final US choice! Richmond vs Gonzaga

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dibs

final US choice! Richmond vs Gonzaga

Postby dibs » Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Gonzaga - $10,500/year with 2.75 GPA condition. proximity to and placement in Seattle. close to home.
Richmond - $5,000/year good standing condition. proxmity to and placement in Richmond/DC.

interested in IP and Tech law. both markets are hotbeds for tech industry.

Richmond gets 5x more OCI than Gonzaga. also Gonzaga is a Jesuit institution. not sure what that means, really, other than it was founded by crazy christians (i think).
Last edited by dibs on Sat May 08, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Re: final US choice! Richmond vs Gonzaga

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Do you want to work in Washington or Washington? Figure that out and you have your answer.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:51 pm

For this one I'm going to say stick close to home and go Gonzaga. The scholarship moneys are too close to matter with Gonzaga's GPA requirement, and I just like Washington State More than DC. However, H2O's response is TCR. You won't be able to get out of your region (in fact you will be lucky to find employment within your region) coming out of either school.

Don't worry about the Jesuit thing. Jesuit Law schools are very secular in nature (as opposed to the VERY RELIGIOUS Regent University or to a lesser extent schools like Pepperdine). Top law schools that bring all sorts of people like Georgetown are even Jesuit. Just worry about the lack of Job prospects comming out of either school.

Read the following regarding another student considering Gonzaga. I'm against encouraging people against going to LS at all (since each person has their own reasons/level of commitment). But you need to recognize the EXTREME lack of employment these school's graduates.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116953

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh, and retake the LSAT!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 08, 2010 3:04 pm

It is highly unlikely that a Gonzaga grad will find work in Seattle post graduation, from what I've heard.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

legalease9 wrote:Oh, and retake the LSAT!

+1

Op is this a possibility cause we a few more points could be looking at much better schools

dibs

Postby dibs » Sat May 08, 2010 4:28 pm

the job prospect issue doesn't really apply to me if i focus on corporate law, rather than IP law. i'm highly experienced in the multinational energy industry, with a specialized business undergrad. all the doom and gloom may be true for kids who come out of their undergrad and go right to law school, but it's not so for me. doesn't worry me in the least.

so my selection criteria is a little different that just firm placement in the region. i'm looking at the reach and breadth of the corporate sector in each market and what that markets strengths are. since i've posted this i'm ranked richmond much higher than gonzaga due to a combination of factors, and as such will select richmond (unless i stay in canada).

i do thank you for your opinions, though, and how unoffensive they were this time. you never know if you'll get a troll or someone genuinely helpful responding when you post these things.

:)

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat May 08, 2010 4:39 pm

dibs wrote:the job prospect issue doesn't really apply to me if i focus on corporate law, rather than IP law. i'm highly experienced in the multinational energy industry, with a specialized business undergrad. all the doom and gloom may be true for kids who come out of their undergrad and go right to law school, but it's not so for me. doesn't worry me in the least.

so my selection criteria is a little different that just firm placement in the region. i'm looking at the reach and breadth of the corporate sector in each market and what that markets strengths are. since i've posted this i'm ranked richmond much higher than gonzaga due to a combination of factors, and as such will select richmond (unless i stay in canada).

i do thank you for your opinions, though, and how unoffensive they were this time. you never know if you'll get a troll or someone genuinely helpful responding when you post these things.

:)

in that case, while I would still suggest a retake, I would go with Richmond since it is closer to Washington, DC which has a lot of connections to energy, lobbying, etc. and could be right up your ally.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”