Curious about possible TLS sabotage...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Have you ever given wrong advice on purpose here?

Hell yea, it's a dog eat dog world.
26%
No way, that would be SO wrong.
21%
I never thought about it- what is WRONG with you.
53%

Total votes: 62

HazelEyes

Curious about possible TLS sabotage...

Postby HazelEyes » Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

I’ve been wondering if people intentionally mislead people in the hopes of freeing up more slots at the school of their choice.

For instance, it’s not a secret that I’ve been waitlisted at American and would really like to attend. Therefore, I try to refrain from voting on American vs. School X polls, and if I offer an opinion, I state that I’ve got an ulterior motive.

But I’m wondering if anyone else on here wonders about the information they are getting in polls…

Just a thought.

ze2151

Re: Curious about possible TLS sabotage...

Postby ze2151 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

I think the opposite happens more often. For example, I'm attending Emory in the fall and trumpet its virtues to anyone who will listen. So I skew the votes in the opposite direction. I'm sure it evens out.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

ze2151 wrote:I think the opposite happens more often. For example, I'm attending Emory in the fall and trumpet its virtues to anyone who will listen. So I skew the votes in the opposite direction. I'm sure it evens out.

Yes, but i'm talking about people who are pending or waitlisted. Once you're in- you're in!

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

HazelEyes wrote:
ze2151 wrote:I think the opposite happens more often. For example, I'm attending Emory in the fall and trumpet its virtues to anyone who will listen. So I skew the votes in the opposite direction. I'm sure it evens out.

Yes, but i'm talking about people who are pending or waitlisted. Once you're in- you're in!

Normally, i would attach a disclaimer somewhere along the line of: Take my perspective with a grain of salt as i will be attending the school in question

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 am

Generally speaking, I tend to refrain from X v Y school discussions.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

I really don't see anything wrong with my question. I clearly stated that I do not do this, and was just curious if I can count on other people's opinions to be correct. Jeez.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:56 am

Since no one on here is really an expert anyway, I'm not sure this is a huge deal. The "good" advice on here is often bad and I imagine "bad" advice might turn out good. Regardless, if anyone is making major life decisions based on TLS without any critical thinking / research on their part, they almost deserve to get bad advice.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Since no one on here is really an expert anyway, I'm not sure this is a huge deal. The "good" advice on here is often bad and I imagine "bad" advice might turn out good. Regardless, if anyone is making major life decisions based on TLS without any critical thinking / research on their part, they almost deserve to get bad advice.

+1

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Don't make descions based on what people on the intet say, and certainly not what polls on TLS say, unless of course that advuice come from me, then take it, but everyone else don't listen to. This advice has worked for me personaly, so I can say it will work for with 100% certainy

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Tue May 18, 2010 9:42 pm

If you make your 'School A' v 'School B' pick based on a TLS poll you're an idiot.

In the case of other forms of bad advice (regarding studying, job searching, etc) you would have to be a hollow husk of a person to use TLS to sabotage people at other schools. I like to think that most people posting are being honest.

Regardless, the best defense is to be aware of the source and not take any single TLS piece of advice as gospel.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”