yale, worst case H or S.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Cara wrote:You can study international law at all sorts of places. But if you actually want to practice it then you should go to Yale, worst case H or S.


+1

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Hey-O wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...


This is very true. There are lots of lawyers out there who are dealing with international issues. There are very few 'international courts', but there is a growing field of 'international law.' The more governments and business interact fluidly across state lines the more need there is for laws that guide those interactions. There is a lot of need for lawyers with a knowledge of international law in the political arena as well in helping to understand the increasingly complex legal ramifications of legislation.

You are right. There is a great deal of work for people who can deal with laws written in non-English languages, specifically in business. There just isn't paying work for people who want to battle for the legal rights of citizens in country X. Sure, volunteer all you like, but that kind of stuff just doesn't put actual food on the literal table.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...


This is very true. There are lots of lawyers out there who are dealing with international issues. There are very few 'international courts', but there is a growing field of 'international law.' The more governments and business interact fluidly across state lines the more need there is for laws that guide those interactions. There is a lot of need for lawyers with a knowledge of international law in the political arena as well in helping to understand the increasingly complex legal ramifications of legislation.

You are right. There is a great deal of work for people who can deal with laws written in non-English languages, specifically in business. There just isn't paying work for people who want to battle for the legal rights of citizens in country X. Sure, volunteer all you like, but that kind of stuff just doesn't put actual food on the literal table.


Image

This man certainly did not work in international law...

Case2L
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Case2L » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 pm

For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Case2L wrote:For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.


Not very funny

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Case2L wrote:For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.


There is law out there that is international in scope...it's just rare, tough to get into and often times it is more business-oriented than politically oriented, more than most people think/hope.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby gatorlion » Thu May 20, 2010 11:57 pm

Case2L wrote:For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.


See my above post for a brief analysis of why you are horribly wrong.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 am

BigA wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Columbia


lol I love how you edited to keep it in order..

Lol I couldn't remember the rankings after YHS.


:shock: That's shocking. I've inadvertently memorized the top 19 at least just by browsing these forums regularly. I haven't even applied to law school yet.

okay, and I've probably looked at the actual list a few times.


Disgraceful anti-GWU trolling.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby General Tso » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.


Yes you do recall correctly! Stetson does in fact have a top program for this.

OP, go to Stetson. You'll be fine.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby merichard87 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am

OP: Aim high and pray for a miracle. Good luck with the North Korean orphans or whatever.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby Regionality » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 am

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.


I had to google Saipan...that place has like 20 people on an island in the middle of the ocean...how on earth could they afford my future legal fees?

Oh, and I KNOW Togo and Lesotho couldn't pay me more than .20/hr...so not sure how that demand is gonna help anyone.

hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Postby hadokenstyle » Fri May 21, 2010 1:25 am

So after working in The Hague for the past 3 months and meeting attorney after attorney at the ICTY, I can tell you that based on personal observation at a UN Tribunal, 90% of this thread is BS.

(now note that I'm referring to OP's interest in Tribunals, not other forms of international law such as trade, NGO work, etc.)

The highest-ranked school I ran into was U. Penn on a public interest scholarship. I saw Georgetown on there, and then a buttload of T1 and T2 schools. The Georgetown graduate had clerked for the Penn SC and landed work at the ICTR before going to the ICTY. Of course, if you are planning to be a judge, Theodor Meron, the lofty member of NYU's faculty, represents the US there, although I don't think you'd be considering that right now :).

The actual attorneys were generally much older and were drawn from regional markets. There were actually many senior prosecution attorneys that came from Houston. And, of course, many barristers from the UK. Most of the judges actually aren't judges but academics and diplomats, which is a little scary when you think of it.

The rankings aren't as important across the Atlantic. I suppose if you go to Harvard or so it won't hurt, but from what I saw, experience is what I saw to be the deciding factor. And those jobs are not as interesting as they seem. The courts tend to bend over backwards for the accused, which can be frustrating.

If you have more questions, PM me...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carasrook, onceuopna1l and 9 guests