Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A'nold

Re: Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

Postby A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Interesting side note: I have actually seen TLS's negativity work irl. I have a friend at my t3 who had a friend that wanted to go to Fl. Coastal. I showed my friend all of the Coastal threads on here and I guess he was able to convince his friend out of it and to take money at Widener, which, while still a t4, is not nearly as rancid as Coastal. Keep up the good work TLS. 8)

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I feel really strongly about these South Florida TTTs because they are especially tragic. Barry is a textbook example of this. A quick search and I can't find one Barry grad at any major Miami firms; self-selection and a comparatively smaller number of alums can account for some -- but definitely not all -- of this.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sat May 22, 2010 2:55 pm

A'nold wrote:Interesting side note: I have actually seen TLS's negativity work irl. I have a friend at my t3 who had a friend that wanted to go to Fl. Coastal. I showed my friend all of the Coastal threads on here and I guess he was able to convince his friend out of it and to take money at Widener, which, while still a t4, is not nearly as rancid as Coastal. Keep up the good work TLS. 8)

are you saying i should have taken barry's scholarship offer?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat May 22, 2010 2:57 pm

miamiman wrote:I feel really strongly about these South Florida TTTs because they are especially tragic. Barry is a textbook example of this. A quick search and I can't find one Barry grad at any major Miami firms; self-selection and a comparatively smaller number of alums can account for some -- but definitely not all -- of this.

Well Barry isn't a south florida school. It's a central florida school, with the degree mobility of about 600 yards in any direction.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 2:59 pm

delBarco wrote:
miamiman wrote:I feel really strongly about these South Florida TTTs because they are especially tragic. Barry is a textbook example of this. A quick search and I can't find one Barry grad at any major Miami firms; self-selection and a comparatively smaller number of alums can account for some -- but definitely not all -- of this.

Well Barry isn't a south florida school. It's a central florida school, with the degree mobility of about 600 yards in any direction.

Sorry, Barry U is in Miami Shores. The law school is in Orlando.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

delBarco wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.................................whoa whoa whoa WHOA! Hold up.....so you're saying there is a chance then?
:)

To miamiman: allright man, sorry about my prior remarks, they were at least as douchey as I was accusing you of being. I don't know, I really must have caught you on certain threads and those threads only. I'm not a judgmental person so that was uncharacteristic of me. Must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Anyway, apologies to you.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 3:06 pm

A'nold wrote:
delBarco wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.................................whoa whoa whoa WHOA! Hold up.....so you're saying there is a chance then?

To miamiman: allright man, sorry about my prior remarks, they were at least as douchey as I was accusing you of being. I don't know, I really must have caught you on certain threads and those threads only. I'm not a judgmental person so that was uncharacteristic of me. Must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Anyway, apologies to you.

No worries. I'll try my best to de-douche somewhat in the future. :lol:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat May 22, 2010 3:12 pm

BU sucks!

I also hear that Barry University is bad.

halfwaygone

Postby halfwaygone » Sat May 22, 2010 3:18 pm

A'nold wrote:
delBarco wrote:

Well, the 600 yards isn't really a chance. I know what's within 600 yards of Barry U, and it's about the work prospects you'd think: a gas station, a strip mall...

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat May 22, 2010 3:49 pm

A'nold wrote:I showed my friend all of the Coastal threads on here and I guess he was able to convince his friend out of it and to take money at Widener, which, while still a t4, is not nearly as rancid as Coastal.

With all due respect, I don't know if that's true. (I lived by both schools, FWIW.)

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat May 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Barry U is not a good choice for a vast majority of people. Firms/judges/etc. place heavy emphasis on prestige--and that include not only good grades, but the reputation of the school. Even assuming for the sake of discussion that the quality of education is good there, it's only been around for approximately a decade. That's too short for it to have a high reputation.

It's already hard enough for Florida-law-school students outside of UF/FSU/Miami to get jobs, such as FIU/Nova/etc, based on my discussions with these students. In my experience, people don't even talk about Barry in the same category. Of course, this is merely anecdotal evidence, so take it for what it's worth. Once you talk about schools outside UF/FSU/Miami (and Stetson for the Tampa area), your odds of "better" jobs falls greatly, anyhow.

okay734

Postby okay734 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks for all the input. Just wondering if the school had any reputation at all. Sounds like a TTTT to me.

sig1

Postby sig1 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:49 pm

I just could not take the Barry bashing any longer. Barry is a good school and is on the rise. The problem is that it’s new and for some reason or another the newer schools always get a bad rep. I know there are exceptions to every rule so please save that argument. I know of law firms in the Orlando area that will only accept Barry students. So take that for what it is worth. I know of a number of grads from this year that have jobs lined up already. I have one year left and have a job lined up with a fortune 500 company in South Florida. So obviously all is not lost. Most people care about your work ethic. Not the name of the school on your diploma.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 pm

sig1 wrote:I just could not take the Barry bashing any longer. Barry is a good school and is on the rise. The problem is that it’s new and for some reason or another the newer schools always get a bad rep. I know there are exceptions to every rule so please save that argument. I know of law firms in the Orlando area that will only accept Barry students. So take that for what it is worth. I know of a number of grads from this year that have jobs lined up already. I have one year left and have a job lined up with a fortune 500 company in South Florida. So obviously all is not lost. Most people care about your work ethic. Not the name of the school on your diploma.

I predict TLS shark-attacks...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 25, 2010 6:05 pm

sig1 wrote:[strike]Barry is a good school and is on the rise.[/strike]

No.

I know of a number of grads from this year that have jobs lined up already.

So? "Jobs" could mean anything.

I have one year left and have a job lined up with a fortune 500 company in South Florida. So obviously all is not lost.

Assuming you're not bullshitting or working as their receptionist, congrats on basically winning the lottery.

Most people care about your work ethic. Not the name of the school on your diploma.

To a degree, but getting into UF or a more prestigious school suggests work ethic implicitly. When basically no one knows what the hell Barry is, yes the name on your diploma matters.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue May 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I will say it again:

Employers do care about (1) your work ethic BUT (2) ONLY AFTER YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN A JOB.

Barry may be great in instilling (1) but it is pretty awful at achieving (2)

ALSO: give a *warm* TLS welcome to Barry's 4 OCI members:

[strike]Haynes and Boone, LLP - IRVINE, CA[/strike] clearly an error
Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. Miami FL
Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office Miami FL
[strike]U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corp Rosslyn VA[/strike] probably also an error
Last edited by miamiman on Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

miamiman wrote:I will say it again:

Employers do care about (1) your work ethic BUT (2) ONLY AFTER YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN A JOB.

Plus why would Barry be better at (1) than other law schools?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Regionality wrote:

Because there is no difference between 3.0/147 and a 3.9/171, the LSAT is flawed . . . blah blah blah

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 6:18 pm

delBarco wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Because there is no difference between 3.0/147 and a 3.9/171, the LSAT is flawed . . . blah blah blah

No, I mean why would Barry U Law be any better at instilling a better work ethic than any other law school? What is so special about it's professors and programs? I'm asking the Barry U Law student, or anyone else who might have a clue.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue May 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Its not. Of course it's not better at instilling work ethic. This is just the default rebuttal TTT students invoke whenever people say that prestige and institution matters.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 6:36 pm

miamiman wrote:Its not. Of course it's not better at instilling work ethic. This is just the default rebuttal TTT students invoke whenever people say that prestige and institution matters.

Yea, I mean this was my thought as well, but I wondered if the Barry U student had something unique to add.

Also, no reputation = bad reputation. If a law school is only 10 years old, unless it does something special like Irvine is doing, it's impossible for it to have a good reputation...there's just not enough track record of success, not enough of an alumni network and not enough successful alums to prove otherwise. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy too bc it won't attract strong students. Barry U chose a very bad time to start a law school

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 pm

sig1 wrote:I just could not take the Barry bashing any longer. Barry is a good school and is on the rise. The problem is that it’s new and for some reason or another the newer schools always get a bad rep. I know there are exceptions to every rule so please save that argument. I know of law firms in the Orlando area that will only accept Barry students. So take that for what it is worth. I know of a number of grads from this year that have jobs lined up already. I have one year left and have a job lined up with a fortune 500 company in South Florida. So obviously all is not lost. Most people care about your work ethic. Not the name of the school on your diploma.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Just to be clear, I did not intend to bash Barry. I'm merely repeating what I've heard and seen from many lawyers and clerks in two states--the name of your law school is one of the first and most important things firms and judges use to weed out candidates. Sure, some people may do well out of those schools, but you have to look at the probabilities. And the probabilities do not seem to be good, especially relative to the "big-name" Florida schools.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

[img =walmart]

lmao hiro! My favorite part of that is the part highlighted in purple. Really? I am not an elitist but even I can attest to how poorly Barry grads do in the market.

[strike]sig no one is saying Barry is a horrible school,[/strike]correction: I'm not saying Barry is a horrible school or that you cant become an awesome attorney from Barry. What I am saying is Barry just doesnt provide its graduates with many option outside of unemployment and shitlaw.

Royal

Postby Royal » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

sig1 wrote: I know of law firms in the Orlando area that will only accept Barry students. So take that for what it is worth.

:?

I'm a long-time Floridian and I have some serious doubts. I think Barry is tied for "worst school in the state filled with terrible schools" with St. Thomas and Coastal. Let's not trade unsubstantiated opinions though. Let's consult the NALP directory. --LinkRemoved--

Searching for employers recruiting at Barry yields a total of four, three of which are government offices, leaving a net of 1 firm.

A search for Cooley, the recipient of merciless castigation on TLS, yields 11.

UF, which is half the price and like 2 hours up the road, has over 100. The school is a ripoff.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”