Columbia or Harvard for International/Public Interest law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
temperancebrennan

New

Columbia or Harvard for International/Public Interest law?

Post by temperancebrennan » Mon May 10, 2010 8:23 am

Here's my situation: I put down a deposit at Columbia awhile ago and was psyching myself up to attend, never seriously considering that the HLS waitlist would pan out. And then, surprisingly, I was recently admitted to HLS. I'm now in the very fortunate position of seriously considering which school would be better for my interests, goals, and financial concerns. I'm interested in Public International Law (something along the lines of UN/Amnesty International/Human Rights Watch), so living in New York would be helpful, and my understanding is that the program at CLS is a bit better in this field. CLS's LRAP also seems to be a bit more forgiving than the LIPP. However, Harvard's program in this field is also strong and my sense is that they put a much larger emphasis on PI law (and resources for PI law) than CLS does. I also like the Cambridge area better than Morningside Heights. Also, no merit aid from CLS.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? (Besides be extremely grateful, which, trust me, I am.) LRAP/LIPP will factor heavily into my decision.

Thanks so much!

fwaam

Bronze

Re: Columbia or Harvard for International/Public Interest law?

Post by fwaam » Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 am

No money from Columbia? Go to Harvard, hands down. Not only would it actually be cheaper due to cost of living, it has all the prestige/connections of Harvard. Columbia would not give you any advantage here.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am

fwaam wrote:No money from Columbia? Go to Harvard, hands down. Not only would it actually be cheaper due to cost of living, it has all the prestige/connections of Harvard. Columbia would not give you any advantage here.
+1. Nothing else need be said.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Mon May 10, 2010 8:53 am

fwaam wrote:No money from Columbia? Go to Harvard, hands down. Not only would it actually be cheaper due to cost of living, it has all the prestige/connections of Harvard. Columbia would not give you any advantage here.
Exactly. Go to Harvard. The jobs you mentioned are absurdly difficult to get, and as great of a school as Columbia is, Harvard is Harvard.

Edit: And CONGRATS!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”