Are they really that bad? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZachOda

Bronze

Are they really that bad?

Post by ZachOda » Sun May 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Just saw the USNews 2011 rankings for law schools, and URichmond and UOregon are in the 80's. Are they really that bad of schools or is there something else to it? As is stands right now I don't want to apply anyplace below 35 in ranking but those two looked good on paper until I actually referenced the new list. Any advice on them would help, thanks

Diamond

Re: Are they really that bad?

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes and no. The ranking are more like a pyramid than a ranked list. The difference between 55 and 85 is nothing.

But career prospects at these schools are extremely limited.

Do you have a GPA/LSAT and a future career path, and location you want to practice?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Don't listen to DF - he is one of the TLS elitists. URichmond is EASILY the 5th best law school in the state and the #1 law school in all of Richmond.

Wow ever since the writing competition started, I've been sort of a jerk.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Don't listen to DF - he is one of the TLS elitists. URichmond is EASILY the 5th best law school in the state and the #1 law school in all of Richmond.

Don't stop this is funny.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun May 16, 2010 2:32 pm

This is an anecdote but perhaps it will be of some use. I know two people who went to URichmond. They both talk shit on the school and how it sucks. They complain that their classmates were terrible and that it was a poor choice to pay sticker. Despite this one landed a government gig and the other works for a small firm, both in DC. But, they both went to school before the crash.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Don't listen to DF - he is one of the TLS elitists. URichmond is EASILY the 5th best law school in the state and the #1 law school in all of Richmond.

What an idiot.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:12 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What an idiot.
Me, him or both?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What an idiot.
Me, him or both?
I say both.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
What an idiot.
Me, him or both?
I say both.
It's the only fair conclusion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Both. Him for not realizing that distinctions b/t law schools in VA are pointless. You for feeling the need to belittle people that don't go to law schools that you think are awesome. But as soon as you detach your feelings of self-worth from where a magazine ranks a school you don't even attend yet, you might become a more interesting human being. Good luck.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 16, 2010 3:26 pm

MrKappus wrote:Both. Him for not realizing that distinctions b/t law schools in VA are pointless. You for feeling the need to belittle people that don't go to law schools that you think are awesome. But as soon as you detach your feelings of self-worth from where a magazine ranks a school you don't even attend yet, you might become a more interesting human being. Good luck.
We trash Richmond because you have a good chance of getting a shitty job and being heavily indebted if you go there, not because of US News.

HTH.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 pm

MrKappus wrote:Both. Him for not realizing that distinctions b/t law schools in VA are pointless. You for feeling the need to belittle people that don't go to law schools that you think are awesome. But as soon as you detach your feelings of self-worth from where a magazine ranks a school you don't even attend yet, you might become a more interesting human being. Good luck.
You for taking TLS seriously.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
You for taking TLS seriously.
high five.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 16, 2010 3:52 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 pm

i lol'd

i am starting to think law school is a lot like moving to L.A. to become an actor. people who want to do it are following their dreams, assume they have what it takes despite daunting odds, and are not to be dissuaded no matter how foolish they are being.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:57 pm

IAFG wrote:i lol'd

i am starting to think law school is a lot like moving to L.A. to become an actor. people who want to do it are following their dreams, assume they have what it takes despite daunting odds, and are not to be dissuaded no matter how foolish they are being.
You can be a lawyer easily, you'll just fuck yourself with debt if you don't go for free.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You can be a lawyer easily, you'll just fuck yourself with debt if you don't go for free.
you can also be an extra easily

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:This is an anecdote but perhaps it will be of some use. I know two people who went to URichmond. They both talk shit on the school and how it sucks. They complain that their classmates were terrible and that it was a poor choice to pay sticker. Despite this one landed a government gig and the other works for a small firm, both in DC. But, they both went to school before the crash.
--ImageRemoved--

Any excuse to use this.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Does being an extra pay enough to live?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun May 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Does being an extra pay enough to live?
The rough equivalent of document review?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 16, 2010 5:13 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:This is an anecdote but perhaps it will be of some use. I know two people who went to URichmond. They both talk shit on the school and how it sucks. They complain that their classmates were terrible and that it was a poor choice to pay sticker. Despite this one landed a government gig and the other works for a small firm, both in DC. But, they both went to school before the crash.
Ugh more TLS elitism. I knew of someone who went to URichmond and dropped out, but landed a SICK job at his dad's company. So obviously some people make $$$$ out of URichmond. Imagine how much he would have made if he graduated???

The professors are fantastic and they're the only school out there (other than UCI) that actually cares about students and learning (so even if you're unemployed, at least you're enriched as a human being).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Sun May 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Last edited by zozin on Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 pm

zozin wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Ugh more TLS elitism. I knew of someone who went to URichmond and dropped out, but landed a SICK job at his dad's company. So obviously some people make $$$$ out of URichmond. Imagine how much he would have made if he graduated???

The professors are fantastic and they're the only school out there (other than UCI) that actually cares about students and learning (so even if you're unemployed, at least you're enriched as a human being).
That's a terrible example. Most people don't have parents or relatives with businesses that can hire them as a fallback.

I love how the BP mafia shows up whenever a member begins an argument.
You may have forgotten to turn on your sarcasm meter.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:40 pm

zozin wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

That's a terrible example. Most people don't have parents or relatives with businesses that can hire them as a fallback.

I love how the BP mafia shows up whenever a member begins an argument.
In this they came to argue against me.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

how? I always wanted to be random guy number 3 that dies in an action movie sequel
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”