U-Miami vs. Chapman (near full scholarship) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
StoneontaState

New

U-Miami vs. Chapman (near full scholarship)

Post by StoneontaState » Sat May 08, 2010 5:46 pm

I deposited at Miami a month ago because it was the highest ranked school I got into and I was waitlisted/ didn't receive scholly $ anywhere else. I did not hear anything from Chapman as of that time, but then 2 days ago I received an acceptance letter from them with pretty much a full scholarship (I think it would only cost me like 6k a year plus living).

So I ask, what would be the better option? Coming out of Chapman being 50k in debt, or coming out of Miami being 180k in debt? Miami pretty much has a lock on it's market while Chapman is behind 4 schools in the LA area (not even including UCI).

Thanks in advance.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Re: U-Miami vs. Chapman (near full scholarship)

Post by jetlagz28 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Where do you want to practice?

Chapman HAS JUST THIS YEAR climbed up into the T100 btw.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat May 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Where did you grow up?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat May 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Take the money

(watch for grade stipulations though)

StoneontaState

New

Post by StoneontaState » Sat May 08, 2010 5:54 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:Where do you want to practice?

Chapman HAS JUST THIS YEAR climbed up into the T100 btw.
Yeah I saw that. I'd rather practice in Cali I suppose.
Danteshek wrote:Where did you grow up?
New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Since both schools are arguably regional, you can get a good scholy from Chapman, and want to end up in CA, go with Chapman.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat May 08, 2010 7:23 pm

If the OP is from NY and can get a full ride at Chapman, he probably should go to school in NY. Has the OP ever been to California?

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Normally I would always say be debt-averse. But Miami actually feeds into a legal market it has control over; Miami graduates dominate the Miami legal market outside of that they only have to deal with FU and FSU grads. Where does Chapman dominate, who do they compete with? (um UCLA, USC, UCI, Pepperdine, Loyola, Southwestern etc. etc.) I think Chapman reported like 99% employment and probably 90% are working at car-washes in the OC, the other 9% are probably working for solo practitioners or small law. Unless OP can elaborate on the profound statement of "CA I suppose" as his answer to where he wants to work, than probably pick Miami IMO.

*However I wouldn't pay sticker at Miami either. So I could definitely see an argument for Chapman.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat May 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Rankings are almost worthless. Pick based on job prospects in the region you want. Chapman is really more for Orange County than LA.

I'd probably go for Chapman, or neither.

Won't get biglaw from Chapman. Probably not from Miami either, but Miami has a bigger legal market than OC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

total_loss

New

Post by total_loss » Sat May 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Miami is a good school, however, ITE you are probably better off taking the scholarship money from Chapman. If your original goal was to get into the highest ranked school possible, perhaps also consider retaking the LSAT. With a higher score, you may increase your scholarship chances at higher ranked schools.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Sun May 09, 2010 12:49 pm

arhmcpo wrote: I think Chapman reported like 99% employment and probably 90% are working at car-washes in the OC.
Why you gotta hate?
Chapman Law School is a fine institution which develops a particular skill set in students that makes them uniquely suited to wash cars. Plus, do you know how much cash you can make in tips at a car wash? While Chapman grads are raking in the dough at Buff n Suds, Miami grads are probably employed at firms that make them do research and file briefs and hating their life. Think about the prospects before you decide.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:11 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Normally I would always say be debt-averse. But Miami actually feeds into a legal market it has control over; Miami graduates dominate the Miami legal market outside of that they only have to deal with FU and FSU grads. Where does Chapman dominate, who do they compete with? (um UCLA, USC, UCI, Pepperdine, Loyola, Southwestern etc. etc.) I think Chapman reported like 99% employment and probably 90% are working at car-washes in the OC, the other 9% are probably working for solo practitioners or small law. Unless OP can elaborate on the profound statement of "CA I suppose" as his answer to where he wants to work, than probably pick Miami IMO.

*However I wouldn't pay sticker at Miami either. So I could definitely see an argument for Chapman.
This person obviously does not come from FL and has no idea what is going on. FU? Really?

Here's the deal. Miami is good for south Florida, but UF is as good as or even better than Miami down there. That's it. Miami doesn't "control" anything. It's not a good idea to pay sticker for Miami. Bad bad idea.

Save money; go to Chapman.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:11 pm

StoneontaState wrote:Miami pretty much has a lock on it's market
No. See above post.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 pm

StoneontaState wrote:I deposited at Miami a month ago because it was the highest ranked school I got into and I was waitlisted/ didn't receive scholly $ anywhere else. I did not hear anything from Chapman as of that time, but then 2 days ago I received an acceptance letter from them with pretty much a full scholarship (I think it would only cost me like 6k a year plus living).

So I ask, what would be the better option? Coming out of Chapman being 50k in debt, or coming out of Miami being 180k in debt? Miami pretty much has a lock on it's market while Chapman is behind 4 schools in the LA area (not even including UCI).

Thanks in advance.
estimated cost of living for chapman is nearly 30k. you may not need to borrow that much, but you are looking at nearly 100k in debt at chapman even with the scholarship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”