Admiralty Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
10second

Admiralty Law?

Postby 10second » Mon May 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I have heard two different viewpoints about becoming a maritime/admiralty lawyer. The first is to go to a school that has a maritime/admiralty law program such as Tulane, University of Oregon, University of Maine. The other school of thought is to go to the best law school you can get into and in the region in which you want to work and then take a certificate program in admiralty law. I was wondering what you guys/ladies think about these two viewpoints?

lawman2010

Re: Admiralty Law?

Postby lawman2010 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:51 pm

I think Admiralty Law just sounds cool. Sorry I have nothing helpful to say...

maine08080

Postby maine08080 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Something I heard from another thread about admiralty law.

Boats just don't crash into each other as much as they used too.

I would like to put in a good word for Maine (even though I'm an 0L), but go to the higher ranking school and get the certificate.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 pm

maine08080 wrote:
Boats just don't crash into each other as much as they used to.

TITCR. Every admiralty firm in the country is probably trying to line up clients to sue BP over this oil spill thing, so they have something to do.

Seriously, admiralty law is such a niche specialty at this point that it's not really a good idea to base your decision on. You would probably be best served planning to go the BigLaw route, get a few years' experience as an associate, and then try to lateral to an admiralty boutique firm on the strength of your degree and experience. That means going for the best degree you can possibly get, which is generally the best strategy anyway.

You don't need a certificate in admiralty law to practice admiralty law. Ignore things like that, they're just sales pitches trying to get your money for the most part.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Always remember the guiding principal of Admiralty Law:
--ImageRemoved--

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 pm

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue May 11, 2010 7:58 pm

For Admiralty Law it's Tulane or nothing.

jjleague

Postby jjleague » Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 pm

I would talk to several people who are in Admiralty law before dedicating yourself to that very specific niche market. Several classmates of mine, who were licenced officers before going to law school, are admiralty lawyers and have pretty much steered me away from that specialization. Their primary reasoning is that unless you work specifically for a large maritime company you will be represently largely foreign clients who don't want to pay the rates you want them to pay and they will always barter down your fees. The market is very limited in its locations as well.

That being said if you truly have your heart set on maritime law I would consider Tulane or USF. USF has a Maritime Law Journal, but from my quick perusal of its content did not deal too much with demurrage, Jones Act or cabotage issues but more generalised transportation areas.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 2:58 pm

maine08080 wrote:Something I heard from another thread about admiralty law.

Boats just don't crash into each other as much as they used too.

I would like to put in a good word for Maine (even though I'm an 0L), but go to the higher ranking school and get the certificate.

Was I the one that said this on another thread? If so, I stand by it.

edit: I think yes.
Last edited by Grizz on Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
maine08080 wrote:
Boats just don't crash into each other as much as they used to.

TITCR. Every admiralty firm in the country is probably trying to line up clients to sue BP over this oil spill thing, so they have something to do.

Seriously, admiralty law is such a niche specialty at this point that it's not really a good idea to base your decision on. You would probably be best served planning to go the BigLaw route, get a few years' experience as an associate, and then try to lateral to an admiralty boutique firm on the strength of your degree and experience. That means going for the best degree you can possibly get, which is generally the best strategy anyway.

You don't need a certificate in admiralty law to practice admiralty law. Ignore things like that, they're just sales pitches trying to get your money for the most part.

+1 for biglaw

For example, BP retained Kirkland, IIRC, who probably has as admiralty division.

Also, hgihly anecdotal, but one of my family members and a close family friend both do limited admiraly practice in Tampa and FL in general, and neither of them went to Tulane or got certificates.

acadec

Postby acadec » Thu May 20, 2010 5:56 pm

you're...a...crook, captain hook; judge, won't you throw the book at the pir--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”