Tough Decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Go for it OR take a risk and wait?

Penn State (10k)
6
35%
Loyola Chicago (10k)
2
12%
Retake LSAT & apply early this cycle.
9
53%
 
Total votes: 17

xoxo86
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Tough Decision

Postby xoxo86 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:12 am

-------
Last edited by xoxo86 on Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby acadec » Sat May 15, 2010 12:10 pm

It really depends on how much of an increase you can expect. As an URM with a decent GPA, if you can get into the low 160s, you'll be looking at much better choices than you have now. But if you don't see yourself doing much better than 150, it's not worth the wait. Did you spend much time preparing for the LSAT? If not, I'd study a lot and try again next year.

xoxo86
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby xoxo86 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Overall, I would say that I spent two months studying.

I took Testmasters & didn't put in a 100%.

I'm not sure IF I can do better. I suck at standardized testing.

However, I think that if I study enough there's a chance I can do better & get into a better school.

So I don't know.

I've been out of school for two years so waiting another year doesn't seem like best decision.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby 1ferret! » Sat May 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Gotta say I'm surprised you got in with $ at the schools you listed. If you have higher aspirations, then retake. You might want to take the year off and retake anyway given the current market, just puts another year in between you and the worst of it.

Edit: Doesn't sound like you have a great strategy for improvement. Take the Penn State with its lower cost of living, do well, get more scholarships and get out with as little debt as you can.

xoxo86
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby xoxo86 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Hmm thanks for your input.

My strategy would be to sign up for Testmasters again.

Study at night & try to get a higher score.

I do have bigger dreams...which is pushing me to wait, but that's a BIG risk & I've already taken two years off.

Perhaps I should go to Penn State & hope for a transfer.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby Regionality » Sat May 15, 2010 12:34 pm

xoxo86 wrote:Hmm thanks for your input.

My strategy would be to sign up for Testmasters again.

Study at night & try to get a higher score.

I do have bigger dreams...which is pushing me to wait, but that's a BIG risk & I've already taken two years off.

Perhaps I should go to Penn State & hope for a transfer.


This should absolutely never be a strategy. If you go to Penn State, expect and be happy with graduating from Penn State. In order to transfer up, and get into a high tier-1 school you need to be in at least the top 20% of your class, probably closer to top 10-15%. Additionally, as a transfer student, my impression is that schools care a LOT less whether you are a URM or not. You will by far see the highest advantage as a URM in the initial application process...so either go to your best option now or shoot for a 5-10 point increase on your LSAT, which is only possible with many hours of studying/week leading up to an LSAT that feels second nature to you.

Do not plan on transferring.

xoxo86
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby xoxo86 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Regionality wrote:
xoxo86 wrote:Hmm thanks for your input.

My strategy would be to sign up for Testmasters again.

Study at night & try to get a higher score.

I do have bigger dreams...which is pushing me to wait, but that's a BIG risk & I've already taken two years off.

Perhaps I should go to Penn State & hope for a transfer.


This should absolutely never be a strategy. If you go to Penn State, expect and be happy with graduating from Penn State. In order to transfer up, and get into a high tier-1 school you need to be in at least the top 20% of your class, probably closer to top 10-15%. Additionally, as a transfer student, my impression is that schools care a LOT less whether you are a URM or not. You will by far see the highest advantage as a URM in the initial application process...so either go to your best option now or shoot for a 5-10 point increase on your LSAT, which is only possible with many hours of studying/week leading up to an LSAT that feels second nature to you.

Do not plan on transferring.



Thank you for this.

I know that I shouldn't rely on transferring but I have this pressure to go to school now & not waste another year.

I'm very up in the air.

Benefits to waiting: possible score increase, more scholarship money, start to save money.

Cons to waiting: loss of time, score decrease or cancellation, tougher cycle.

xoxo86
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Tough Decision: Loyola Chicago (10k), Penn State (10k), OR

Postby xoxo86 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 pm

------

lawschool4life
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Tough Decision

Postby lawschool4life » Sun May 16, 2010 2:46 pm

I'd say go to Penn State.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests