Updated Poll: BC/WashU/GULC/WI/Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick a school!

WI (full ride)
10%
Cardozo (full ride)
16%
WashU ($33K/year)
22%
BC ($30K/year)
27%
GULC (Sticker)
24%

Total votes: 91

nowinGA

Re: Updated Poll: BC/WashU/GULC/WI/Cardozo

Postby nowinGA » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Right. I just don't subscribe to the TLS line of "you can only succeed as a lawyer if you got to a t14" line of thinking. Having worked in the real world quite a bit, I believe in the power of networking and contacts, as well as just being an attractive candidate for employment with a great resume. Maybe it is because I am older, not straight out of college, and have some perspective. I am working with the options I have and trying to make the best decision for me based on them. But I do appreciate all of your thoughts and comments. They are all useful.

No one is saying it can't be done. We're just saying you can't expect it to be easy.

There's a lot of expecting it to be easy going around these days. You sound like you don't have it, which is going to be a big, big help to you in life.

I think you are quite right.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 am

Bump. Any other thoughts?

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 am

These schools are not really comparable if you want BigLaw.

BC/GULC are significantly more national and better respected than the rest. If you want Biglaw or a decent clerkship, you need to scrub the rest of the schools off the list. Then I think you have to decide between DC/Boston and Debt/less-Debt.

These should be your choices with variables thrown in:

BC = Boston/NYC, Less Debt
GULC = DC/MidAtlantic, More Debt, T14

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 am

Informative wrote:These schools are not really comparable if you want BigLaw.

BC/GULC are significantly more national and better respected than the rest. If you want Biglaw or a decent clerkship, you need to scrub the rest of the schools off the list. Then I think you have to decide between DC/Boston and Debt/less-Debt.

These should be your choices with variables thrown in:

Egregious BC trolling. You're usually a pretty bad troll - but this is funny. BC over GULC for NYC biglaw? Seriously? WUSTL less national than BC? WUSTL > BC for clerkships and they're peers in most other respects. I'm a huge fan of BC - but you're delusional.

Are you a "smalllaw" alt or something? That BC troll was nuts -

How is BC more national than WUSTL if it puts 60% into New England and 20% in NYC? WUSTL highest regional placement is 27% in one region...
Last edited by Blindmelon on Mon May 10, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 am

I don't believe I have mentioned in this post that I "want BigLaw"...

I am open at this point, but not fixated on that. I may want to be more "in-house" in the entertainment industry...or in a smaller, boutique style firm. (But who the heck knows...I have a lot to explore in the next couple of years)...

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Who the hell said BC over GULC? I certainly didn't. I said that it should come down to a choice between GULC or BC, but not that one is better than the other. Unlike you, Blind, I am not some law student that promotes my school and disparages the competition every chance I get. BU is a great school and you should be proud of it. It's sad that you are a few years in and you keep coming back to our board to try to talk up BU and talk down BC/GW/Fordham, etc. I checked your past postings and its pretty sad.

OP, as I said before, it should be a chioce of BC or GULC. That decision should be based on numerous variables, some of which I mentioned above.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon May 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Blindmelon wrote:WUSTL > BC for clerkships and they're peers in most other respects.

wow....i've never looked into this but it seems you are correct in as much greater perctage of wustl get federal clerkships than bc or bu grads. for the class of 2008 it was wustl's 8% vs bc 3% and bu's 1%. class of 2007 also showed a higher percentage of wustl grads in fed clerkships.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon May 10, 2010 2:00 pm

nowinGA wrote:There are some assumptions here and I am waiting for some final information re: getting off a WL at GULC and negotiating some more money elsewhere...but assuming I can make these things happen, I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I have a strong desire to end up in NYC. Have worked there in the entertainment industry and would like to stay involved. Family is all in MN/WI...so being there isn't completely out of the picture either. Would most prefer to live in NYC for school...but Boston and Madison aren't bad places either. I also love DC, but can't decide about paying sticker with all of these other options.

So, while I admit some hypotheticals are involved here, I will have little time to make some decisions if all of this happens...

Thank, in advance, for any thoughts.
okay so you've stated geographical preference for dc and nyc. what do you think of new england? b/c if you don't make the grades you might not be able to easily get to nyc from bc. i'd say go to gulc. no matter where you end up in your class you would most likely end up in a city where you really want to be.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 2:45 pm

OK, of course I WANT to go to GULC...but a.) I am currently on the WL...and b.) I will have to see how the money works out.

But yes, that is my #1 choice overall...assuming I can make the above happen.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for all of the tips! I think I am ready to close down the polls, see what happens, and go with my gut. Thanks for the tips. They have given me a lot to think about and consider.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Informative wrote:Who the hell said BC over GULC? I certainly didn't. I said that it should come down to a choice between GULC or BC, but not that one is better than the other. Unlike you, Blind, I am not some law student that promotes my school and disparages the competition every chance I get. BU is a great school and you should be proud of it. It's sad that you are a few years in and you keep coming back to our board to try to talk up BU and talk down BC/GW/Fordham, etc. I checked your past postings and its pretty sad.

OP, as I said before, it should be a chioce of BC or GULC. That decision should be based on numerous variables, some of which I mentioned above.

You are literally the worst troll ever. BU did not come up in this discussion - its irrelevant - I even said BC is a great school. I'm confused.

Informative wrote:These schools are not really comparable if you want BigLaw.

You made it seem like BC is the choice for NYC - and it isn't. Neither would BU be - BU never even came up. And why would I disparage BC? Its our peer school in like every way - putting it down would be counterproductive.

Also, I'm a few years in and its sad I keep coming back to YOUR board? I'm a 1L - I've been on this site since a few months before I applied. I don't understand - but if its your board, feel free to ban me. Oh wait, it isn't.

Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I have to troll for Wash U here. Yeah, you will have to do well at Wash U to get NYC biglaw, but in this economy it's not like Cardozo gives you a great shot just because it is in New York. Normally I'm a proponent of going to school in the area you want to work in considering similar schools, but Wash U is just on a different level than Cardozo and I can't see going down 33 spots in the rankings for an extra 10k a year. When you add COL differences between NYC and STL that difference will be even less.

BC is a solid offer as well,but I'm not so sure it's a better option for NYC than Wash U. It's definitely closer, but NYC is not its main market just like NYC isn't Wash U's main market. I think Wash U is slightly better (admittedly biased) and the rankings would seem to agree with me. (Not that a few spots in the rankings means much) This is definitely a pretty close call so I would advise visiting both schools and seeing which one you prefer.

Totally disagree - BC > WashU for NYC. BC's main market in Boston, but it places a large chunk of its class in NYC each year and is extremely well known in the city.

If you want to be able to go back west though - go to WashU.

BC may place more in NYC, but I feel like this is largely because of self-selection. Wash U sends a good amount of people to Chicago and really all over the place. However, for somebody trying to get into New York I find it hard to believe firms in New York are digging a whole lot deeper into BC's class than they would for Wash U. I'm open to the possibility I'm wrong as I haven't specifically looked into their employment stats to that degree, but that seems like a more likely explanation for any difference to me.

As far as going back west, I'd say it depends on what you mean by west. If you mean midwest like Wisconsin then probably yes, but the last place I'd recommend Wash U for is the west coast as that is the area of the country where Wash U seem to have the least contacts.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I have to troll for Wash U here. Yeah, you will have to do well at Wash U to get NYC biglaw, but in this economy it's not like Cardozo gives you a great shot just because it is in New York. Normally I'm a proponent of going to school in the area you want to work in considering similar schools, but Wash U is just on a different level than Cardozo and I can't see going down 33 spots in the rankings for an extra 10k a year. When you add COL differences between NYC and STL that difference will be even less.

BC is a solid offer as well,but I'm not so sure it's a better option for NYC than Wash U. It's definitely closer, but NYC is not its main market just like NYC isn't Wash U's main market. I think Wash U is slightly better (admittedly biased) and the rankings would seem to agree with me. (Not that a few spots in the rankings means much) This is definitely a pretty close call so I would advise visiting both schools and seeing which one you prefer.

Totally disagree - BC > WashU for NYC. BC's main market in Boston, but it places a large chunk of its class in NYC each year and is extremely well known in the city.

If you want to be able to go back west though - go to WashU.

BC may place more in NYC, but I feel like this is largely because of self-selection. Wash U sends a good amount of people to Chicago and really all over the place. However, for somebody trying to get into New York I find it hard to believe firms in New York are digging a whole lot deeper into BC's class than they would for Wash U. I'm open to the possibility I'm wrong as I haven't specifically looked into their employment stats to that degree, but that seems like a more likely explanation for any difference to me.

As far as going back west, I'd say it depends on what you mean by west. If you mean midwest like Wisconsin then probably yes, but the last place I'd recommend Wash U for is the west coast as that is the area of the country where Wash U seem to have the least contacts.

Ah see Informative... did you actually read my posts? I was talking up BC. I do a lot actually as I think its a great school and was very torn in no choosing to attend (chose mostly b/c of scholarship $). Informative, you have some serious issues.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”