Emory(100k) v. Georgetown (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Emory (100k)
66%
Georgetown (sticker)
34%

Total votes: 122

de5igual

Re: Emory(100k) v. Georgetown (sticker)

Postby de5igual » Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Important to remember that Emory is really not portable. So decide right now if you want to spend you life in the South. If not moving will really just not be an option.

a tad bit extreme there, don't you think?

it may not be the most portable degree, but it does send over 1/3 of its class across the northeast and mid-atlantic.

jsander1

Postby jsander1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:39 am

What did you decide, hotwater? :mrgreen:

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am

JCougar wrote:
rad law wrote:
jsander1 wrote:Job prospects at Emory vs. Georgetown are going to be somewhat similar

No. Latest NLJ250 stats (admittedly pre-ITE) have Georgetown edging out Emory 43% to 24%. Also, Georgetown has the edge in clerkships. Is it enough to take on $100,000 more in debt? I think not, but Georgetown has better job prospects.

I don't know if that counts as "edging out" Emory. If you take into account the clerkship difference, plus the difference that Georgetown has regarding people choosing to go into government rather than NLJ 250, basically Georgetown gives you double the chance of a good job compared to Emory. It costs more, but when we're talking about biglaw money, $100,000 is not a huge difference over the course of a career, or even 10 years.

If you can spend 100k living in ATL for three years you need to reanalyze your living habits. you can easily live in ATL for half that much. I know from experience.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 am

COL in Atlanta is going to be much less than in DC... I think Emory is a VERY portable degree. I'd go with that big scholarship. Emory is a great school and I do think the Gtown employment stats are padded based on the proximity to government options. If you are motivated (which apparently you are) and you are going to make a good lawyer (prosecutor) you will be fine regardless of where your degree is from. It seems like you’ll have no problem creating opportunities for yourself. 100k is 100k. Take it. It sounds like you'll be at the top of your class at Emory.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:29 pm

SummerLaw wrote:COL in Atlanta is going to be much less than in DC... I think Emory is a VERY portable degree. I'd go with that big scholarship. Emory is a great school and I do think the Gtown employment stats are padded based on the proximity to government options. If you are motivated (which apparently you are) and you are going to make a good lawyer (prosecutor) you will be fine regardless of where your degree is from. It seems like you’ll have no problem creating opportunities for yourself. 100k is 100k. Take it. It sounds like you'll be at the top of your class at Emory.

What does that sound like? Who else sounds that way? I'm gonna start talking like them.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Haha dont we all wish we could!

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 pm

I dont know about him sounding like hes gonna be at the top of his class but hes given no indication of a mental/intellectual issue so i will give him the benefit of the doubt to be above median.

And I still think Emory is a good choice. Its a solid degree and although ATL is not a huge market I think you will make some strong contacts for a future as a prosecuter if you stay on your shit. Good luck.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am

Bad advice to the guy who said an extra $100k is no biggie... for every $100k you take out, that's AT LEAST another $1k in student loan payments post-grad. And COA will NOT add up to $100k in Atlanta... you are talking $60k-75k at most. Georgetown is another story... DC is ridiculously high (think NYC but less housing options). COA could get you up to $100k in DC. But people, finaid only let's you take out so much. Unless you have special circumstances, like kids, you are pretty much capped to around $20k in loans for living expenses. Even at the most expensive school I got into, I was capped at $30k/year withh 2 children (and that was including childcare).

There is not enough of a disparity between Emory and Georgetown to even consider turning down Emory. The COA is also way cheaper than DC.... trust me. I live in the Baltimore area (30 min from DC). heck, Atlanta is cheaper than Baltimore.L

Little debt + low COA + top20 = higher quality of life during school and post grad. Take the money at Emory and run!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”