Loyola LA vs Stetson vs retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Matheson

Loyola LA vs Stetson vs retake

Postby Matheson » Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello all,

LSAT 158/LSAC gpa3.64 (univ. gpa 3.97)
My highest practice lsat was 162 but I know I can get it up to the high 160s if not 170s.

I have been a professional ballet dancer for 12 years and and successfully unionized 32 dancers during the Bush administration. I have also managed a 3 star restaurant in San Francisco.

I was accepted to Loyola, Stetson, U. Miami U San Fran (no scholarships), and waitlisted at UNC, Wake Forest, and Hastings. Narrowed choice to Loyola (entertainment law options) and Stetson (long term girlfriend/quality of life).

I want to work in the entertainment law field with a focus on those that are most often underrepresented like ballet, opera, visual, and novice designers/photographers. My background has created many contacts that I can tap into, including very successful actors, directors, and ballet dancers. I am also interested in possibly running an arts nonprofit from the business side.

My biggest worry is taking on so much debt at 31 years old from schools that may not offer me the job that will facilitate paying them off. Is it better to take a year to get my LSAT up so I can get a scholly/better school or take the risk of getting a scholly during 1L? I feel confident that I will succeed in law school, but obviously don't know if I will make top 5-10%.

I thank you for your thoughts on this.

Matheson

Re: Loyola LA vs Stetson vs retake

Postby Matheson » Wed May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Also, if I take a year off I suppose I would look into interning at a law firm. I have never looked into this and don't know what kind of experience that would offer me. I would most likely be living in Gainesville or Tampa, FL with my girl during that year (she is deciding between the two med schools).

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Matheson wrote:My highest practice lsat was 162 but I know I can get it up to the high 160s if not 170s.

How?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

You definitely need to be in LA.

Matheson

Postby Matheson » Wed May 12, 2010 4:52 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Matheson wrote:My highest practice lsat was 162 but I know I can get it up to the high 160s if not 170s.

How?

Was working at the time and didn't expend the amount of energy I could have. If I retake, I will have from now until Sept. to study without much responsibilities. Plus I am not too far off, though obviously those points are the hardest. I was usually a bit slow not finishing 1-4 question a section.

peterswe

Postby peterswe » Thu May 13, 2010 1:33 am

Can you find decent work for the next year? If you can, you might as well wait. There is little difference between 35 and 34 with a fresh JD.

Wait, work, study, and retake.

But- 170s is very hard to reach if your currently at 158, and it might not be a realistic goal. I would shoot for mid to upper 160s. Such numbers would still put you in a much more comfortable situation than you're in now.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 13, 2010 1:37 am

Accept Loyola and retake. If you get higher ditch the deposit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”