Stanford v. Yale

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Stanford v. Yale

Postby Tautology » Tue May 11, 2010 8:51 pm

A friend of mine is lucky enough to have this choice (I know, fuck her right!) and I'm trying to help her make it. What would be really useful are the substantive differences between the schools academically. I know Yale does much better with high-profile clerkships, and probably with academia too, but other than that are there any important differences?

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Tautology wrote:A friend of mine is lucky enough to have this choice (I know, fuck her right!) and I'm trying to help her make it. What would be really useful are the substantive differences between the schools academically. I know Yale does much better with high-profile clerkships, and probably with academia too, but other than that are there any important differences?

yale is yale.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby bk1 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:yale is yale.


and stanford is not yale.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Tautology wrote:A friend of mine is lucky enough to have this choice (I know, fuck her right!) and I'm trying to help her make it. What would be really useful are the substantive differences between the schools academically. I know Yale does much better with high-profile clerkships, and probably with academia too, but other than that are there any important differences?

yale is yale.


book is book.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 9:38 pm

What's with friends of admits asking these questions? She's smart enough to get in to Yale but not smart enough to come to the largest Internet message board relating to law school admissions for help?

lucille
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby lucille » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm

also, haven't the deposit deadlines passed?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

lucille wrote:also, haven't the deposit deadlines passed?


wtf? deposit deadlines are for lesser beings...not for ppl who are yale's chosen ones

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby tomhobbes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Both schools are roughly equally good, since they're peer schools, but Yale does much better in the arenas that it has an advantage in.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Both schools are roughly equally good, since they're peer schools, but Yale does much better in the arenas that it has an advantage in.


im not too sure i follow your logic here. i mean, it is kinda common knowledge that stanford's best in what it does best. i doubt yale can top that.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby Regionality » Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Both schools are roughly equally good, since they're peer schools, but Yale does much better in the arenas that it has an advantage in.


im not too sure i follow your logic here. i mean, it is kinda common knowledge that stanford's best in what it does best. i doubt yale can top that.


I definitely think Yale is Yale and Stanford is Stanford...besides what Yale does best is better than Stanford...and what Stanford does best is superior to Yale. They are themselves.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby Tautology » Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 pm

I hate you all because you all fill me with hate.

I should never have chosen this name.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby Regionality » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Tautology wrote:I hate you all because you all fill me with hate.

I should never have chosen this name.


It's ok, you are yourself...logically speaking.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby BlueCivic » Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm

So Yale is different than Stanford because Stanford is not the same as Yale, i think is the point that people are driving at.

User avatar
badlydrawn
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:11 am

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby badlydrawn » Tue May 11, 2010 10:54 pm

lulz @ thread.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby BlueCivic » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Mostly your friend should pick where they will be happiest, since that provide them with the highest quality of life. Stanford certainly has its advantages since there are areas in which it does better than Yale. But ultimately your friend needs to make a reaction from the heart, or at least go with his or her gut.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 am

I have a million reasons that I wouldn't want to go to Yale (I hate the northeast, New Haven is a hellhole, the Ivy League bums me out, it's way too expensive - yes, even Yale - and they don't give out scholarships, the intellectual competition would be just too intense, etc) and yet there is still no way I would ever be able to turn it down.

Yale is Yale.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 am

Just thought I would point out that while Yale is Yale and Stanford is Stanford, neither is Harvard. hth

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby doinmybest » Wed May 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Go to Yale!!

Did I mention that I'm on the Stanford waitlist? So... yeah go to Yale

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby legalease9 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:37 pm

We'd have to know more about where your friend wants to live/practice. We also need to know if Stanford gave any scholly money, and/or if your friend could use the Yale acceptance to squeeze some out.

Because I don't know anything about that, I have to vote Yale. All things being equal, it is the better school.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby legalease9 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:37 pm

doinmybest wrote:Go to Yale!!

Did I mention that I'm on the Stanford waitlist? So... yeah go to Yale

:lol:

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby Tautology » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 pm

legalease9 wrote:We'd have to know more about where your friend wants to live/practice. We also need to know if Stanford gave any scholly money, and/or if your friend could use the Yale acceptance to squeeze some out.

Because I don't know anything about that, I have to vote Yale. All things being equal, it is the better school.


I'm not really looking for recommendations as to where she goes, which is why I didn't ask for that. She understands that she needs to weigh quality of life/what she wants to do/where she wants to work and all that. What we know the least about is what advantages Yale actually has over Stanford other than the ones I mentioned in the OP. If Yale's advantages are just in clerkships and academia, and my friend is sure she doesn't care about those, then she can make her decision solely on other factors. If Yale has other advantages that she might benefit from, then she will have to weigh those as well.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Stanford is not Yale and Yale is not Stanford. Yale is Yale and Stanford is Stanford. Yalford is neither Stanford nor Yale.

love this thread so far

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby acdisagod » Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 pm

kalvano wrote:What's with friends of admits asking these questions? She's smart enough to get in to Yale but not smart enough to come to the largest Internet message board relating to law school admissions for help?


Yea, the advice we have offered so far is nothing short of golden.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 1:21 pm

On the one hand, Stanford has the Robert Crown Law Library, on the other Yale has the Lillian Goldman Law Library.

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Stanford v. Yale

Postby acdisagod » Wed May 12, 2010 1:24 pm

And the Lillian Goldman Law Library is the Lillian Goldman Law Library




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests