Fordham (sticker) vs W&L ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maize'nblue

Fordham (sticker) vs W&L ($$)

Postby maize'nblue » Sat May 08, 2010 5:21 pm

As one may guess from the name, I am a 2010 graduate from the University of Michigan. My GPA was relatively unimpressive (3.25) but i did well on the LSAT (167 & 173; i took it in sept and again in dec because i knew i could've done better). I was originally dead set on corporate law (specifically mergers and acquisitions) but as of recently I've become more and more interested in entertainment law. No matter which I end up in though, I would by far prefer to work in either New York or LA.

In any case, because I retook the LSAT, I didn't send out applications until January. As it stands right now, I am debating between offers of admission to Fordham and Washington and Lee. W&L offered me approximately 50% tuition in scholarships (I would pay approx $38,000 per year) whereas at Fordham I would have to pay approx $70,000 per year (COL, books, etc). I've also been wait listed at NYU, UCLA, USC, Cardozo, Wash U, UC Hastings, and W & M. FYI, i declined offers at UC Davis (sticker), Santa Clara ($$) and St. John's (Sticker).

I am currently leaning toward Fordham due to my desire to pursue a career in New York City. However, I have already borrowed approximately $150,000 to finance my undergraduate education, and thus I have substantial financial concerns. At the same time, much of what I have read suggests that W & L's placement is limited to the Southeast region for all but the top 10%. Both have highly regarded corporate law programs, but in regard to entertainment law, Fordham's Intellectual property curriculum is T15.

The question is, which offer makes the most sense? The current economic situation and bleak employment outlooks seem to suggest the smaller debt (W&L) would be the best path. At the same time, I spoke with a relative of a good friend who strongly recommended Fordham despite the need for loans. I highly respect her opinion as objective and accurate (she attended evening classes at a Tier 2 school in California about 30 years ago through student loans but became extremely financially successful through civil litigation). Obviously the best scenario would be to get in at NYU, but that notwithstanding, I don't know which of the two to choose.

Also, if I were to get into USC or UCLA (at sticker price), would it make more sense to attend either over Fordham? I honestly would probably prefer New York to LA but the difference in preference is quite minute.

Reapplying earlier next year is also not an option because of student loans.

joeshmo39

Re: Fordham (sticker) vs W&L ($$)

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:27 pm

You don't want to hear this, and I'm no expert admittedly, but a 3.25/173 should really end up with better options than Fordam full freight. If you really want to live in New York, then Michigan, Virginia, Penn, and several other schools probably give you (at least) as good a shot at as Fordham. I also think Fordham and W and L will have no traction in LA. Can you not take a year off and work or something? I don't see how that would affect your current undergrad loans unless it has something to do with interest compounding if you are not in school at all. If these are truly your only options then I think I would vote Fordham. However, Fordham + 400,000 dollars in debt is not really an option at all in my book.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat May 08, 2010 5:46 pm

My god splitters are getting murdered this cycle.

maize'nblue

Postby maize'nblue » Sat May 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for the input.

The problem with taking a year off is: 1) the interest has already started compounding, 2) a good portion of the loans were private that required a co-signer (i.e. my father), which means even if I qualified for deferment, he wouldn't and thus we would have to begin making rather hefty payments in October at the latest, 3) the employment prospects locally are virtually non-existent. At best I'll find $10.00 an hour, which wouldn't really help at all, and I can't really afford to move somewhere else for a year in hopes of finding something better.

Furthermore, I did apply to Virginia and Columbia as well as UCLA and USC. As I said, I was waitlisted at the latter two and denied at the first two. I can't imagine being accepted at Mich or Penn for example when I can't get into any of the other top 20 schools. I could easily be wrong but I don't see an earlier application next year making too much of a difference. Even if I did wait a year and reapply, I would essentially be sacrificing a year of J.D. salary for what would hopefully amount to approximately $100,000 less debt and a somewhat better school; seems that the two prospects offset.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 08, 2010 6:29 pm

DerrickRose wrote:My god splitters are getting murdered this cycle.

Well, ones who apply late, at least. Those who applied earlier seemed to do much better than those who applied later.

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Sat May 08, 2010 6:30 pm

St. John's Sticker?

What?
:shock:

maize'nblue

Postby maize'nblue » Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:St. John's Sticker?

What?

My thoughts exactly

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Sun May 09, 2010 1:55 pm

maize'nblue wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:St. John's Sticker?

What?

My thoughts exactly

Is there something in your package that doesn't come off favorable? Did you get student copy of your recs and was your PS a strong well-written one?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”