American Sticker vs Seton Hall Full Ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolprospect1

American Sticker vs Seton Hall Full Ride?

Postby lawschoolprospect1 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 am

I'm assuming the latter option. What do you guys think?

Always Credited

Re: American Sticker vs Seton Hall Full Ride?

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am

lawschoolprospect1 wrote:I'm assuming the latter option. What do you guys think?

--ImageRemoved--

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am

What are the stipulations on the Seton Hall offer? Where/what do you intend to practice?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 am

Don't pay sticker at American. I know that much for sure.

As far as whether Seton Hall is worth three years of your life even for free, you'll just have to be the judge of whether it's worth giving up three years of your life for school to get a traffic court clerkship, or whether you'd rather spend that time starting a real career. :wink:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 11:10 am

My vote is for the traffic court clerkship if there are no stipulations on your award.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 am

American

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 am

You'd be a fool to take American in this situation and you are really really determined to go to law school. You also need to do a gut check to make sure you can drop out immediately if you lose your SHU scholly due to poor grade performance.

Jcougar, be fair, unless you're an SHU grad there is no reason to use JDU/scott bullock catch phrases. Being a NJ Superior Court clerk is not equal to traffic court and if the OP does well grade-wise and gets on a journal he should be good for a superior court clerkship whether he goes to Rutgers or Seton Hall.

OP, did you apply to rutgers?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

SteelReserve wrote:
OP, did you apply to rutgers?

This.

jetlagz28 wrote:American

OMG not this.

JOThompson wrote:What are the stipulations on the Seton Hall offer? Where/what do you intend to practice?

This too.

lawschoolprospect1

Postby lawschoolprospect1 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 am

did not apply to rutgers. got 35k from st. john's. would that be a better option than the other two?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

Is a retake possible?

Don't consider American unless you absolutely must work in DC. Even then, I think you'd be better served by retaking and shooting for GWU or GULC.

If not, I'd lean toward Seton Hall. St. John's is more respected, sure, but I doubt it's worth the extra cost. You should keep in mind that none of these schools are really going to guarantee you a good job ITE unless you earn a high class rank.

lawschoolprospect1

Postby lawschoolprospect1 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 pm

stipulation on seton hall is top 50% for first 35k, and the remaining pretty much automatic.

interested in public sector.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Not American at sticker.

COL in D.C. + 40K per year alone in tuition = miserable debt-ridden life after law school.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 pm

lawschoolprospect1 wrote:stipulation on seton hall is top 50% for first 35k, and the remaining pretty much automatic.

interested in public sector.

Well, IBR is always an option if you want American. If, however, you later decide to enter private practice, that's a heavy burden of debt.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

stipulation on seton hall is top 50% for first 35k, and the remaining pretty much automatic.

Actually that is one of the fairest stipulations I've heard of. I'm pretty sure NYLS does something like top 25% before you start losing money.

I say go for it. If you hit below median you should drop anyway. Top 50% at SHU cannot be that difficult if you put the effort in.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

SteelReserve wrote:Jcougar, be fair, unless you're an SHU grad there is no reason to use JDU/scott bullock catch phrases. Being a NJ Superior Court clerk is not equal to traffic court and if the OP does well grade-wise and gets on a journal he should be good for a superior court clerkship whether he goes to Rutgers or Seton Hall.

I kid, I kid.

The full scholly at Seton Hall is obviously the way to go. But OP should be ready to drop out if he/she loses the scholarship -- as much because below median grades at any T2 school will ruin you as because school will cost more. But if you have the credentials to get a full scholarship somewhere, you should be able to finish above median if you are focused enough, don't take things for granted, and if you study smart.

And I repeat, paying sticker at American is insane, especially when you factor in the exhorbant cost of living.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 pm

The value proposition of Seton Hall on a full ride is very good. Between that option and American at sticker, I think SHU is def. the right choice.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 pm

TLS is not a good place to ask questions about American.

I think most users would pick Cooley over American.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:TLS is not a good place to ask questions about American.

American is what it is: an over-priced law school without enough prestige to place its graduates into jobs that make paying off their full cost of tuition feasible. This applies to probably 85% of the law schools in operation right now, if not more. It's not just American that TLS picks on, it's every school below the T30 (and some even within the T30) that costs as much as a T14 school, yet offers you far less value when it comes to placement.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue May 18, 2010 8:45 pm

JCougar wrote:

American is what it is: an over-priced law school without enough prestige to place its graduates into jobs that make paying off their full cost of tuition feasible. This applies to probably 85% of the law schools in operation right now, if not more. It's not just American that TLS picks on, it's every school below the T30 (and some even within the T30) that costs as much as a T14 school, yet offers you far less value when it comes to placement.

American is also stingier with money than most others and is in an extremely expensive area in terms of COL

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 18, 2010 8:48 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
JCougar wrote:

American is also stingier with money than most others and is in an extremely expensive area in terms of COL

Both are great points, the latter of which makes American an even worse decision at sticker.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

JCougar wrote:Don't pay sticker at American. I know that much for sure.

As far as whether Seton Hall is worth three years of your life even for free, you'll just have to be the judge of whether it's worth giving up three years of your life for school to get a traffic court clerkship, or whether you'd rather spend that time starting a real career. :wink:

Idiot.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 am

shutterbug wrote:
JCougar wrote:Don't pay sticker at American. I know that much for sure.

Idiot.

:wink:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”