Trying to figure out what kind of law to practice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZachOda

Trying to figure out what kind of law to practice

Postby ZachOda » Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm definitely interested in criminal law, and I would love to work in the DA's office right out of law school. What kind of focus should I be looking at when considering schools, or what schools should I apply to? I haven't gotten a straight answer on any blog whether or not that qualifies as "public interest" law or a government position, so I don't know what figures to look at in terms of job placement after graduation. I have a 3.67 gpa going into my senior year and my most recent (3rd) practice lsat was a 169, even though I know it does not matter much. Money is an issue though, so I probably will not be able to go to the best school that I get into.
Thanks for the help!

rbgrocio

Re: Trying to figure out what kind of law to practice

Postby rbgrocio » Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

You practice whatever kind of law you get a job in. At least, that's my approach... You get to pick and choose once you have some experience.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Is it just me, or does your subject line not match the body of your post? Seems like you've decided what kind of law to practice and are trying to pick a school.

I encourage you not to be too certain of what you think you want to do before you've tried it or been exposed to other areas of the law. In general though, the important things to consider when going to a school are: is the school T14, if not, is the school where you want to work, is it well regarded. Go to the best school you can afford to go to, and if it's not T14 then in the area you want to work. Focusing on specific programs is probably not important, although I'll leave open the possibility that in some very specific cases it can be.

As far as your prospects go, let us know when you have a real LSAT score.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Go to law school before you make a decision.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 pm

kalvano wrote:Go to law school before you make a decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”