Columbia v. Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm fortunate to be choosing between these two schools. I realize that this choice may boil down to picking the city in which I want to live. Still, I'd appreciate any insight relating to my decision (setting aside the issue of cost of living).
--I received no $ from either.
--I have lived in and love both Chicago and New York City. I would be happy to be a student and settle down in either city.
--I am hopelessly undecided about my career path. The only thing I know is that I probably don't want to go into academia.

Things that are important to me: 1) accessibility and quality of the faculty; 2) opportunity to have a relatively active social life beyond studying; 3) general atmosphere of the school (I understand that law school is competitive, but I'd like to avoid a cutthroat environment).

Thanks.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby Unitas » Tue May 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Go to Columbia.. While I don't necessarily agree that "fun goes to die in Chicago," I do tend to believe when there is that much smoke there is a fire.

Plus NYC has so much to offer socially.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby dresden doll » Tue May 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Chicago fulfills all three of your requirements. Though the school is pretty intense, it's definitely not cutthroat and you'd have opportunity to socialize plenty. Never forget, the school does serve liquor every Friday afternoon.

That said, I'm sure same can be said of CLS. Moreover, I'd personally pick NYC over Chicago any day, any time. City of Chicago blows IMO. NYC = awesome.

If you haven't visited, you should. If you're still undecided after visiting, just pick Chicago. I mean, assuming you really do feel equally about both places, you can just as well save yourself some money in COL loans.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:Chicago fulfills all three of your requirements. Though the school is pretty intense, it's definitely not cutthroat and you'd have opportunity to socialize plenty. Never forget, the school does serve liquor every Friday afternoon.

That said, I'm sure same can be said of CLS. Moreover, I'd personally pick NYC over Chicago any day, any time. City of Chicago blows IMO. NYC = awesome.

If you haven't visited, you should. If you're still undecided after visiting, just pick Chicago. I mean, assuming you really do feel equally about both places, you can just as well save yourself some money in COL loans.


I have visited both. I like that CLS is in Manhattan. In terms of Chicago neighborhoods, Hyde Park ranks pretty low in excitement. That being said, I actually really liked the intellectual atmosphere of the UChicago campus as a whole; I felt like it was an ideal place to study -- though not socialize.

(And as much as I hate to pick a fight with someone giving me advice, Chicago is an awesome city. You probably just stayed in the touristy areas.)
Last edited by bloodonthetracks on Tue May 11, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I think this one is gonna come down to personal preference. Where do you think you'll be happier?

BTW, the people who post here that are attending Chi are a pretty awesome bunch, but I'm sure the same can be said for CLS.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby miamiman » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

This is a problem of plenty. Given there is little complexity here -- no money at either, a legitimate but not insurmountable COL disparity, lateral job prospects, I doubt youll find a compelling reason to attend one versus the other via TLS.

Best to go on gut. Or flip a coin.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby dresden doll » Tue May 11, 2010 7:38 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Chicago fulfills all three of your requirements. Though the school is pretty intense, it's definitely not cutthroat and you'd have opportunity to socialize plenty. Never forget, the school does serve liquor every Friday afternoon.

That said, I'm sure same can be said of CLS. Moreover, I'd personally pick NYC over Chicago any day, any time. City of Chicago blows IMO. NYC = awesome.

If you haven't visited, you should. If you're still undecided after visiting, just pick Chicago. I mean, assuming you really do feel equally about both places, you can just as well save yourself some money in COL loans.


I have visited both. I like that CLS is in Manhattan. In terms of Chicago neighborhoods, Hyde Park ranks pretty low in excitement. That being said, I actually really liked the intellectual atmosphere of the UChicago campus as a whole; I felt like it was an ideal place to study -- though not socialize.

(And as much as I hate to pick a fight with someone giving me advice, Chicago is an awesome city. You probably just stayed in the touristy areas.)


I think the intellectual atmosphere is awesome. My classmates are incredibly thoughtful and intelligent, and I genuinely enjoy their company. In fairness, though, I imagine I'd be saying much the same if I were attending CLS.

As for Chi - I actually live in the smack middle of downtown. I will admit my general hatred of Midwest and desire to get out after 7 years in the region have a lot to do with my hatred of the city. That said, NYC >>>>> Chi, touristy or no touristy areas. Sorry. :)

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

dresden doll wrote:
I think the intellectual atmosphere is awesome. My classmates are incredibly thoughtful and intelligent, and I genuinely enjoy their company. In fairness, though, I imagine I'd be saying much the same if I were attending CLS.

As for Chi - I actually live in the smack middle of downtown. I will admit my general hatred of Midwest and desire to get out after 7 years in the region have a lot to do with my hatred of the city. That said, NYC >>>>> Chi, touristy or no touristy areas. Sorry. :)

:( One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Chi was because of how much I like the midwest.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Chicago fulfills all three of your requirements. Though the school is pretty intense, it's definitely not cutthroat and you'd have opportunity to socialize plenty. Never forget, the school does serve liquor every Friday afternoon.

That said, I'm sure same can be said of CLS. Moreover, I'd personally pick NYC over Chicago any day, any time. City of Chicago blows IMO. NYC = awesome.

If you haven't visited, you should. If you're still undecided after visiting, just pick Chicago. I mean, assuming you really do feel equally about both places, you can just as well save yourself some money in COL loans.


I have visited both. I like that CLS is in Manhattan. In terms of Chicago neighborhoods, Hyde Park ranks pretty low in excitement. That being said, I actually really liked the intellectual atmosphere of the UChicago campus as a whole; I felt like it was an ideal place to study -- though not socialize.

(And as much as I hate to pick a fight with someone giving me advice, Chicago is an awesome city. You probably just stayed in the touristy areas.)


I think the intellectual atmosphere is awesome. My classmates are incredibly thoughtful and intelligent, and I genuinely enjoy their company. In fairness, though, I imagine I'd be saying much the same if I were attending CLS.

As for Chi - I actually live in the smack middle of downtown. I will admit my general hatred of Midwest and desire to get out after 7 years in the region have a lot to do with my hatred of the city. That said, NYC >>>>> Chi, touristy or no touristy areas. Sorry. :)


Fair enough. Though I would never consider living downtown. :wink:

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby Rand M. » Tue May 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I vote Chicago if for no other reason than you say faculty quality and accessibility is important to you. That seems to be the only factor where the two school separate. Chicago's size really plays into a lot of the head to head differences, and for my money, its usually an advantage. That said, you have no wrong move here; Congrats in advance on what will be the right choice.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby dresden doll » Tue May 11, 2010 7:50 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I think the intellectual atmosphere is awesome. My classmates are incredibly thoughtful and intelligent, and I genuinely enjoy their company. In fairness, though, I imagine I'd be saying much the same if I were attending CLS.

As for Chi - I actually live in the smack middle of downtown. I will admit my general hatred of Midwest and desire to get out after 7 years in the region have a lot to do with my hatred of the city. That said, NYC >>>>> Chi, touristy or no touristy areas. Sorry. :)

:( One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Chi was because of how much I like the midwest.


I am unique in my hatred of the city. Almost everyone hearts Chicago the city, for whatever inexplicable reason.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:I'm fortunate to be choosing between these two schools. I realize that this choice may boil down to picking the city in which I want to live. Still, I'd appreciate any insight relating to my decision (setting aside the issue of cost of living).
--I received no $ from either.
--I have lived in and love both Chicago and New York City. I would be happy to be a student and settle down in either city.
--I am hopelessly undecided about my career path. The only thing I know is that I probably don't want to go into academia.

Things that are important to me: 1) accessibility and quality of the faculty; 2) opportunity to have a relatively active social life beyond studying; 3) general atmosphere of the school (I understand that law school is competitive, but I'd like to avoid a cutthroat environment).

Thanks.


I chose Chicago. Or rather, I didn't really choose Chicago, I got 'Reserved' at Columbia and withdrew shortly thereafter. So I didn't have a choice to make and my response will thusly be tinged by some measure of an attempt to rationalize my selection of Chicago, however, I will try to compensate for it.

1) I found the Leiter Rankings somewhat useful in my Penn v. Chicago debate (although does that fact that he teaches at UC call them into question?) and the latest suggest that Chi might have a slight quality edge of Col. It's really pretty close so I would generally call it a wash unless there's one area you're particularly interested in. Student:Faculty ratios are also nearly identical so this could definitely be a dead heat. Anecdotally, a friend of mine spoke with a prof at Col who was supposedly an expert in a certain environmental field and friend reported that said prof had no idea what he was talking about. For whatever that's worth.

2) social life is what you make it, really. Both are top schools filled with top students in large, diverse cities. I do think I would give a slight edge to Col based on class size. More classmates = more people to meet, more organizations to be a part of and to put on events, more everything. Given that Col is roughly 2x the size of Chi, this could be a significant difference. Then again, both are in huge cities so if you know people in either, it could be a mitigating factor.

3) I can only speak anecdotally about Col (or really Chi for that matter, having never attended the law school myself), but a different friend who visited Col ended up picking Penn due to the students' "overwhelming douchiness". Again, one example, who knows how much it matters, but I used it to comfort myself over my Col rejection. A ton of Col students go into biglaw and tend to have business/finance backgrounds/interests. I think Chi is a slightly nerdier bunch in that students come from slightly more theoretical backgrounds, but again, this is just feeling. I really enjoyed my Chi ASW visit and was shocked to find people there who were bright, friendly, and liked to party. That's all I'm looking for.

Perhaps you've heard the phrase: you can't go wrong? Really, you can't. Good luck!

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Where did you go ug?

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm

thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses so far.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Where did you go ug?


non-HYP (or C) ivy. so...brown, cornell, dartmouth, or penn.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby clintonius » Tue May 11, 2010 8:08 pm

I want you at Columbia if only so I can buy a beer for the guy who got into UofC at the same time I got WL'd. So much anticipation!

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 8:11 pm

clintonius wrote:I want you at Columbia if only so I can buy a beer for the guy who got into UofC at the same time I got WL'd. So much anticipation!


beers are on me, clintonius.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby legalease9 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Go Columbia. Since you are completely undecided about career path and/or location, go with Columbia's (barely) better employment prospects. Plus Manhattan kicks ass! And Chicago does have the unfun rep...

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby clintonius » Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
clintonius wrote:I want you at Columbia if only so I can buy a beer for the guy who got into UofC at the same time I got WL'd. So much anticipation!
beers are on me, clintonius.
Actually, we can bring my friend who got the Roots at NYU. I've informed her that drinks are on her for the next three years.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 pm

clintonius wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
clintonius wrote:I want you at Columbia if only so I can buy a beer for the guy who got into UofC at the same time I got WL'd. So much anticipation!
beers are on me, clintonius.
Actually, we can bring my friend who got the Roots at NYU. I've informed her that drinks are on her for the next three years.

I was gonna comment on how awesome the group "The Roots" are.. until I realized you were referring to the Roots Tilden.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
clintonius wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
clintonius wrote:I want you at Columbia if only so I can buy a beer for the guy who got into UofC at the same time I got WL'd. So much anticipation!
beers are on me, clintonius.
Actually, we can bring my friend who got the Roots at NYU. I've informed her that drinks are on her for the next three years.

I was gonna comment on how awesome the group "The Roots" are.. until I realized you were referring to the Roots Tilden.


i was similarly confused.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:i was similarly confused.

If you know who "The Roots" are, and you knew them before Jimmy Fallon... come to Chicago. Now.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby Regionality » Tue May 11, 2010 8:31 pm

COL in Chicago is significantly cheaper than COL of NYC...you can find really affordable places around UChicago...

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby clintonius » Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 pm

And clearly that says something about Chicago's desirability; therefore, OP should go to CLS.

(ITT: law school tug-of-war!)

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 pm

clintonius wrote:And clearly that says something about Chicago's desirability; therefore, OP should go to CLS.

(ITT: law school tug-of-war!)


It could, Supply could have momentarily outpaced Demand. Two sides to every story, at least.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests