FSU Law or Stetson Law...both full scholarships....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Apprehensive

FSU Law or Stetson Law...both full scholarships....

Postby Apprehensive » Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 am

Hello everyone! Right now I am having a difficult time deciding between Florida State Law and Stetson Law....both of which have awarded me full scholarships. I live 5 mins away from Stetson and could live at home and not accumulate any loan debt upon graduation. But, if I a attend FSU Law (a higher ranked law school), I would have to take out loans to live. I am having a hard time rationalizing taking out any loans (even if it is for a better school), if I can stay at home and not have to.
Any opinions?

flcath

Re: FSU Law or Stetson Law...both full scholarships....

Postby flcath » Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 am

I hope to God what you mean is "I got into both these schools, NOT with a full scholarship (or probably any significant scholarship), but my family will pay for my LS and so money is not an object for me."

I say I hope you're lying b/c, if you actually got full rides to both these schools, you're probably in a position to go to a significantly better school. What are your stats?

Lastly, to address your question as it stands: yes, FSU is worth the added CoL expenses over Stetson. If the economy picks up just a little, you can have a shot (not a great one) at Biglaw, which pays $160K/yr. No one at Stetson made Biglaw in 2005, which is the data we all still have.

Apprehensive

Postby Apprehensive » Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 am

No, my parents aren't paying my tuition. I was awarded for three years a $45,000 scholarship at FSU Law and a $90,000 (full-tuition) scholarship from Stetson. These scholarships would take care of all tuition expenses from each school. I have no desire to leave the state of Florida and I never applied to UF. I visited Tallahassee recently and truly enjoyed the FSU Law campus. I was very impressed. But, I have the same feeling about Stetson. I hear what you are saying about taking out loans to supllement the COL In Tallahassee and I have been taking that into consideration. Nonetheless, I am still undecided. I understand that most people regard LS tier as highly important, but I wanted some opinions about each school and what they have to offer, particularly in terms of career prospects.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 am

Apprehensive wrote:particularly in terms of career prospects.

FSU will give you the best career prospects in Florida. The FSU law degree is is much stronger than Stetson in Florida, and they have even been known to place in GA and Alabama (not that you care). FSU will dominate north Florida and compete with UF throughout the rest of the state. However, Miami will more than likely trump FSU in south Florida. Stetson will place relatively well in Tampa (not sure about now ITE, but they used to). Just out of curiosity, what would be the left over COL at Stetson?

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 am

Is this a question, what does the OP want to do...for now it seems clear that the right response is to go to FSU

Apprehensive

Postby Apprehensive » Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 am

Shot007 wrote:Is this a question, what does the OP want to do...for now it seems clear that the right response is to go to FSU

I am not sure what type of law I want to practice yet. I have many interests, one of which is not government. Nonetheless, I am leaning towards FSU because I agree about the career prospects in all regions. I appreciate all of your responses.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 am

FSU.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed May 12, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Tue May 11, 2010 2:38 pm

wiggsb wrote:You are going to have more fun at FSU.
You are going to get a better education at FSU.
You are going to have better job prospects at FSU.

You should go to FSU.

+1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”