Texas (20 K per year) vs. Colorado (full tuition scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Colorado (free tuition) vs. UT (20K a year tuition)

Colorado
48%
Texas
53%

Total votes: 40

undecided2

Texas (20 K per year) vs. Colorado (full tuition scholarship

Postby undecided2 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Trying to decide between CU-Boulder and UT-Austin. I am from Colorado and most likely to end up here, but am really not sure where I want to live. I have no family commitments and would like to work in DC for a while, and clerk if I rank high enough.

Big law is not a huge priority, but I think it would be a good learning experience and would like to try it, at least for a while. Texas is obviously the better choice for working at Top Firms.

Does anyone have any experience with Colorado grads trying to find employment out of state?

Both schools have strong programs in environmental law, which is my strongest interest. Because of the scholarship at Colorado and flexible programs, I could also do a Masters or maybe even a PhD in Environmental Policy. This would be more difficult at Texas and would put me at least 100K in debt.

JollyGreenGiant

Re: Texas (20 K per year) vs. Colorado (full tuition scholarship

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Personally, I'd go to Texas. However, if you want to stay in Colorado for the long-term, I see no reason to not go there. (however, I know nothing of each schools' employment statistics)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Given your slight preference for staying in Colorado, and for environmental work, go to CU.

Texas puts way, way more students in biglaw, but it puts them in biglaw in Texas. A free education from CU basically has no downside--if you do really well one of the bigger Denver firms will snatch you up (if you want it), and given your interests you'll have more flexibility to find work that interests you with no/little debt.

leslieall5

Postby leslieall5 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 am

more important than all of that, i got the question about sotomayor right! I think I should go to law school too!

undecided2

Postby undecided2 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 am

you and j_rad just voted for CU.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 13, 2010 11:13 am

Go to Texas, it'll afford you the best opportunity to find a clerkship, land a biglaw job, and possibly secure work in DC (although TX is still a borderline national school IMO). After a few years of experience you will be much more portable and I think your strong ties will enable you to return to CO.

crazyeddie

Postby crazyeddie » Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am

I voted Colorado. Full tuition from a reputable school like Colorado seems like a hard thing to pass up. If you were more dead-set on BigLaw, then I would say go to Texas...but short of that take the money.

Boulder = Austin - Both are very cool places to spend three years

Colorado > Texas - for environmental, but the difference is small.

Texas > Colorado - for DC, but neither is great...and DC firms would want you to prove that you are not
just planning to stay for a few years and then leave (which you are). Plus, I would
WAY rather live in Denver than DC, but thats just me.

Also, Colorado is the best law school in its region which includes Denver (very cool city). You will have great opportunities for work with law firms in this area...its just that there aren't many NLJ 250 firms in this area. But despite what some people on this forum seem to believe, there is an opportunity for a $100k salary (and probably a better work/life balance) outside of the NLJ 250.

My $.02.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 13, 2010 11:35 am

Texas. It's in-state placement reputation is more of a function of self-selection than anything else. Any school that gives a significant discount to in-state residents will do so. If you do well there and want to work somewhere else, you're in good shape if you're above median.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”