Cardozo vs Seton Hall vs Rutgers Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WhizzerWhite

Cardozo vs Seton Hall vs Rutgers Camden

Postby WhizzerWhite » Wed May 12, 2010 11:26 pm

My old topic got hijacked so I'm starting a new one. I'm stuck deciding between Cardozo, Seton Hall and Rutgers Camden, and I am looking for advice. For those of you thinking only about the money, I am getting 35k a year at Seton Hall (must remain in the top half), at Rutgers Camden I am in state with 10k for the first year then 8k a year if I have a GPA of 3.5 or better the first year or 5k a year if I am under 3.5, and I am getting no aid at Cardozo. I am a year out of school, so I don't have alot of money saved up, but money is not the primary concern for me since the loans are managable. I went to undergrad in DC and would love to return to practice there. For those thinking that theses schools aren't really in that region, I have been waitlisted at 6 other schools all with more of a national reach, Emory, William & Mary, Hastings, UNC, Mason and American. I think academics are my primary concern, since I would like to be put in the best situation where I can teach law. I want to know which school would give me the best education, specifically in Constitutional Law. Thanks for the advise.

WhizzerWhite

Re: Cardozo vs Seton Hall vs Rutgers Camden

Postby WhizzerWhite » Sat May 15, 2010 11:08 am

Anybody?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:18 pm

I had pretty much the same options that you had and chose Rutgers; though my goals are far different.

But with your goals, I don't think you can teach law at any of those schools (even your WL's). If you really really want DC, then you should aim to get off the WL at W&M, American or George Mason or adjust your location. Cardozo in for NYC, SHU is for North Jersey and Rutgers-Camden is for South Jersey/Philly. All of these schools will get you essentially the same "education" and none are good for legal academia (you need to go to YHS for that).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat May 15, 2010 1:21 pm

1. These school's aren't gonna place well in DC. You're looking at NY/NJ.
2. Legal Academia is incredibly hard to break into, even from T6 programs. You could get an adjunct professorship after working, but again, not likely, and that's not really legal academia.
3. These schools are all going to give you about the same level of education.
4. Your WL schools aren't worth sticker price.

That said, here are your options:

1. Retake LSAT and reapply; get into better schools or these same schools with more money. I recommend this.

2. Go to the school that gives you the most money, and drop out if you lose your scholarship.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 18, 2010 2:27 pm

You have some fairly decent options for school, but none of them match up with your goals. Not to be harsh or anything, but I would forget about trying to teach law for now. Also, the schools you are talking about really only place into their immediate regions, so getting a DC job is going to be tough from any of them.

With that said, you have a couple of very low-cost options to choose from if you want to be a lawyer at a non-biglaw firm or do government work somewhere in the region of your school.

If the above doesn't interest you, I would retake and reapply.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm

To be completely fair, you'll be lucky to be employed upon graduation from these schools; legal academia is a pipe dream. A crystal meth pipe dream.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue May 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Legal academia isn't happening. DC probably isn't happening. Go to rutgers if you must attend law school now. Waitlist schools won't be worth sticker anyway considering your goals. Best advice is to retake, get a 170+ and then ed to Gtown and apply to GW. Sorry to be harsh.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”