GW or Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
caneman13

GW or Fordham

Postby caneman13 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:06 pm

I was all set to go to temple, and I was recently accepted off of both GW and Fordham's wait lists. I'm from philly and would like to work in the northeast somewhere. I know GW is ranked higher, but any feelings on which school offers more opportunities?

Always Credited

Re: GW or Fordham

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 14, 2010 3:07 pm

caneman13 wrote:I was all set to go to temple, and I was recently accepted off of both GW and Fordham's wait lists. I'm from philly and would like to work in the northeast somewhere. I know GW is ranked higher, but any feelings on which school offers more opportunities?

Fordham = NYC
GWU = D.C.

Opportunities are basically the same out of both - choose your location, and the school is chosen for you. No, neither has significant national reach.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Mon May 17, 2010 2:45 pm

I'll preface this by saying that I am a bit biased because I will be attending GW next Fall.

But from what I understand, GW does have a bit more reach than does Fordham outside their respective markets. Fordham far exceeds prospects in NYC then does GW, but GW has a bit more reach outside of just the DC market than Fordham does. I could be completely off though.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Always Credited wrote:
caneman13 wrote:I was all set to go to temple, and I was recently accepted off of both GW and Fordham's wait lists. I'm from philly and would like to work in the northeast somewhere. I know GW is ranked higher, but any feelings on which school offers more opportunities?

Fordham = NYC
GWU = D.C.

Opportunities are basically the same out of both - choose your location, and the school is chosen for you. No, neither has significant national reach.

I agree - it depends mostly on what you mean by the northeast. if you want to stay in Philly - I'd take Fordham over GW, but would strongly consider Temple. If you mean CT and above northeast, then you're probably out of luck.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon May 17, 2010 2:48 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:I'll preface this by saying that I am a bit biased because I will be attending GW next Fall.

But from what I understand, GW does have a bit more reach than does Fordham outside their respective markets. Fordham far exceeds prospects in NYC then does GW, but GW has a bit more reach outside of just the DC market than Fordham does. I could be completely off though.

GWU has some mobility in the area of Patent law. Nevertheless, somehow I feel that making a life decision based on single digit percentiles of mobility would be most unwise.

Also attending GWU this fall.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Well... if you got into GW/Fordham, did you apply to BC/BU? Both extremely strong NE regional schools.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Well... if you got into GW/Fordham, did you apply to BC/BU? Both extremely strong NE regional schools.

I was wait listed at BC and BU as well. I have all but decided to go to GW. Just seems to give me more options than Fordham. Plus my brother is an undergrad at Gtown.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am

Always Credited wrote:

Fordham = NYC
GWU = D.C.

TITCR

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 am

Always Credited wrote:

Fordham = NYC
GWU = D.C.

so would you say biglaw chances are pretty similar (i mean taking into account nyc for fordham and dc for gw)? would you say they are about equal in prestige factor?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am

timertimer61 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Fordham = NYC
GWU = D.C.

so would you say biglaw chances are pretty similar (i mean taking into account nyc for fordham and dc for gw)? would you say they are about equal in prestige factor?

Fordham generally gives better biglaw chances since NYC simply has a larger biglaw market than DC does, while the competition remains constant. Overall job prospects, however, may be a different story.

Biglaw or bust is Fordham all the way.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”