Negotiating Scholarships

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jinkz

Negotiating Scholarships

Postby jinkz » Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 am

I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.

smov_operator

Re: Negotiating Scholarships

Postby smov_operator » Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

jinkz wrote:I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.

Go for it, it's probably a long shot but what's the worst thing they will say? No? It's not like you already enrolled or that they will take back their offer.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 am

jinkz wrote:I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.

I don't see any harm in asking. Of course, you don't have as much leverage now. But they may understand, and some money may have been freed up that could be diverted to you.

law123456

Postby law123456 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:52 am

ok. I think that you could and should ask for more money. The worst they can do is say no. You owe them gratitude for the original offers but you don't owe them a blind acceptance of the current terms.

I would phrase the request like this. "My financial situation has changed and I am now forced to reconsider my decision to forgo larger scholarship at xxxxx. (you do have a larger offer somewhere i hope) I did not wish to make my final decision without giving you a chance to respond to these developments.

I used a similar line in my second negotiation and was successful.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

law123456 wrote:I used a similar line in my second negotiation and was successful.

deff good to know that others have done this before!

i've heard rumors that schools targeting students with significant scholarships (right now i have a 60% scholarship, must be in top 50% of my class every year, can't get the $ back if i lose it)...if i ask for more and do happen to get it, would that put me at risk of being targeted and placed in sections with students in the same boat?

not sure if anyone can answer that for sure, since they're all rumors, but if there are any current students out there that have noticed this, let me know.

WashingtonJew

Postby WashingtonJew » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:38 pm

About negotiating - a) who to send letter to? Dean listed on acceptance letter or finaid, or both? E-mail or snail mail?

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am

WashingtonJew wrote:About negotiating - a) who to send letter to? Dean listed on acceptance letter or finaid, or both? E-mail or snail mail?

In my situation, I spoke directly to the recruiter who then spoke to the scholarship committee when they met.

joshbauer

Postby joshbauer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I am new to TLS so this may be a dumb question. I am in a position to attempt to negotiate for a higher scholarship and was wondering what the best way of going about doing so would be. Is there a place I can look for suggestions?

Thanks

Return to “Choosing a Law School”