U. of San Diego vs. UNLV Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
italianp88

New

U. of San Diego vs. UNLV

Post by italianp88 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:30 pm

I have just been accepted off the waitlist of both schools. Right now I am leaning towards UNLV but am also considering USD. I need some constructive advice. Which school will give me better all-around prospects of working outside their respective states? Is the rankings difference that big of a deal?

yo!

Silver

Re: U. of San Diego vs. UNLV

Post by yo! » Sun May 16, 2010 12:48 pm

italianp88 wrote:I have just been accepted off the waitlist of both schools. Right now I am leaning towards UNLV but am also considering USD. I need some constructive advice. Which school will give me better all-around prospects of working outside their respective states? Is the rankings difference that big of a deal?
Neither will give you much chance for working out of its region, but ESPECIALLY not UNLV. UNLV grads do very well in Nevada due to the lack of competition, but have a tough time outside of the state. For what it's worth, I say go to UNLV for its much lower price tag and learn to love the state. It is really easy to get residency after 1L year, so you will only be paying 20K per year rather than 40. The rankings don't matter that high, all schools after T20 are regional.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:41 pm

The rankings are irrelevant in this case. It comes down to where you want to work. If you want to work in Nevada then UNLV, if you want to work in SD then USD. As yo! said, neither of them are going to give you much of chance outside their regions.

If you are deadset on working in an area other than SD or Nevada, then I might consider reapplying.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 pm

yo! wrote: It is really easy to get residency after 1L year, so you will only be paying 20K per year rather than 40. The rankings don't matter that high, all schools after T20 are regional.
+1

If you feel that all else is equal (location, campus, resources, etc.) then take the lower cost. Both schools should provide equal job opportunities in their respective locations.

italianp88

New

Post by italianp88 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm

I am leaning towards UNLV simply because of location. Does anybody know if UNLV's "region" extends to Utah? I would like to end up there and I know there is obvious competition from U. of Utah and BYU. Any UNLV grads have luck getting jobs on the Wasatch front?

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 pm

italianp88 wrote:I am leaning towards UNLV simply because of location. Does anybody know if UNLV's "region" extends to Utah? I would like to end up there and I know there is obvious competition from U. of Utah and BYU. Any UNLV grads have luck getting jobs on the Wasatch front?
It's going to be very difficult to answer this question due to UNLV's relative youth. Have you asked the Career Services Office which firms recruit on campus? The NALP Directory only lists two Phoenix firms and one Denver firm as UNLV recruiters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”