Suffolk v. Stetson--Please help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
no leashes no rules

Suffolk v. Stetson--Please help!

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm having some trouble deciding between Suffolk and Stetson. No money at either. I have to decide real soon.

I went to Fordham UG, Class of '09. I'm working in Boston as a Legal Assistant at large corporation. I could keep the position and go to Suffolk nights (is this do-able?) That is the major pro, if I can manage both. Also, all of my family lives here and NY.

I like Stetson though. I understand it is technically a 'better' school, too. I visited and I'm impressed with their trial advocacy, legal writing and elder law program accolades. I grew up in NY and moved to Boston right out of college, so as far as environment--I like the allure of Stetson's "tropical setting" and the change of pace it might be.

I know the common response is to go where I want to have a career--but I don't have a preference. Please give me any advice on which would be my best bet. Which is a better choice as far as a better education and a better job afterwards.

Thanks--Kim

Grizz

Re: Suffolk v. Stetson--Please help!

Postby Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Do not go to either at sticker cost. Bad investment. Crowded markets + low prestige = possibility of no job or low-paying job + 6 figure debt.

I am from FL, and I can speak to the fact that Stetson grads are getting slaughtered in this economy. Small firms and local govt which used to hire Stetson grads are not available, and the few jobs left are being snapped up by UF and FSU people. The FL market was incredibly glutted before the economy tanked.

That said, retake LSAT to get some scholarship money from these schools or go to a better school.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Stay in Boston. There is no good reason for you to lose out on the contacts you are making.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Kim:

With a few exceptions most schools outside of the vaulted "T14" are regional schools. I would say that Suffolk and Stetson are most definitely considered part of this category. You said that you don't really care where you work, but my advice would be to do some serious soul searching and see if that is really true. If you graduate from one of these two schools and are able to find a job it will almost surely be in the surrounding region. You will likely be stuck there for a good 10-20 years.

Just judging from what you posted, I would say go with Suffolk. If you are able to keep working during law school or at least on breaks that will help you keep your student debt under control. Also, if your current employer likes you he may be able to give a you a job after you graduate of at least give you some good contacts.

Good luck!

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm

rad law wrote:That said, retake LSAT to get some scholarship money from these schools or go to a better school.

+1

Especially since you have a decent job now and have financial security...you can afford to wait a year and retake.

ihatelaw

Postby ihatelaw » Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Both schools are tough at full price. Big risk since it will be tough to get a job after either school. However, you know people in Boston and I have met legal assistants/paralegals before who did Suffolk part time because their employers promised them positions upon graduation. If you can swing something like that, Suffolk is worth it.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Suffolk is a decent school, and probably a T3 instead of T4.

That said, Boston is a small legal market. You're competing against some Harvard grads, but then BC, BU, Uconn, Northeastern, New England School of Law, and Western New England College (and Suffolk only probably beats out the last 2). BC and BU grads are really struggling from talking to a Boston attorney, and all those others schools are basically shut out.

I don't know much about what Florida is like, but I'm sure Stetson is not doing well either.

Unless you're law review, you'll probably have significant employment problems, and LR kids will have a tough time too. I'd rethink LS

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm taking a full ride to Suffolk and have decent connections in small/mid law in Boston and I'm still nervous about the investment.

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I've contemplated taking the time off and retaking the LSATs. My GPA, however, will always hold me back from anything much, much better. Along that line of reasoning, though, I could plan on transferring up somewhere after a year, no?

The other side of it (and I guess the reasons for attending Suffolk): I would plan to go to Suffolk nights, work along the way (my company also gives partial tuition reimbursement) and have a strong possibility of being one of the attorney's who are here--making over $100k.

PS. I am waiting from San Diego(WL), Chapman, Hofstra(WL) and Miami.

Informative

Postby Informative » Tue May 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Suffolk.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:Along that line of reasoning, though, I could plan on transferring up somewhere after a year, no?

Don't plan on transferring. Chances are, you won't. It's incredibly hard to make the grades.

The other side of it (and I guess the reasons for attending Suffolk): I would plan to go to Suffolk nights, work along the way (my company also gives partial tuition reimbursement) and have a strong possibility of being one of the attorney's who are here--making over $100k.

Hmmm how strong are we talking here?

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 5:05 pm

I've been made aware that I was hired to be groomed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:I've been made aware that I was hired to be groomed.

In that case, with a pretty much guaranteed job, Suffolk sounds good. Congrats.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm

There is no logical reasoning that would warrant any consideration of the possibility of transfering. There is a 95 percent chance you won't be able to. Unless you think you can do much better (all your PTs are 10 points higher) just go to Suffolk and do the best you can.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue May 11, 2010 5:09 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:I've been made aware that I was hired to be groomed.

Your company probably told you that to make you feel better about accepting a low salary. Employers have no loyalty and will kick you to the curb whenever it suits them.

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 pm

So, to put the nail in Stetson's coffin (maybe):

If I attended Stetson, did really well, maintained a network in Boston/NY and worked there on breaks, etc., and took advantage of one of their top ranking programs (1. Trial Advocacy, 2. Legal Writing *Elder Law)-- I would still have a tough time in a Northern (or any other region) finding a job?

i.e. What if I go there knowing I do not want to practice there (but rather go for the a nice quality of life while in law school/ change of pace) and focus energies on making sure I have something lined up elsewhere when I'm done. I know it's not the best idea--but is it the worst?

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for the warning Danteshek-

But I wasn't convinced to take a low salary, at all. I'm very happy with my compensation coming right out of college.

But even if they don' wind up hiring me...they partially pay for law school and it's five years experience under my belt. Right?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue May 11, 2010 5:38 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:Thanks for the warning Danteshek-

But I wasn't convinced to take a low salary, at all. I'm very happy with my compensation coming right out of college.

But even if they don' wind up hiring me...they partially pay for law school and it's five years experience under my belt. Right?

How much do they reimburse you for during the year? If the tuition reimursement + your salary is enough to make a sizeable dent in the amount of loans you will have to take out, then I say go for it.

I would not, under any circumstances, take Stetson up on their offer though.

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Besides dim employment opportunities, why not?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:Besides dim employment opportunities, why not?

Because you go to law school to get jobs.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 pm

rad law wrote:
no leashes no rules wrote:Besides dim employment opportunities, why not?

Because you go to law school to get jobs.

+1 Graduating unemployed from Stetson saddled with a ton of loans and no way to service them is not a situation you want to be in. The whole point of going to law school for most is to find employment. If you must go to law school this year, I would go to Suffolk. Going there will minimize your risk. If you are willing to sit out a year, which you should seriously consider since you have a job, I would suggest you re-take the LSAT.

McBean

Postby McBean » Tue May 11, 2010 5:56 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:So, to put the nail in Stetson's coffin (maybe):

If I attended Stetson, did really well, maintained a network in Boston/NY and worked there on breaks, etc., and took advantage of one of their top ranking programs (1. Trial Advocacy, 2. Legal Writing *Elder Law)-- I would still have a tough time in a Northern (or any other region) finding a job?

i.e. What if I go there knowing I do not want to practice there (but rather go for the a nice quality of life while in law school/ change of pace) and focus energies on making sure I have something lined up elsewhere when I'm done. I know it's not the best idea--but is it the worst?

The only thing I will add is that I have never heard of a ranking in certain programs to be worth a damn, outside of some LLM programs. I compare this to when people brag about the moot court team from their third-tier school beating Harvard. No one cares.

Oh, and go to Suffolk. At the very least you might find a job in the Gov't up here. Beacon Hill is lousy with Suffolk grads.

no leashes no rules

Postby no leashes no rules » Tue May 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I'd really like to take the lsats over and I understand that's the most prudent thing to do. But I've already said that my GPA will hold me back from anything much, much better.

Maybe I'll reconsider. My salary plus reimbursement is enough to cover tuition and living, btw.

Isn't Stetson a better school though? No one would recommend one of their programs? Aren't employment opportunities dim most places? Aren't there growth sectors i can take advantage of?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

no leashes no rules wrote:I'd really like to take the lsats over and I understand that's the most prudent thing to do. But I've already said that my GPA will hold me back from anything much, much better.

Maybe I'll reconsider. My salary plus reimbursement is enough to cover tuition and living, btw.

Isn't Stetson a better school though? No one would recommend one of their programs? Aren't employment opportunities dim most places? Aren't there growth sectors i can take advantage of?

Stetson and Suffolk are both incredibly regional. The ranking doesn't matter. Neither do specialty rankings.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm from the Boston area and I think Suffolk is underrated. In my opinion, it certainly does not have a "Tier 4" reputation. I really think that if it comes down to Stetson with no connections or Suffolk with connections, Suffolk is absolutely the right way to go. Suffolk is a gamble, no doubt, but Stetson at full price is a lottery ticket.

And no, Stetson's higher ranking doesn't change a thing. It really doesn't.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”