Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 pm

And that firm is probably a mistake, considering it is in Irvine, CA

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 pm

trialjunky wrote:'m a long-time Floridian and I have some serious doubts. I think Barry is tied for "worst school in the state filled with terrible schools" with St. Thomas and Coastal. Let's not trade unsubstantiated opinions though. Let's consult the NALP directory. --LinkRemoved--

Searching for employers recruiting at Barry yields a total of four, three of which are government offices, leaving a net of 1 firm.

A search for Cooley, the recipient of merciless castigation on TLS, yields 11.

UF, which is half the price and like 2 hours up the road, has over 100. The school is a ripoff.

More like an hour and fifteen to a hour and a half (personal experience). I can see maybe two hours during the school break period. The rest is credited, though.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 am

NoleinNY wrote:
More like an hour and fifteen to a hour and a half (personal experience). I can see maybe two hours during the school break period. The rest is credited, though.

Wow, you must really be speeding to get up there that fast. The fastest way (in fact, the only fast way) to get up there is the FL turnpike to 75, and that takes a good two hours! :D

sig1

Postby sig1 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:32 am

Look. The name of the school matters to a degree but it is as simple as this. Out interview them. I could have went to so called better schools but Barry gave me the most money so it was a done deal. I was up against three UF grads, one FSU grad, and one Duke grad. I won the position with the company and I still have a year to go. The officer of the company, a Harvard grad, told me that what he was looking for was the best candidate that could have the strongest impact on the company, and he didnt give a damn where I went to school. So take that for what it was worth. I will start at a fortune 500 company in one year making just shy of six figures right out of the gate.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 26, 2010 8:39 am

I'm having a hard time believing this...

[strike]
sig1 wrote:Look. The name of the school matters to a degree but it is as simple as this. Out interview them. I could have went to so called better schools but Barry gave me the most money so it was a done deal. I was up against three UF grads, one FSU grad, and one Duke grad. I won the position with the company and I still have a year to go. The officer of the company, a Harvard grad, told me that what he was looking for was the best candidate that could have the strongest impact on the company, and he didnt give a damn where I went to school. So take that for what it was worth. I will start at a fortune 500 company in one year making just shy of six figures right out of the gate.
[/strike]

maybe...

--ImageRemoved--

sig1

Postby sig1 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am

Look. You can think what you want. It really does not effect me. Im just trying to help those who are going to a school like Barry and wandering. Like anything else in life it is what you make of it. Believe me or don't but I am just a small number of a great many who went to those schools and am doing far better than average.Much Better than all these haters who have nothing better to do than put crazy pics with face painted girls up and bash schools that they really know nothing about. I wonder how many of you have a job lined up or are even in school. Stop posting on sites and get up and get s*** done.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 am

Reading through this thread has made me think about UF. What are the ups and downs of their program?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am

sig1 wrote: Stop posting on sites and get up and get s*** done.

Saids the one posting...

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 am

sig1 wrote:Look. You can think what you want. It really does not effect me. Im just trying to help those who are going to a school like Barry and wandering. Like anything else in life it is what you make of it. Believe me or don't but I am just a small number of a great many who went to those schools and am doing far better than average.Much Better than all these haters who have nothing better to do than put crazy pics with face painted girls up and bash schools that they really know nothing about. I wonder how many of you have a job lined up or are even in school. Stop posting on sites and get up and get s*** done.

for clarification, what does the median barry student get?

Royal

Postby Royal » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

The problem, Sig, is that you've got an unrepresentative sample. It's great that you landed a good job, and you should be happy. Yes, it's possible for a law grad from any school to get a good job, but you can't argue the actual facts here: your chances of getting a 'good' firm job is much lower at Barry than at probably 90% of other schools.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am

Barry who?? I say go to Barry. this is just new age natural selection.

sig1

Postby sig1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 am

You’re right Royal. I am happy. I am just fiercely loyal in anything I do. Especially for the school that I credit giving me the tools to obtain that position. I especially do not appreciate being called a liar by some crazy painted girl pic Internet guy who lives to play dungeons and dragons and bash things they know nothing about. I wish I had that time but unfortunately the rest of us have school, work, girlfriends, and life to live. More power to you though trialjunky. Someone has got to be that person. All time great movie by the way Royal.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:Reading through this thread has made me think about UF. What are the ups and downs of their program?

Ups - best school in FL and most mobility in FL. Tippity top of the class can leave FL if they want to, probably. Tuition is less thank $15k for residents. Also, offers an incredibly prestigious tax LLM.

Downs - very tough for people around medians (being in so little debt evens this out). Also, depends whether you love/hate Gainesville. Finally, FL has I think 11 law schools now, so the market is more glutted than most.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed May 26, 2010 10:15 am

rad law wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Reading through this thread has made me think about UF. What are the ups and downs of their program?

Ups - best school in FL and most mobility in FL. Tippity top of the class can leave FL if they want to, probably. Tuition is less thank $15k for residents. Also, offers an incredibly prestigious tax LLM.

Downs - very tough for people around medians (being in so little debt evens this out). Also, depends whether you love/hate Gainesville. Finally, FL has I think 11 law schools now, so the market is more glutted than most.

what he says + the fact that Miami is a crappy second, some say third, third market which has become increasingly difficult to penetrate. BigLaw in miami is all about having insane connections

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed May 26, 2010 5:51 pm

sig1 wrote:Look. You can think what you want. It really does not effect me. Im just trying to help those who are going to a school like Barry and wandering. Like anything else in life it is what you make of it. Believe me or don't but I am just a small number of a great many who went to those schools and am doing far better than average.Much Better than all these haters who have nothing better to do than put crazy pics with face painted girls up and bash schools that they really know nothing about. I wonder how many of you have a job lined up or are even in school. Stop posting on sites and get up and get s*** done.

You don't need to justify your success here. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. At the same time, we must deal with probabilities--and I would rather have prospective students well-informed. Are you going to dispute otherwise?

Many students from lower-ranked FL schools acknowledge that the odds aren't great to land a "good" job, and they knew that going into it. But many don't, and it's good for people to tell them that.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed May 26, 2010 6:11 pm

sig1 wrote:You’re right Royal. I am happy. I am just fiercely loyal in anything I do. Especially for the school that I credit giving me the tools to obtain that position. I especially do not appreciate being called a liar by some crazy painted girl pic Internet guy who lives to play dungeons and dragons and bash things they know nothing about. I wish I had that time but unfortunately the rest of us have school, work, girlfriends, and life to live. More power to you though trialjunky. Someone has got to be that person. All time great movie by the way Royal.

Cut the ad hominem if you want anyone to take you seriously. HTH

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed May 26, 2010 6:28 pm

delBarco wrote:
sig1 wrote:You’re right Royal. I am happy. I am just fiercely loyal in anything I do. Especially for the school that I credit giving me the tools to obtain that position. I especially do not appreciate being called a liar by some crazy painted girl pic Internet guy who lives to play dungeons and dragons and bash things they know nothing about. I wish I had that time but unfortunately the rest of us have school, work, girlfriends, and life to live. More power to you though trialjunky. Someone has got to be that person. All time great movie by the way Royal.

I agree ad hominem attacks weaken sig1's case...but in their defense TrialJunky is generally pretty much an ass hole throughout TLS and launches senseless attacks him/herself, IMO.

Though calling him/her a "crazy painted girl pic internet guy" is hardly constructive or particularly coherent...

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 pm

sig1 wrote:. I know of a number of grads from this year that have jobs lined up already. I have one year left and have a job lined up with a fortune 500 company in South Florida.

--ImageRemoved--
FORTUNE 500 #180

Pro tip: the dollar sign doesn't count as a "figure."

Seriously, maybe Barry worked out for you but for most people a .22 slug to the back of the brainpan would be kinder.

I triple-dog-dare you to post the name of the Orlando firm that hires only from Barry. (Or just post a photo of one of their bus benches.)

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm

delBarco wrote:

Whoa...how the hell did I miss this??? God, you leave a thread for a couple of days and they throw you under the bus.

Sig, it's the internet --> calm down, it'll be okay! I love how you say you dont have the time to be an asshole on the internet while doing exactly that. :D The internet is serious business.

Regionality wrote: I agree ad hominem attacks weaken sig1's case...but in their defense TrialJunky is generally pretty much an ass hole throughout TLS and launches senseless attacks him/herself, IMO.

Though calling him/her a "crazy painted girl pic internet guy" is hardly constructive or particularly coherent...

RGY --> Just because I firmly disagree with you on a topic and called you out on it doesnt make me an "an ass hole throughout TLS," it just makes me an asshole to you. Besides I'm Ms. Asshole to you...get it right!

sig1

Postby sig1 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

154. FPL Group. Thanks Duralex. Didn’t like the ad homonym? I thought it got the point across. LOL. Sorry for calling you a guy TrialJunkey when your a chic. Oh no. Hear comes the "chic" isn’t a P.C. term speech. Why don’t more attorneys speak like regular people? None of us our attorneys yet, some never will be but here we are talking like we have all been doing it for years. Its like we think were better than people. Were not. The best piece of advise I ever got was from my lsat teachers husband who has been the dean of two law schools (tier 1 for you elitist) and has a very successful practice in Miami. He told me the worst mistake we make is to out think the room. Most of the time the room didn’t go to law school. If that makes sense?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm

That's ad hominem. Homonyms are two words with the same spelling (i.e. 'I stalk the deer,' and 'I cut the stalk.' )

None of us are attorneys , yet.

"Advise" (the noun) is properly spelt with a 'C' and "elitist" should be pluralized.

Keep on covering yourself (and Barry's LRW department) with glory.

The only "tools" Barry has given you are the petard on which to hoist yourself and the noose which you may then hang yourself from it with.
Last edited by Duralex on Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 27, 2010 5:27 pm

sig1 wrote: He told me the worst mistake we make is to out think the room. Most of the time the room didn’t go to law school. If that makes sense?

Know what? There are a lot of stupid attorneys out there, successful and otherwise. But the odds are better if you aren't a buffoon, like this guy is. Of course, odds are that there's more to this guy's view than "DON'T BE TOO SMART LOL" if he really has been a dean of a T1.

At this point, however, I'm feeling confident that you're flaming the thread, are a troll, or both.
Last edited by Duralex on Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

sig1 wrote:154. FPL Group. Thanks Duralex. Didn’t like the ad homonym? I thought it got the point across. LOL. Sorry for calling you a guy TrialJunkey when your a chic. Oh no. Hear comes the "chic" isn’t a P.C. term speech. Why don’t more attorneys speak like regular people? None of us our attorneys yet, some never will be but here we are talking like we have all been doing it for years. Its like we think were better than people. Were not. The best piece of advise I ever got was from my lsat teachers husband who has been the dean of two law schools (tier 1 for you elitist) and has a very successful practice in Miami. He told me the worst mistake we make is to out think the room. Most of the time the room didn’t go to law school. If that makes sense?

I'm fine with being called a chic :wink: ...I'm not sensitive

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm

sig1 wrote:154. FPL Group. Thanks Duralex. Didn’t like the ad homonym? I thought it got the point across. LOL. Sorry for calling you a guy TrialJunkey when your a chic. Oh no. Hear comes the "chic" isn’t a P.C. term speech. Why don’t more attorneys speak like regular people? None of us our attorneys yet, some never will be but here we are talking like we have all been doing it for years. Its like we think were better than people. Were not. The best piece of advise I ever got was from my lsat teachers husband who has been the dean of two law schools (tier 1 for you elitist) and has a very successful practice in Miami. He told me the worst mistake we make is to out think the room. Most of the time the room didn’t go to law school. If that makes sense?

http://www.nexteraenergy.com/ = a firm that recruits from Barry? For legal work?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

The only legal work they list is regulatory analysis (requiring 3 years experience, and sounds like a bucket of shit) and a senior attorney position (for work in Spain?! Somehow I don't think anyone here qualifies.)

Lets hope this poor sucker didn't get signed up for some nightmarish HR middle management cattle call leading to an up-or-out yearly performance evaluation and an "incentivized compensation package."

You don't need LS for that, a four year bachelors degree in "Business Communications" from a secondary state school would have done the trick.
Last edited by Duralex on Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”