Which top school is the "St. John's College" of lawschools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
longdaysjourney

Which top school is the "St. John's College" of lawschools?

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Which top school is the "St. John's College" of law schools?

Take that how you will, but please expound upon your choice.

Thanks...

Mr. Matlock

Re: Which top school is the "St. John's College" of lawschools?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 12, 2010 4:33 pm

St. Johns.... because it's St. Johns?????????

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:St. Johns.... because it's St. Johns?????????

Wrong St. Johns. I'm talking about St. John's "College", not St. John's "University."

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Wed May 12, 2010 4:38 pm

New York Law School. Causes the same confusion being named almost identically with another far superior school.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

Wrong St. Johns. I'm talking about St. John's "College", not St. John's "University."

Oh! Sorry.

St. Johns University..... because it's St. Johns????????

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 12, 2010 4:44 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:Which top school is the "St. John's College" of law schools?

Thanks...

Am I taking a Rorschach Test right now?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:Which top school is the "St. John's College" of law schools?

Thanks...

Am I taking a Rorschach Test right now?

yes

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Wed May 12, 2010 4:59 pm

wat?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 am

Princeton Law School

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 am

Regionality wrote:Princeton Law School

I take it back. I have no idea wtf this thread is about.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 am

NYLS and Lewis & Clark are credited. Received propaganda from both. Subsequently raged upon discovering that these are not, in fact, the droids you're looking for.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 am

There is no such thing because there couldn't be.

So, what were your impressions of Chemerinsky? Discuss at random with no coherent purpose.

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 am

Do you mean "St. John's College" at Cambridge? Where they pound on the table after a few drinks in their outrageously expensive robes in their gilded medieval dining hall and sing "I'd rather be at Oxford than St. John's"? Because if so, wtf? How would you even begin to rate that?

I guess if you found yourself at a secret meeting of the Gun Club at Berkeley, whistfully thinking through a whiskey haze about much you'd rather be a Bonesman at Yale, then you might have something of an equivalency.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu May 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Harvard Law school at Southeast Texas State University.

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College

I got sooooooo psyched when I saw that huge letter....

Then I got soooooo pissed when I read it.

krzyreeesh

Postby krzyreeesh » Sat May 15, 2010 7:43 pm

For the sake of the OP:

Unlike mainstream U.S. colleges, St. John's avoids modern textbooks, lectures, and examinations. Instead of textbooks, in addition to primary materials, the college relies on a series of manuals. While traditional (A through F) grades are given, the culture of the school deemphasizes their importance and grades are released only at the request of the student. Grading is based largely on class participation and papers. Tutors, as faculty members are called at the College, play a non-directive role in the classroom, compared to mainstream colleges. However, at St. John's this does vary somewhat by course and instructor.

The four-year program of study, nearly all of which is mandatory, demands that students read and discuss the works of many of Western civilization's most prominent contributors to philosophy, theology, mathematics, science, music, poetry, and literature, such as Aristotle, Shakespeare, Descartes, and Einstein. In line with the views of the program's founders—who complained of "vocational interests" that "clutter" other colleges' curricula—"Johnnies", as St. John's students style themselves, usually value intellectual pursuits for their own sake, regardless of whether they have practical application.

Despite its name, and the inclusion of Christian sacred texts and philosophers in its program, St. John's College has no religious affiliation.

--LinkRemoved--)

krzyreeesh

Postby krzyreeesh » Sat May 15, 2010 7:51 pm

And to follow up my clarification of what exactly the OP meant, I think the 'St. John's College' of law schools would have to be Washington & Lee. They recently revamped their third year program to break free of long-established law school tradition. It should be noted that W&L's third year was revamped to stress greater practicality, which is sort of opposite the mission of St. John's College - a school predicated on promoting academic discussion and thought regardless of practical implications. But their other traditions such as the honor system, their small class sizes and their emphasis on camaraderie over competition seem to jive with the approach of St. John's College, at least more so than any other law school that I've come across.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat May 15, 2010 7:54 pm

krzyreeesh wrote:For the sake of the OP:

Unlike mainstream U.S. colleges, St. John's avoids modern textbooks, lectures, and examinations. Instead of textbooks, in addition to primary materials, the college relies on a series of manuals. While traditional (A through F) grades are given, the culture of the school deemphasizes their importance and grades are released only at the request of the student. Grading is based largely on class participation and papers. Tutors, as faculty members are called at the College, play a non-directive role in the classroom, compared to mainstream colleges. However, at St. John's this does vary somewhat by course and instructor.

The four-year program of study, nearly all of which is mandatory, demands that students read and discuss the works of many of Western civilization's most prominent contributors to philosophy, theology, mathematics, science, music, poetry, and literature, such as Aristotle, Shakespeare, Descartes, and Einstein. In line with the views of the program's founders—who complained of "vocational interests" that "clutter" other colleges' curricula—"Johnnies", as St. John's students style themselves, usually value intellectual pursuits for their own sake, regardless of whether they have practical application.

Despite its name, and the inclusion of Christian sacred texts and philosophers in its program, St. John's College has no religious affiliation.

--LinkRemoved--)

krzyreeesh wrote:And to follow up my clarification of what exactly the OP meant, I think the 'St. John's College' of law schools would have to be Washington & Lee. They recently revamped their third year program to break free of long-established law school tradition. It should be noted that W&L's third year was revamped to stress greater practicality, which is sort of opposite the mission of St. John's College - a school predicated on promoting academic discussion and thought regardless of practical implications. But their other traditions such as the honor system, their small class sizes and their emphasis on camaraderie over competition seem to jive with the approach of St. John's College, at least more so than any other law school that I've come across.

Oregon??

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:

Oh! Sorry.

St. Johns University..... because it's St. Johns????????

LOL to ^^^^

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 15, 2010 10:04 pm

krzyreeesh wrote:For the sake of the OP:

--LinkRemoved--)

So in otherwords, its just "pre-grad school"

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 am

Matthies wrote:
So in otherwords, its just "pre-grad school"

No, it's what a classical liberal-arts education is supposed to be like. Or was, once.

Anyway.....you wouldn't want a "great books"-like approach to an initial legal education. If that's what interests you in the law, you should be looking to go wherever will help you gain access to whichever LLM/SJD programs appeal to you. Some law schools have a reputation for being more academic/intellectual (UCLA comes to mind) but nothing that mirrors St. Johns vs. most other schools.

At least, that's how I understand it. This sort of thing appeals to me too, but I gather it's best satisfied by personal reading. (I know: 'what's that?')
Last edited by Duralex on Sun May 16, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

profs<3mycomments

Postby profs<3mycomments » Sun May 16, 2010 11:52 am

whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt this is like every conversation I've ever had with a homeless person. Actually no, that's not fair. This is like ten conversations I've had with homeless people.

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 pm

profs<3mycomments wrote:whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt this is like every conversation I've ever had with a homeless person. Actually no, that's not fair. This is like ten conversations I've had with homeless people.

i laughed. hard.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed May 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Northeastern, I guess.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”