T-14 with a family.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby Renzo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

The Kid wrote:Thanks a lot for the input, KMaine.

And Renzo, could you talk a little about schools in the neighborhoods where you plan to live?

I am still in denial about having to figure the school thing out (I still have a year). NYC adds an extra layer of complication to the school-choosing fiasco, because public schools are terrible and private schools are a) expensive and b) absurdly competitive.

User avatar
Chicklets
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 am

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby Chicklets » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm a west coast native, and recommend that you take a look at Stanford. They have on campus family housing for law/grad students. I have a school aged child, and would love to have gone there, but had to pick a place based on where both husband and I found law/grad opportunities, so it is off to the east coast for us. Good luck!!

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby yeff » Wed May 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Chicklets wrote:I'm a west coast native, and recommend that you take a look at Stanford. They have on campus family housing for law/grad students. I have a school aged child, and would love to have gone there, but had to pick a place based on where both husband and I found law/grad opportunities, so it is off to the east coast for us. Good luck!!


Eh, OP, unfortunately, don't get your hopes up for Stanford with a 3.66.

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby The Kid » Wed May 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Renzo wrote:NYC adds an extra layer of complication to the school-choosing fiasco, because public schools are terrible and private schools are a) expensive and b) absurdly competitive.


Can you give me an idea of private schools' costs in and out of NYC? (forgive my ignorance: I'm an international applicant)

User avatar
x47point6
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby x47point6 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm

I'll be doing Penn in the fall with a 27 m/o and a 9 m/o. I'm living about thirty min off campus out in the suburbs. Also Pynchon fan. PM me if you want my insights on the logistics or any of my as-yet-unproven plans.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby Renzo » Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

The Kid wrote:
Renzo wrote:NYC adds an extra layer of complication to the school-choosing fiasco, because public schools are terrible and private schools are a) expensive and b) absurdly competitive.


Can you give me an idea of private schools' costs in and out of NYC? (forgive my ignorance: I'm an international applicant)

I honestly can't say. Like I said, I am in complete denial about having to deal with it.

User avatar
longdaysjourney
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: T-14 with a family.

Postby longdaysjourney » Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Renzo wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Renzo wrote:It seems like by "family friendly" you mean "not urban," so Michigan, UVA, and Duke are your schools.


Not really sure that OP does mean that (although that was a big consideration for me). I think a place could be urban and "family friendly." The main concern for me was finding good public schools for my daughters. OP's child seems younger.

I realize big cities can be family-friendly; I brought my family to NYU (the Village is not family friendly, FYI). But I think the OP is using "family friendly" as code for staid and suburban.


Sorry if I was unclear, but I am not solely interested in suburban schools. I would prefer to live within walking distance of my school though...so if a school is in an urban environment I would like it to have nice, livable, on-campus family housing or a safe neighborhood nearby with a grocery store and such.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, SolRs and 5 guests