Chicago-Kent vs. Rutgers-Newark

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
inSouthAmerica

Chicago-Kent vs. Rutgers-Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Fri May 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Ok, so I just got off Chicago-Kent's wait list... with 30k per year renewable at 3.25, renewable at 15k at 3.0, OR 18k with no GPA reqs.

I'm in and deposited at Rutgers-Newark with 8k per year at 3.0. If I go to Rutgers, I will (at least for the first year) live with my parents and commute 45 minutes each way. I'm a NJ resident, but I haven't lived there for 6 years, and I live in Peru now.

assuming (perhaps erroneously) that I maintain my schollies,
Rutgers in-state and after scholarship is going to be about 16k+transportation+books.
Chicago-Kent is looking like 10k per year + living expenses + books.

My guess is that Chicago-Kent will come out 5k more expensive per year...
but I get to live on my own in Chicago...
I was set on and happy with Rutgers before this offer.
Should I be second guessing myself?

I love NYC and Jersey, but I'm a flexible person, and could see myself in Chicago. I don't know anything about Chicago though...

bk1

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. Rutgers-Newark

Postby bk1 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:15 pm

If you're happy with NJ then I would say Rutgers as it has less competition in NJ than Chicago-Kent has in Chicago.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Fri May 14, 2010 6:21 pm

If living on your own is a huge deal and you're at the point in your life where you want to try something different U.S.-wise, I'd at least look into Chicago-Kent. Chicago is almost like New York. Depends on where you want to practice and what works best.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sat May 15, 2010 4:27 pm

so is it just a tossup for whichever makes me feel more comfortable, and since theres a lot less unknown for me with rutgers, rutgers would take the edge?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:06 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:so is it just a tossup for whichever makes me feel more comfortable, and since theres a lot less unknown for me with rutgers, rutgers would take the edge?

ISA, if it makes you feel fine about picking RU over Kent... take a look at how much $$$$ Kent is, scholarship or not. It isn't worth the money unless you are 100% set on Chicago (I got into both). Just stick with RU :D.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm

yeah fuck it ill just live with my parents, go to newark. thanks for the responses.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:yeah fuck it ill just live with my parents, go to newark. thanks for the responses.

Moderately dissapointed that he chose this. Good luck though.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:37 am

why disappointment?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 am

get it to x wrote:If living on your own is a huge deal and you're at the point in your life where you want to try something different U.S.-wise, I'd at least look into Chicago-Kent. Chicago is almost like New York. Depends on where you want to practice and what works best.

I'd go to Chicago-Kent with no hesitation. Cool and very underrated school in a cool city. Job-wise, more Kent grads are hired by Chicago firms than are grads from any other schools. Some of that is obvious self-selection because NU and U-Chicago degrees are nationally portable. But, in terms of strict hiring, Kent is still beating all of the other schools, including UIUC. More UIUC grads may, on average, make bigLaw, but more Kent grads have jobs period. And a UIUC JD is only slightly more portable than a Kent JD.

Rutgers is also a very good law school, but is located in a terrible market. And you will not pierce the NY market without being in the top-2% of your class.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm

PDaddy wrote:
get it to x wrote:If living on your own is a huge deal and you're at the point in your life where you want to try something different U.S.-wise, I'd at least look into Chicago-Kent. Chicago is almost like New York. Depends on where you want to practice and what works best.

I'd go to Chicago-Kent with no hesitation. Cool and very underrated school in a cool city. Job-wise, more Kent grads are hired by Chicago firms than are grads from any other schools. Some of that is obvious self-selection because NU and U-Chicago degrees are nationally portable. But, in terms of strict hiring, Kent is still beating all of the other schools, including UIUC. More UIUC grads may, on average, make bigLaw, but more Kent grads have jobs period. And a UIUC JD is only slightly more portable than a Kent JD.

Rutgers is also a very good law school, but is located in a terrible market. And you will not pierce the NY market without being in the top-2% of your class.

What is wrong with NJ???? :evil: :evil:

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm

nothing.

EcFlay

Postby EcFlay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 am

keg411 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

No one in that pic is actually from NJ.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 am

keg411 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Really? You're trying to bait us, right? Sorry - apparently the message body has a limit of 60k characters so I'm afraid we won't be able to exhaustively answer that question.

Choose Kent-Chicago. Chicago is an incredible city. I've lived in both and Chicago wins easily. It's not even close.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm

ignore troll.

1) It sounds like you'd rather be in NJ than Chicago.

2) Add in the fact that Rutgers would be cheaper
3) and that it has better prospects in its area than Kent does in its area

1+2+3= Go to Rutgers Newark and have fun.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

TommyK wrote:You're trying to bait us, right? Sorry - apparently the message body has a limit of 60k characters so I'm afraid we won't be able to exhaustively answer that question.

Choose Kent-Chicago. Chicago is an incredible city. I've lived in both and Chicago wins easily. It's not even close.

No, I'm not trying to bait at all.

Minus the 4 years when I was in college, I have lived in NJ all my life and I really really don't understand why people hate on it.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

I say Kent because you'll be on your own and if you have to commute and live with your parents you probably won't connect as strongly with your fellow students. Remember, some of these students will be partners, judges, etc...it pays to make those connections in school. Plus, Chicago is sick. I was there this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it...i'm sorry but NJ just doesn't hold a candle to Chicago

I have a buddy who just graduated from a top-10 school, median-ish, and he lived at home and commuted about 45 minutes. He has made no friends and pretty much hated school. Obviously, this is just one example but don't be like this guy...

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

There are some nice parts of NJ. In my opinion, Newark is not one of them. I was underwhelmed to say the least with Newark. While they've made significant progress with crime over the last couple of decades, the reputation remains. I would rate the economy better in Chicago as well. It's more diverse, with virtually every industry, and I believe the unemployment rate is lower. Also, I would bet that unless you're gonna' get a job in NYC, the legal market is larger in Chicago.

I think what you have here, all joking aside - is a lifestyle choice. I think the conventional wisdom of people much wiser than myself suggests that you choose the state that you intend to practice in since neither of these schools carries a ton of national prestige and would provide you better regional connections. Do you want to practice in NJ for the foreseeable future or do you want to practice in the Chicago market.

So the question really becomes - where do you want to live? I think it's obvious where my preferences lie, but I realize that you have family, friends, and a certain comfort level living in Jersey. I would prefer spending my summers at Wrigley Field, my Falls at Soldier Field, and weekends at some of the best museums, restaurants, and parks in the country. To each his own, though.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:34 pm

thanks for the many sincere responses as of late,
i passed up the offer over a month ago so, alas, we have a moot point...
i´m glad to see both Chicago-Kent and Rutgers-Newark getting some love though...

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:38 pm

TommyK wrote:So the question really becomes - where do you want to live? I think it's obvious where my preferences lie, but I realize that you have family, friends, and a certain comfort level living in Jersey. I would prefer spending my summers at Wrigley Field, my Falls at Soldier Field, and weekends at some of the best museums, restaurants, and parks in the country. To each his own, though.

i would never claim i´m from nyc, but lets be real, i´m an hour commute from new york city. the moma, lincoln center, the met, broadway, the natural history museum, yankee stadium, madison square garden, and others play second fiddle to nothing. the skiings not so great, but neither is chicagos.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:Ok, so I just got off Chicago-Kent's wait list... with 30k per year renewable at 3.25, renewable at 15k at 3.0, OR 18k with no GPA reqs.

I'm in and deposited at Rutgers-Newark with 8k per year at 3.0. If I go to Rutgers, I will (at least for the first year) live with my parents and commute 45 minutes each way. I'm a NJ resident, but I haven't lived there for 6 years, and I live in Peru now.

assuming (perhaps erroneously) that I maintain my schollies,
Rutgers in-state and after scholarship is going to be about 16k+transportation+books.
Chicago-Kent is looking like 10k per year + living expenses + books.

My guess is that Chicago-Kent will come out 5k more expensive per year...
but I get to live on my own in Chicago...
I was set on and happy with Rutgers before this offer.
Should I be second guessing myself?

I love NYC and Jersey, but I'm a flexible person, and could see myself in Chicago. I don't know anything about Chicago though...

If you want to move out why not just live along the PATH train---you can get cheap apt's right near 24h transit?

And after living in Montreal, Vancouver, Shanghai...let me tell you (as I'm sure you know), no second city matches NYC...good choice made

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:41 pm

montreals pretty sweet though... mont treblant, best east coast skiing period.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”