UPENN vs. Fordham $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A'nold

Gold

Re: UPENN vs. Fordham $$$

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 9:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, IBOS.
Bastard, I wanted dibs! I'd bet that OS would say Penn to though, after throwing in some good stuff about Fordham though. :wink:

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 9:24 pm

CCNP wrote:let fordham know that you got into penn. maybe they will give u a free ride.

Anyway t14>t50 in job placement in biglaw according to many legal blogs.
LULZ. I get to be in before something at least.

IBtheCallingFordhamATop50SchoolFallout.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:27 pm

CCNP wrote:Anyway t14>t50 in job placement in biglaw according to many legal blogs.
Thank you for bringing in this new and previously unheard of information.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 pm

I can understand why you are having trouble making this decision. I think it is closer than most people are making it out to be. It depends what you want to do. If you are really debt averse, and have no desire to practice outside of NY, go Fordham. The lack of debt will give you more freedom in terms of what kind of job you take, as you don't need big money out the door to pay off suffocating debt. You won't feel forced into continuing [strike]big law[/strike] a stressful job if you find out you can't handle it/hate it. And you will eventually find a good job in New York with a Fordham degree.

Edit: By big law job I meant a stressful job. You probably won't get a big law job out of Fordham.

However, you will have far fewer job opportunities out of Fordham. ITE you may not be working at all out of Fordham (at graduation). Penn gives you national opportunities. And most important for OP, Penn is better than Fordham for New York employment. Period.

So the lack of debt would be the only reason to go Fordham. This is an incredibly important reason to consider it. However, you would be giving up so much in terms of job opportunities and overall status (even in New York), and for this reason I will join the chorus and vote Penn.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 pm

IzziesGal wrote: I much prefer the pace of life and the people in Phila.
You mean the people who intentionally vomit on 11 year old girls at baseball games?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat May 22, 2010 11:39 am

legalease9 wrote: So the lack of debt would be the only reason to go Fordham. This is an incredibly important reason to consider it. However, you would be giving up so much in terms of job opportunities and overall status (even in New York), and for this reason I will join the chorus and vote Penn.
The difference in debt would be about 50k, maybe 60k. The COL in NYC would offset some of the difference in that scholarship. The difference between a school like Penn and a school like Fordham is worth WAY more than $50k.
A'nold wrote:
Bastard, I wanted dibs! I'd bet that OS would say Penn to though, after throwing in some good stuff about Fordham though. :wink:
+1.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
IzziesGal wrote: I much prefer the pace of life and the people in Phila.
You mean the people who intentionally vomit on 11 year old girls at baseball games?
:lol:

Blimpo12

New

Post by Blimpo12 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 pm

The difference in debt would be about 50k, maybe 60k. The COL in NYC would offset some of the difference in that scholarship. The difference between a school like Penn and a school like Fordham is worth WAY more than $50k.
A'nold wrote:
Actually the COL would be alot less because if I would go to Fordham I would be living at home.

3 Stripes

New

Post by 3 Stripes » Mon May 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Go to UPenn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blimpo12

New

Post by Blimpo12 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 pm

3 Stripes wrote:Go to UPenn.
Unfortunately its not that simple as there are a number of factors swaying me towards staying in New York even though Penn is a better school.

3 Stripes

New

Post by 3 Stripes » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Blimpo12 wrote:
Unfortunately its not that simple as there are a number of factors swaying me towards staying in New York even though Penn is a better school.

Go to Fordham, then.

Blimpo12

New

Post by Blimpo12 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:07 pm

3 Stripes wrote:
Blimpo12 wrote:

Go to Fordham, then.
Thanx for being so helpful.

3 Stripes

New

Post by 3 Stripes » Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Blimpo12 wrote:
3 Stripes wrote:
Blimpo12 wrote:

Go to Fordham, then.
Thanx for being so helpful.

It seems to me that you already have your mind made up and just want reassurance. Unfortunately, this is TLS and everybody will try to sway you one way or another without any tangible information or statistics.

I will say this though, Fordham is highly underrated and places very well in New York, which has an astronomical cost of living. If you're getting money from there and you already have connections to NYC and people there, then....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm

It's only a little over 2 hours between NYC and Philly (and it might be less by Accela). Go to Penn. The distance is very very small and a very easy drive/train ride.

Blimpo12

New

Post by Blimpo12 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm

keg411 wrote:It's only a little over 2 hours between NYC and Philly (and it might be less by Accela). Go to Penn. The distance is very very small and a very easy drive/train ride.
Thats actually something I never considered. Living in New York and commuting to Penn. Is that an unreasonable commute?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Blimpo12 wrote:
keg411 wrote:It's only a little over 2 hours between NYC and Philly (and it might be less by Accela). Go to Penn. The distance is very very small and a very easy drive/train ride.
Thats actually something I never considered. Living in New York and commuting to Penn. Is that an unreasonable commute?
It's not really "commutable" (I at least wouldn't attempt it 1L year); but it's very easy to get home on weekends/holidays.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
Blimpo12 wrote:
It's not really "commutable" (I at least wouldn't attempt it 1L year); but it's very easy to get home on weekends/holidays.
For the hours you are going to be putting in at school absolutely not. If you take the Acela (very expensive) it is still easily an hour and a half train ride, and that is only station to station.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:For the hours you are going to be putting in at school absolutely not. If you take the Acela (very expensive) it is still easily an hour and a half train ride, and that is only station to station.
You're saying that 4 hours per week (of which can still be used to read) is going to impinge upon one's studies? These seems highly suspect considering people make time for various other activities that take more time per week and still do well during 1L, and many of these other activities do not allow one to do school work during it like the 4 hours of travel time does.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:For the hours you are going to be putting in at school absolutely not. If you take the Acela (very expensive) it is still easily an hour and a half train ride, and that is only station to station.
You're saying that 4 hours per week (of which can still be used to read) is going to impinge upon one's studies? These seems highly suspect considering people make time for various other activities that take more time per week and still do well during 1L, and many of these other activities do not allow one to do school work during it like the 4 hours of travel time does.
I think the "absolutely not" referred to commuting daily. That would mean a roundtrip commute of at LEAST 4 hours/DAY. That is totally impossible. But as said above, going home on weekends would be feasible.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Blimpo here is the deal. I go to fordham. If you want BigLaw unless you plan on graduating in the top 10% at Fordham (good luck with that plan) then you should go to Penn. I'm not sure % Penn places these days in BigLaw but it has to be at least top third. If you are not set on BigLaw and just want a good job in NY....still go to Penn. It's really rough out there right now and you'll want Penn at the top of your resume. I guarantee it. I love Fordham by the way but the economy really sucks in case you haven't noticed and jobs are really scarce. On second thought, don't go to law school at all. Good luck! And now back to the writing competition.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:19 pm

lawyering wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I think the "absolutely not" referred to commuting daily. That would mean a roundtrip commute of at LEAST 4 hours/DAY. That is totally impossible. But as said above, going home on weekends would be feasible.
Ah. I assumed Dtackpat was responding to the last quote he quoted. Obviously the 4 hrs/day would be ridiculous while weekends is an option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 24, 2010 2:23 pm

And now back to the writing competition.
--ImageRemoved--

sorry for the jack. i herd ur unsure of where to go. go to Penn dawg.

Edit: didn't know it would be such a large meme. just goes to know, you never know what will happen. and that's why you should go to Penn.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:I mean you ultimately have to decide based on personal preferences, but for me unless I had a full ride at fordham I wouldn't even think twice about taking Penn. I love NY it is much better than Philly but University City aint so bad and the only thing fordham has against Penn is location.
Ehhh - I prefer Philly to NYC. I've worked in both cities, and NYC can really take a toll on a person when you're spending 50+ hrs a week there for years on end. I much prefer the pace of life and the people in Phila.
Philadelphia is a shithole. Especially compared to NYC.

That being said, I'd go with Penn, although maybe not as "OMGWTFWHATELSEWOULDYOUDOMORON" as some other people in this thread.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm

bk187 wrote:
lawyering wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Ah. I assumed Dtackpat was responding to the last quote he quoted. Obviously the 4 hrs/day would be ridiculous while weekends is an option.
Yea I meant for the daily commute. For a weekend thing not sooo bad.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm

lawyering wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Girlfriend is going to be living outside of philly at home to save money. Doing the 4 hours/DAY commute to school in NYC all next fall. Lol at her.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”