Help out someone new

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dreaminboutsandiego

Help out someone new

Postby dreaminboutsandiego » Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Hello all,

I just found this site as I was looking for law school info on the internet (also procrastinating studying for my Criminal Justice final tommorow!). I've deposited at NYLS and Thomas Jefferson School of Law. Both have really great employment prospects NYLS (almost 93%) and TJSL (96.4%). I really don't care where I live, I feel like TJSL will give me a chance at most of the wes coast, while NYLS has most of the east coast, so this isn't really a concern to me. Anyway, TJSL offered me 15k/yr while NYLS offerend nothing. I'm inclined to go with TJSL because of hte better employment stats and the scholly. My interest is in working in a mid-large size firm doing corporate law. If I had to settle for a clerkship for a short time I wouldn't mind either.

Thanks in advance,

Dreaminboutsandiego

Doritos

Re: Help out someone new

Postby Doritos » Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 am

--ImageRemoved--

Regardless, I would recommend you read the employment statistics very very very closely at both schools. What year is this employment info from? What type of employment do they have? What % are reporting? Also, do not expect any sort of degree mobility from either school. You said you want to do corporate law? You are going to have a very tough time doing that with either degree. Research some firms that do corporate law and look where their associates went to school to get a better idea of where you need to go to maximize your chances.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 am

dreaminboutsandiego wrote:Hello all,

I just found this site as I was looking for law school info on the internet (also procrastinating studying for my Criminal Justice final tommorow!). I've deposited at NYLS and Thomas Jefferson School of Law. Both have really great employment prospects NYLS (almost 93%) and TJSL (96.4%). I really don't care where I live, I feel like TJSL will give me a chance at most of the wes coast, while NYLS has most of the east coast, so this isn't really a concern to me. Anyway, TJSL offered me 15k/yr while NYLS offerend nothing. I'm inclined to go with TJSL because of hte better employment stats and the scholly. My interest is in working in a mid-large size firm doing corporate law. If I had to settle for a clerkship for a short time I wouldn't mind either.

Thanks in advance,

Dreaminboutsandiego

I'm guessing flame... If not, you need to do some research on here as both of those schools suck.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:42 am

dreaminboutsandiego wrote:Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Dreaminboutsandiego

Either this is a flame or you are quite possibly the most confused person I have every seen. Re-evaluate your life.

Edit: And you don't settle for a clerkship, they are very competitive and are great experiences for a legal career.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 am

Flame. "Settle for a clerkship" gave it away.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue May 18, 2010 1:04 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Flame. "Settle for a clerkship" gave it away.

+1.

Nice 'tar Kilpatrick. Gasol is a pretty cool Laker.

dreaminboutsandiego

Postby dreaminboutsandiego » Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 am

I'm not a hundred percent sure what a flame is but based on context it seems like you guys think im making this up or something. I apologize if I offended anyone with the "settle for a clerkship." When I went on a tour at TJSL one of the students I was speaking to told me that often times students who miss a shot at biglaw often clerk for a few years after graduating. I just assumed that was the normal alternative. Also, I've been browsing the site since I've posted and there seems to be a bit of an elitist vibe. I realize that many of you are bright and headed off to Yale, but we can't all do that. Plus rankings basically mean nothing. There arbitrary. Noone cares that much about undergrad rankings. If you go to your local community college it's not like you can't get a job because you didn't go to Harvard. I'm not looking for a fancy diploma, just a solid legal education with a good chance of a job. Even if the job propsects are a bit off, they still both have to be somwhere in the 90%. I'll take 9/10 odds anyday.

Postby 005618502 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:26 am

hahaha obviously a flame. Where is TJLS? and do those employment stats must be way off, they are not even that great at many T14. Also the tour guy hopefully doesnt represent the general student body as getting a clerkship is a huge accomplishment and usually comes from top ranked schools placing highly in your class.

Do some more research, you sound like you are very misinformed

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Tue May 18, 2010 1:26 am

I think the "criminal justice final tomorrow!" is what gives it away; the clerkship is just the icing on the cake. Flame.

[and round two, the "There arbitrary", wins points for cleverness]

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 18, 2010 1:30 am

dreaminboutsandiego wrote:I'm not a hundred percent sure what a flame is but based on context it seems like you guys think im making this up or something. I apologize if I offended anyone with the "settle for a clerkship." When I went on a tour at TJSL one of the students I was speaking to told me that often times students who miss a shot at biglaw often clerk for a few years after graduating. I just assumed that was the normal alternative. Also, I've been browsing the site since I've posted and there seems to be a bit of an elitist vibe. I realize that many of you are bright and headed off to Yale, but we can't all do that. Plus rankings basically mean nothing. There arbitrary. Noone cares that much about undergrad rankings. If you go to your local community college it's not like you can't get a job because you didn't go to Harvard. I'm not looking for a fancy diploma, just a solid legal education with a good chance of a job. Even if the job propsects are a bit off, they still both have to be somwhere in the 90%. I'll take 9/10 odds anyday.

--ImageRemoved--

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 18, 2010 1:35 am

"there arbitrary" was good, but "elitist vibe" was the real giveaway in that second post.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 am

Obligatory post of the same picture of fire that everyone on TLS uses:

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am

Haha-- as if someone who has problems with there/their/they're could handle "elitist vibe"...up to that point, though, it was really pretty good.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue May 18, 2010 1:44 am

dreaminboutsandiego wrote:I'm not a hundred percent sure what a flame is but based on context it seems like you guys think im making this up or something. I apologize if I offended anyone with the "settle for a clerkship." When I went on a tour at TJSL one of the students I was speaking to told me that often times students who miss a shot at biglaw often clerk for a few years after graduating. I just assumed that was the normal alternative. Also, I've been browsing the site since I've posted and there seems to be a bit of an elitist vibe. I realize that many of you are bright and headed off to Yale, but we can't all do that. Plus rankings basically mean nothing. There arbitrary. Noone cares that much about undergrad rankings. If you go to your local community college it's not like you can't get a job because you didn't go to Harvard. I'm not looking for a fancy diploma, just a solid legal education with a good chance of a job. Even if the job propsects are a bit off, they still both have to be somwhere in the 90%. I'll take 9/10 odds anyday.

Why do you not believe in rankings? "there" definitely not arbitrary.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 am

OP for your next flame I would recommend

1. Catchier title. If you included the names of the schools in the subject line you would get a lot more responses
2. Don't tip your hand so early. Try to get at least one person to write a long thoughtful response trying to talk you out of law school before you make your flame obvious. That will make it more entertaining for all of us.

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 am

Wow, for once, a flame that is a flame and not a poor lost soul.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 am

I give this troll a 2/10. He did really well but just let a few glaring mistakes slip by.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue May 18, 2010 2:27 am

Kilpatrick wrote:OP for your next flame I would recommend

1. Catchier title. If you included the names of the schools in the subject line you would get a lot more responses
2. Don't tip your hand so early. Try to get at least one person to write a long thoughtful response trying to talk you out of law school before you make your flame obvious. That will make it more entertaining for all of us.

Agreed. I'd also add:
3. Don't jam pack too many hot buttons at once (criminal justice, TTT employment stats, midlaw, etc.). Remember: quality over quantity.
4. Toss in a few more grammatical mistakes (be subtle about it though), make it a little less organized, and avoid shorthand like "scholly" as they tend to suggest familiarity with the forum slang

Bonus tip:
5. Add some personal tidbit that makes suckers empathize and take the bait (i.e. you're a single parent)

Good luck!

Postby 005618502 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:09 pm

hahaha i love this forum!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”