Not sure which area to study...?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawman54

Not sure which area to study...?

Postby lawman54 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:47 pm

I have always been interested in becoming a sports agent and I have some friends that just got drafted in this years draft. That could help me break into to field. I'm still not sure whether this is the only field I would want to pursue though.

So would you be stuck in sports law if you took those courses or could I still get work doing things other than something sport related.

NayBoer

Re: Not sure which area to study...?

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 14, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't think being stuck in sports law is a common problem. It's mainly an exotic and high-demand specialty that's really hard to get.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:01 pm

lawman54 wrote:I have always been interested in becoming a sports agent and I have some friends that just got drafted in this years draft. That could help me break into to field. I'm still not sure whether this is the only field I would want to pursue though.

So would you be stuck in sports law if you took those courses or could I still get work doing things other than something sport related.

I'm pretty sure the courses you'd need to take would be in contracts, labor law, etc and be broadly applicable post-law school. In terms of "breaking into the field" I'd imagine you're personal and professional network would be extremely important.

blueprint87

Postby blueprint87 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:04 pm

0L here, so take my advice as you will but from my understanding a lot of classes that complement an interest in sports law overlap with business law and other areas. Check out Tulane's sports law certificate for types of classes one should take and other areas, besides agency, that one could try to find work in. HTH

lawman54

Postby lawman54 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

So if I got the sports law certificate would it be harder for me to find a job corporate or any other areas of law because I had to take classes involving sports law? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just unsure what type of law I would like to practice once I graduated.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

A close family member is a Sport Agent. I'm not sure which classes he took in law school but he created his own sports agency directly out of law school and has been pretty successful. I doubt his school offered many sports law classes though so I'm pretty sure he just took some regular stuff related to contracts. HTH.

Chicklets

Postby Chicklets » Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Find a lawyer or two that is doing what you think you want to do and arrange an informational interview. Ask about which classes they took that have been most helpful, and get recommendations for any extracurriculars. See if they take summer associates. Find out if there is a national association of sports agents and see if you can go to one of their annual, or local meetings. Network, network, network.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Odds are good you're not becoming a sports agent when you graduate even if you take the classes. That's the bad news. The good news is that a lot of legal hiring isn't really specific about what classes you take; for the most part, your grades indicate your ability to learn the law, and then they teach you the law you'll be focusing in when you go to actually work for them. Sometimes what courses you take really matters, but for a lot of corporate law you can take classes that are broadly useful (Contracts, Corporations, etc.)

truffleshuffle

Postby truffleshuffle » Fri May 14, 2010 7:10 pm

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2005/07/ ... -fcsl.html

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2006/03/ ... s-law.html

outdated but still informative

Return to “Choosing a Law School”