Dual Degree Programs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
nyjag22
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Dual Degree Programs

Postby nyjag22 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a school that offers dual degrees with J.D. (obviously) and M.A. in Education. Preferably in the northeast. I have no chance of getting into a T14, but T1 is definitely possible. Thanks in advance for your help!

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby Teoeo » Tue May 11, 2010 6:20 pm

nyjag22 wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking for a school that offers dual degrees with J.D. (obviously) and M.A. in Education. Preferably in the northeast. I have no chance of getting into a T14, but T1 is definitely possible. Thanks in advance for your help!


Um, just go through the schools ranked 15-50 in the northeast and go to their websites...

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby terpette » Tue May 11, 2010 6:21 pm

pretty sure GW has one

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Why do you want the MA in Education? That's an important question to ask. It may not accomplish what you think it will. I bring this up because I looked into a joint degree program (not Education, but Sociology) and ended up sorely disappointed.

User avatar
nyjag22
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby nyjag22 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm interested in getting a Master of Arts in Education because I want to teach secondary school social studies after law school. I'm thinking of practicing law for a while and then having a second career as a teacher. I know a lot of you would probably scoff at this idea, but I really want to do both. If I can get the two degrees done at the same time, then it would make the process that much easier in the future.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby darknightbegins » Wed May 12, 2010 3:55 am

You couldn't get a job teaching social studies with just a law degree and some teaching certification courses?

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby vexion » Wed May 12, 2010 3:58 am

You can get a job teaching high school social studies with just a BA and an ongoing night course towards an MA in education. At least, that's the way it is in Kentucky. They'll let you start teaching under the condition that you're enrolled towards an education degree.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby Lonagan » Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 am

You might find in a number of districts that the J.D. will be enough. I know a master's level degree in subject area is enough in some districts.

The real question should be where your passion really is. If you really just want to practice law for a few years before going into teaching I think that could call into question the wisdom of getting the J.D. Is there something specific you want to achieve in law in only a few years? Or is your real passion teaching, but you can't give up on the thought of being a lawyer? It's not that there is anything wrong with wanting to be a lawyer, but if teaching is what you really want then a master's in education is going to be a lot more cost effective, especially considering your eventual earning goal would be a teacher's salary.

User avatar
PLATONiC
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 am

I personally find that dual degrees can be an intellectually enriching experience, especially if it's not the typical JD/MBA route. I just think that it requires some good planning ahead if I were to embark on that journey. But here's a really funny thread on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87154&hilit=duel+degree

User avatar
pilawpcv
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby pilawpcv » Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 am

You might find this general intro to JD/MA's helpful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/introduc ... egree.html

More specifically, I know people in BC's JD/MA in Education program, and they really like it.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am

Lonagan wrote:The real question should be where your passion really is. If you really just want to practice law for a few years before going into teaching I think that could call into question the wisdom of getting the J.D. Is there something specific you want to achieve in law in only a few years? Or is your real passion teaching, but you can't give up on the thought of being a lawyer? It's not that there is anything wrong with wanting to be a lawyer, but if teaching is what you really want then a master's in education is going to be a lot more cost effective, especially considering your eventual earning goal would be a teacher's salary.

This. If you want to teach, go and teach. You can teach with a BA, there are schools out there that will take you with a BA, and some will even pay for you to get your MA while you teach. That way you'll be taking on less debt and building up seniority in the teaching system (which increases your pay) much faster.

User avatar
nyjag22
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby nyjag22 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for all who have posted thus far!

I should've been more specific, my apologies. I want to have NY state teaching certification, which requires a M.A.

I would like to do public interest law or go JAG corps for several years and then teach. Again, thanks for all of your thoughts!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

nyjag22 wrote:Thanks for all who have posted thus far!

I should've been more specific, my apologies. I want to have NY state teaching certification, which requires a M.A.

I would like to do public interest law or go JAG corps for several years and then teach. Again, thanks for all of your thoughts!

Don't the NYC schools have a provision where they'll get you provisionally certified as working on your MA and then pay for you to get your MA while you teach there, because they're so desperately short for teachers?

User avatar
nyjag22
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Postby nyjag22 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 pm

That's a good question. I'm not really familiar with NYC public schools (I'm from upstate), but I'm definitely going to look into that.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aside, neptunian, rat333 and 3 guests