Penn State ($$) vs. Iowa vs. IU - Bloom

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn State ($$)
39%
Iowa
42%
IU - Bloom
19%

Total votes: 36

thinkpad

Postby thinkpad » Fri May 14, 2010 12:03 pm

looking to practice corporate law (something finance related). what do you think?

ideally i would prefer to practice in/near NYC but im more concerned with going to a school that will offer me the best route to corporate law.

thanks.

am060459

Re: Penn State ($$) vs. Iowa vs. IU - Bloom

Postby am060459 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:15 pm

i think Penn State would be best not only becuase of the money offered but also its location (near NYC). dont know much about employment at these schools so take my advice with caution :D

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 2:17 pm

thinkpad wrote:looking to practice corporate law (something finance related). what do you think?

ideally i would prefer to practice in/near NYC but im more concerned with going to a school that will offer me the best route to corporate law.

thanks.

1) How much is your scholarship at Penn State, and how much would you total, 3 year tuition be (with 5-10% expected increases)
2) Are you in-state at Iowa? If not, were you aware that you can get in-state at Iowa after the first year, lowering your annual tuition by about 20k?
3) Are you in-state at IU-B? If not, what are the rules for gaining residency after the first year?

We need more info.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Regionality wrote:
thinkpad wrote:looking to practice corporate law (something finance related). what do you think?

thanks.

1) How much is your scholarship at Penn State, and how much would you total, 3 year tuition be (with 5-10% expected increases)
2) Are you in-state at Iowa? If not, were you aware that you can get in-state at Iowa after the first year, lowering your annual tuition by about 20k?
3) Are you in-state at IU-B? If not, what are the rules for gaining residency after the first year?

We need more info.

+1

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm already leaning toward Iowa even before OP gets specific. Iowa is best for biglaw period out of all three schools, and there's the RA thing where you can get in-state after the first year.

thinkpad

Postby thinkpad » Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Scholarship at Penn State is $10,000 per year. 3 yr tuition, assuming 5% increases in the following years, minus schoalrship is roughly $90,000.

I live in NYC so i am not a resident at Iowa or Indiana.

I was not aware of the fact you can get in-state at Iowa after the first year. how difficult is that though?

vandalvideo: "IU has this nasty little policy that, even if you establish residency formally, if you were in Indiana for the expressed purpose of education at that time, IU reserves the right legally to classify you as a non-resident for tuitions sake."
(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94358&start=50)

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 2:47 pm

JCougar wrote:I'm already leaning toward Iowa even before OP gets specific. Iowa is best for biglaw period out of all three schools, and there's the RA thing where you can get in-state after the first year.

This. OP, you should do some more research regarding the specifics of the financial situations at each school. All Iowa Law OOS students can gain in-state tuition if they do a quarter-time, 10hrs/week Research Assistant position. It pays 7 bucks/hr, reduces your health insurance costs by about 80% and it qualifies you for the in-state tuition, bringing your tuition down from 41k to 22k (for this year). The RA positions are not guaranteed, but they say that they have never had a problem getting them for those that want/need them.

Edit: FYI, they forbid 1L's from being RAs, so you're stuck with the OOS tuition the first year....

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Iowa places about 20% of its students into biglaw, the other schools place considerably less.

/thread

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 2:57 pm

JCougar wrote:Iowa places about 20% of its students into biglaw, the other schools place considerably less.

/thread

Well...they did. I bet this number has fallen considerably this year (to perhaps <10%?)...but the numbers at the other school have quite possibly dropped to <3%. Who knows.

But it's all relative. But JCougar is correct. Cost at Iowa is good, job prospects are better out of all three of these schools, and Iowa is generally a better school.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Ps. Who on earth is voting for IU-B at out of state sticker over Iowa?

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

thinkpad wrote:

vandalvideo: "IU has this nasty little policy that, even if you establish residency formally, if you were in Indiana for the expressed purpose of education at that time, IU reserves the right legally to classify you as a non-resident for tuitions sake."

For what it's worth, I am currently in school at IUB, and have been told point blank by the Dean of Admissions for Maurer that there is almost no chance of establishing residency unless you completely take a year off from school and live and work here. He also said that the decision committee is wholly separate from the law school, and that they have no influence at all in the decision.

Currently, the state is only supplying the school with something like 20% of its operating budget, so the residency committees have been told to make sure that nobody gets in-state unless they are from here (using out of state $$ to subsidize in-state tuition...) There is an appeals process, but I have been told it is almost impossible to get a favorable verdict.

Anyway, I know that isn't great news, but I do hope it helps give you some information... I voted PSU, but think I might say Iowa considering your answers in the rest of the post...

thinkpad

Postby thinkpad » Fri May 14, 2010 4:08 pm

thank you all for your responses. i was leaning towards Penn State because of the scholarship but now am considering Iowa but still a little antsy on the whole obtaining a RA position to get in state tution for 2L and 3L at Iowa. if i dont get that then my expenses would be uncomfortable.

nonetheless, thank you all again.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm

thinkpad wrote:thank you all for your responses. i was leaning towards Penn State because of the scholarship but now am considering Iowa but still a little antsy on the whole obtaining a RA position to get in state tution for 2L and 3L at Iowa. if i dont get that then my expenses would be uncomfortable.

nonetheless, thank you all again.

Call them. They will tell you they have never seen anyone who wanted an RA position not get one. It's good experience too.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I voted for P State. The reason is that if you want to stay in a big city, and you have absolutely no connections that will land you a job, then you should go wtih Penn State. BUT, if you have hookups then go with Iowa, fo sho.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat May 15, 2010 11:41 am

Iowa v PSU with money is a little tough, but IUB shouldn't be even close to a consideration. Paying that enormous nonresident tuition for three years would be brutal.

Iowa will give you the best job prospects, PSU is closer to NYC, though. So, since you prefer to be closer to NYC, but you are most concerned about job prospects, I would go with Iowa. Plus, PSU comes to $90,000 and Iowa will likely come to around $92,000 - $95,000 total with the RA position, so there isn't much of a price difference. Finally, although I usually don't pay attention to fluctuations in the rankings, PSU looked appealing before the latest rankings came out because there was a little bit of hype surrounding them that they were a school on the rise, but then they fell 7 spots this year, so that hype kind of goes out the window (no idea if any of this matters in the eyes of employers, but it is something small to consider).

lawschool4life

Postby lawschool4life » Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Penn State has the faculty, connections and location to better put you in a position for corporate law. Iowa may be ranked higher but in the end I am betting Penn State will pay off for you.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Mon May 17, 2010 4:41 am

lawschool4life wrote:Penn State has the faculty, connections and location to better put you in a position for corporate law. Iowa may be ranked higher but in the end I am betting Penn State will pay off for you.

Untrue. Iowa places better in biglaw, better employment stats overall, and better reputation overall Unless OP wants to work on east coast or doesn't want to deal with RA positions at Iowa, Iowa is a better choice....of course the scholly and region may trump all other concerns...but things being equal, Iowa is a better law school in terms of employment prospects and reputation.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Regionality wrote:
lawschool4life wrote:Penn State has the faculty, connections and location to better put you in a position for corporate law. Iowa may be ranked higher but in the end I am betting Penn State will pay off for you.

Untrue. Iowa places better in biglaw, better employment stats overall, and better reputation overall Unless OP wants to work on east coast or doesn't want to deal with RA positions at Iowa, Iowa is a better choice....of course the scholly and region may trump all other concerns...but things being equal, Iowa is a better law school in terms of employment prospects and reputation.

This. NYC from Penn State = :lol: :lol: :lol:. Penn State has tons of trouble in Pittsburgh and Philly -- let alone NYC.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm

None of these schools make biglaw a likely possibility, but Iowa is still your best bet for a market paying job. IU shouldn't even be considered at this point because it not only costs more than Iowa but also enjoys fewer biglaw opportunities. If location is the huge determining factor, then take Penn State as you'll be able to find some type of work in the eastern corridor, just probably not biglaw.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”