Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
okay734

New

Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

Post by okay734 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Tell me what you think of this school.

fnm

New

Re: Any graduates or students from Barry U in Orlando? Any good?

Post by fnm » Wed May 19, 2010 2:11 pm

The university's name is Barry, and the law school's name is Dwayne. Barry and Dwayne sound pretty cool to me!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 am

Maybe rising sea levels will sink all of Florida's 23 garbage law schools. Score one for global warming.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 am

I can only speak to what my friends who are Barry grads told me, and none of it was good. My friends who've graduated from Barry haven't been doing well in the market. Unfortunately, their is just too much competition in the area where Barry(Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law, Barry University) places. Barry grads traditionally place in central Florida. However, they dont dominate the region.

If a Barry grads wants central Florida --> UF grads pretty much dominate the central Florida region, followed by FSU grads, FAMU due to the name of it being a historically black college comes next, followed by Barry.

If a Barry grads wants North Florida, it's UF-> FSU --> Florida Coastal (home court advantage) and then maybe Barry

If a Barry grads want South Florida, it's UF/UM --> FSU --> FIU --> Nova --> Maybe Barry

It doesn't leave a lot of good options and you also have to note that the T14 can and do come down to Florida for work which makes it pretty hard. I'm not an elitist, but I wouldnt recommend it.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri May 21, 2010 8:33 am

DO NOT GO TO BARRY

one of my closest friends wound up at Barry for 1L.
He insists getting out of there is easily one of the best decisions he ever made.
Forget the job market, it was the quality of the instruction that drove him to despair.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri May 21, 2010 8:46 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Maybe rising sea levels will sink all of Florida's 23 garbage law schools. Score one for global warming.
+1

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 am

My friends dad's name is barry. We were entertained for hours by the online store. I know nothing about the actual school. I was actually unaware it had a law school.

halfwaygone

New

Post by halfwaygone » Fri May 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Not a graduate, but Barry University is generally regarded as a joke in Orlando (and I can't imagine that they'd consider it better somewhere else). I have several friends who are lawyers in Orlando, as it's where I'm from. Barry University was still awaiting its accreditation when I lived there (2 years ago, been abroad for awhile) so things could have changed, but I don't think so. I've always heard it would be nearly impossible to get hired with a law degree from BU.

While none of the Florida Universities are nationally-renowned, Barry University is rather close to UF (usually ranks around #50 consistently, sometimes lower sometimes higher), which has a great alumni system in Orlando. Even grads from slightly higher ranked schools from farther away in the South have told me that they had issues with UF grads being preferred. Factor in the other schools and the job market just isn't large enough for BU to have any foothold.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:22 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 pm

halfwaygone wrote:Not a graduate, but Barry University is generally regarded as a joke in Orlando (and I can't imagine that they'd consider it better somewhere else). I have several friends who are lawyers in Orlando, as it's where I'm from. Barry University was still awaiting its accreditation when I lived there (2 years ago, been abroad for awhile) so things could have changed, but I don't think so. I've always heard it would be nearly impossible to get hired with a law degree from BU.

While none of the Florida Universities are nationally-renowned, Barry University is rather close to UF (usually ranks around #50 consistently, sometimes lower sometimes higher), which has a great alumni system in Orlando. Even grads from slightly higher ranked schools from farther away in the South have told me that they had issues with UF grads being preferred. Factor in the other schools and the job market just isn't large enough for BU to have any foothold.
Are you sure you're reading your statistics right? Barry University is NOWHERE near UF. Not even close. In fact, if there were such thing as Tier 5...that's where Barry would be. Currently, UF is ranked at the very bottom of Tier 1/upper T2 and Barry is currently Tier 4 with no sign of moving.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm

as stars burn wrote:
halfwaygone wrote:Not a graduate, but Barry University is generally regarded as a joke in Orlando (and I can't imagine that they'd consider it better somewhere else). I have several friends who are lawyers in Orlando, as it's where I'm from. Barry University was still awaiting its accreditation when I lived there (2 years ago, been abroad for awhile) so things could have changed, but I don't think so. I've always heard it would be nearly impossible to get hired with a law degree from BU.

Are you sure you're reading your statistics right? Barry University is NOWHERE near UF. Not even close. In fact, if there were such thing as Tier 5...that's where Barry would be. Currently, UF is ranked at the very bottom of Tier 1/upper T2 and Barry is currently Tier 4 with no sign of moving.
I think he meant geographically close to UF (and that it would therefore be crushed by UF grads in the job market).

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 pm

doomed123 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

I think he meant geographically close to UF (and that it would therefore be crushed by UF grads in the job market).
Okay. Phew. I was scared that he was so far off on stats. Thanks for clarifying. But alas, Barry gets crushed no matter what.
Last edited by as stars burn on Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 21, 2010 7:41 pm

trialjunky wrote: If a Barry grads wants central Florida --> UF grads pretty much dominate the central Florida region, followed by FSU grads, FAMU due to the name of it being a historically black college comes next, followed by Barry.

If a Barry grads wants North Florida, it's UF-> FSU --> Florida Coastal (home court advantage) and then maybe Barry

If a Barry grads want South Florida, it's UF/UM --> FSU --> FIU --> Nova --> Maybe Barry
FAMU? HAHAHAHAHA

FAMU gets no respect, and it doesn't deserve any. It's been rocked by scandal since day 1, and is a gigantic joke.

Barry, Nova, Coastal, St. Thomas, and Ave Maria are rancid, festering TTTs and are not worth mentioning if you want any chance of securing anything resembling a successful legal career in FL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

halfwaygone

New

Post by halfwaygone » Sat May 22, 2010 10:51 am

doomed123 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

I did mean geographically. Sorry, I cut out a parenthetical statement, which messed with the syntax. The parenthetical statement being: "(often considered within commuting distance, but that's just because Florida has a messed up idea of what "commuting distance" is)." Since nobody really practices much law in Gainesville, Orlando is the closest market. Then, the other parenthetical statement about rankings makes it seem like I was saying they are closely ranked. They are not; Barry is a joke to most of CF, as I said.

And FWIW I'm a she.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 11:07 am

Let me share a story with you all. It happened....yesterday. last night, I had beers with a bunch of freshly minted c/o 2010 nova grads, a few of whom are childhood friends. Nice guys, not dumb (but not smart), and all are very, very jobless.

In SoFla, nova garners infinitely more respect than Barry.

This should be /thread

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 2:01 pm

miamiman wrote:Let me share a story with you all. It happened....yesterday. last night, I had beers with a bunch of freshly minted c/o 2010 nova grads, a few of whom are childhood friends. Nice guys, not dumb (but not smart), and all are very, very jobless.

This should be /thread
You have to be the douchiest poster on here. "not dumb but not smart." Lulz, like you are the czar of the universe at to who's "smart" and who's not. Everytime I see your retarded avatar it makes me want to jab a pen through my eye.

Mal

New

Post by Mal » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm

A'nold wrote:
miamiman wrote:Let me share a story with you all. It happened....yesterday. last night, I had beers with a bunch of freshly minted c/o 2010 nova grads, a few of whom are childhood friends. Nice guys, not dumb (but not smart), and all are very, very jobless.

This should be /thread
You have to be the douchiest poster on here. "not dumb but not smart." Lulz, like you are the czar of the universe at to who's "smart" and who's not. Everytime I see your retarded avatar it makes me want to jab a pen through my eye.
Eh. I thought all he meant was that they were pretty average college grads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat May 22, 2010 2:16 pm

A'nold wrote:

This should be /thread
No offense to miamiman, but the douchiest poster title definitely belongs to either L&O or Godspeed.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 2:22 pm

A'nold wrote:

This should be /thread
Dude, honestly get a life. I'm not pretending to be the czar of intelligence nor am I making a commentary on T3 and T4 law schools (or their students). I've met enough Nova Law grads to know that quite a few of them can be and are quite sharp. What I am saying is that the dozen or so that I know quite well, some of whom I've known my entire life, are just of average intelligence and I say this based upon my 24 years of knowing them. I also know that hiring patterns have gone to shit and that virtually all of the Nova grads in major firms were grandfathered in before the Miami market saturated to all hell.

Let me ask you a question since you seem to want to make this personal: do you think attending a T3 or T4 law school is wise? My guess is that you don't since you frequent the trransfer board.

I have lived in Miami most of my adult life. I know what is occuring in this market -- both because my parent is a partner at a major miami firm and because I personally know a ton of attorneys in this area. They don't respect Nova grads and they respect Nova grads exponentially more than Barry grads. Do the math. And stop demonizing me because of whatever insecurities you may have.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 2:27 pm

miamiman wrote:
A'nold wrote:

This should be /thread
Dude, honestly get a life. I'm not pretending to be the czar of intelligence nor am I making a commentary on T3 and T4 law schools (or their students). I've met enough Nova Law grads to know that quite a few of them can be and are quite sharp. What I am saying is that the dozen or so that I know quite well, some of whom I've known my entire life, are just of average intelligence and I say this based upon my 24 years of knowing them. I also know that hiring patterns have gone to shit and that virtually all of the Nova grads in major firms were grandfathered in before the Miami market saturated to all hell.

Let me ask you a question since you seem to want to make this personal: do you think attending a T3 or T4 law school is wise? My guess is that you don't since you frequent the trransfer board.

I have lived in Miami most of my adult life. I know what is occuring in this market -- both because my parent is a partner at a major miami firm and because I personally know a ton of attorneys in this area. They don't respect Nova grads and they respect Nova grads exponentially more than Barry grads. Do the math. And stop demonizing me because of whatever insecurities you may have.
Haha. I don't giving a flying f about anything to do with Miami or Nova or whatever. I was just commenting that every time I see you post it makes me cringe b/c your every word drips with douchey arrogance. You are not a special snowflake, that is all.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 2:29 pm

ok bro. sorry I haven't met your standards on TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 2:40 pm

miamiman wrote:ok bro. sorry I haven't met your standards on TLS.
You honestly don't think you come across as an arrogant d-bag on here? I mean, is that your real personality or something?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat May 22, 2010 2:43 pm

A'nold wrote:
You honestly don't think you come across as an arrogant d-bag on here? I mean, is that your real personality or something?
Nope, I don't think I project as or am an arrogant Dbag on TLS or otherwise.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 2:45 pm

miamiman wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Nope, I don't think I project as or am an arrogant Dbag on TLS or otherwise.
I hardly ever single people out on here for things like this. Maybe I just happened to click on your posts everytime you did or said something douchey. If that is the case, I apologize.

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Sat May 22, 2010 2:49 pm

barry offered me a full scholarship...and i didn't even apply. i think that says something about their quality standards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”