Start at T2 this fall or get a MS and re-apply

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zreinhar

Start at T2 this fall or get a MS and re-apply

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 am

So my situation is a little different in that if I wait and re-apply I get to get a free MSEE from USC (southern cal) and can save up money at my engineering job. FWIW I also have a pending app at Stanford for an MSEE but am not expecting much from them. For those curious I got an 800Q 540V on my GRE, haha I suck at analogies.

I got into GSU with a negligable scholarship and planned on starting PT this fall. My stats are BSEET, Math minor UG, 3.71 (which will drop to a 3.65 if I reapply) and a 155 and a 162 I was PT'ing at 165-167 and just bombed the first time. I think I *could* get a higher score, but am not entirely sure. I also have standard ECs, published research article, volunteering at a homeless shelter for a few years and president of an honor society and of the robotics team. (I know I'm cool) Along with intramural basketball and good UG WE. And now a good full time Eng job.

Should I get the free MSEE, re apply this fall and see if anything new happens? Or should I go ahead and start LS this fall while staying at my current job? Either way I plan on taking the patent bar late july (either in between semesters at USC or prior to LS) And should I retake? because if I do I don't think I could score high enough for Emory to be economically feasible.

Edited for clarity

FullThrottle

Re: Start at T2 this fall or get a MS and re-apply

Postby FullThrottle » Sat May 08, 2010 11:15 am

Yours is simply a personal, lifestyle decision. There are a lot of subjunctive factors here: location, need for a title, work/life balance etc.

Go to a school where and when you want to go.
Working and school is a great commitment. If you want to get it over with, go now. If you don't mind doing it next year go later.

I think you'll be fine at graduation whether you go now or next year.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 08, 2010 11:22 am

Thans, I mean at this point, if I get a higher LSAT score that could really change things, but as of right now, Im stuck with the 162. If can bump it up a few points then I might be able to get some money to Emory. So I'm probably going to go ahead and withdraw from there and re-apply next year. But more opinions are welcome...

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 am

Sweet zombie jeebus, you have the opportunity to be an engineer and you're considering law school??

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sat May 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Saunter over to the law job market threads. Then spend a couple of hours trying to find an unemployed engineers bitch-fest. When you can't do that, your choice should be clearer. Unless you have some intense burning desire to be a lawyer.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Haha, will do. I guess it'll good in that it'll also let me allow the economy to pick back up (hopefully) Maybe law school later on...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 am

Yeah...ummm...

The only way being a lawyer has a good chance of beating the career of an engineer is if you get into the T14 (or perhaps T18).

Engineer = better hours, more job security, less stressful job, more interesting work, more time with your family.

Law = more money only if you graduate from the top of your class/go to a T14, or if you're just naturally good at being a lawyer. But the latter is hard to achieve.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am

zreinhar wrote:Thans, I mean at this point, if I get a higher LSAT score that could really change things, but as of right now, Im stuck with the 162. If can bump it up a few points then I might be able to get some money to Emory. So I'm probably going to go ahead and withdraw from there and re-apply next year. But more opinions are welcome...

Withdraw, do the MSEE, take the LSAT in June if its still possible, if not Sept, and reapply. This is a much safer career plan. The legal market (yes even IP) isn't hot, and waiting a year only helps.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:49 am

zreinhar wrote:Haha, will do. I guess it'll good in that it'll also let me allow the economy to pick back up (hopefully) Maybe law school later on...

MSEE is golden for patent.
Withdraw, take another year-even if you dont get into a much better school, the Masters will make you a big sell, especially with work experience

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon May 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks agian guys. At this point, Im gonna do the MSEE, Ill finish the summer semester before law school starts. Im gonna take the Oct LSAT. I feel like I can get around a 165 and we'll see what happens. In the meantime Im getting big name work experience and a big name degree. I feel alot better about my choice now. Plus I get to have a life and avoid debt for another year!

Thoughts on Emory at sticker? My LSAT will most likely look like a 165, so I dont think there will be any real $$ they offer me, or any real suggestions on places to apply?

luckycurl84

Postby luckycurl84 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm

JCougar wrote:Yeah...ummm...

The only way being a lawyer has a good chance of beating the career of an engineer is if you get into the T14 (or perhaps T18).

Engineer = [strike]better[/strike] same hours, [strike]more[/strike] same job security, [strike]less[/strike] same stressful job, more interesting work, [strike]more[/strike] same amount of time with your family.

Law = more money only if you graduate from the top of your class/go to a T14, or if you're just naturally good at being a lawyer. But the latter is hard to achieve.

FTFY.

I'll qualify this - Engineers in manufacturing. Time= $$$$$. I suppose project engineers might be better off. :roll:

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm

luckycurl84 wrote:

Engineer = [strike]better[/strike] same hours, [strike]more[/strike] same job security, [strike]less[/strike] same stressful job, more interesting work, [strike]more[/strike] same amount of time with your family.

FTFY.

I'll qualify this - Engineers in manufacturing. Time= $$$$$. I suppose project engineers might be better off. :roll:

Yeah, I mean when people tell me how awesome engineering is compared to law I take it with a grain of salt. I have seen both personally and know it isn't that much diff. The security is a little different. But I work at a company notorius for its hours, and honestly I like working till 6 or 7 (I get in at 7am) it makes me feel like my day was productive. Im also not going into a big market, I want Atlanta, and honestly I don't mind if it's not biglaw, there's alot of good boutiques around here that have alot of work for T2 kids with good WE. Im doing law becuase of the higher roof on salary and because I like the work. I MIGHT be able to go into management at my company now, but that would take a very long time and it's not something Im expecting to happen.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

luckycurl84 wrote:

FTFY.

My dad and two of my three best friends are engineers, and neither of their hours come close to those of biglaw. Standard work week is 45-50 hours, never more. Both my friends that are my age are either already making six figures, or close. Finding gainful employment has always come easy to them. No stressing about billable hours, client relations, etc.

lawemzee

Postby lawemzee » Mon May 17, 2010 8:57 pm

I think it's also important to consider how 3 LSAT scores are going to look on an app. Not all, but a lot of schools take an average of your scores. If you go to grad school, you also have time to let your scores expire.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 pm

lawemzee wrote:I think it's also important to consider how 3 LSAT scores are going to look on an app. Not all, but a lot of schools take an average of your scores. If you go to grad school, you also have time to let your scores expire.

Almost zero schools still take an average of your scores.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by d34d9823 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Not really planning on going into Biglaw, so the hours will prob be the same anyways (Not to mention the fact I probably couldn't get unto Biglaw if I wanted to) but I think the MS and WE will make up for my no-name UG and lower ranked LS

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Now I have some new information:

Recently waitlisted at Vanderbilt and got into Stanford for an MSEE. What would you do in my circumstances? (MSEE is paid for by work but will take 1.5 years forcing me out of two cycles.) Im pretty much set on the MSEE, getting good WE and retaking. But would getting in Vanderbilt and then paying sticker trump that?

dt22

Postby dt22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm

zreinhar wrote:Now I have some new information:

Recently waitlisted at Vanderbilt and got into Stanford for an MSEE. What would you do in my circumstances? (MSEE is paid for by work but will take 1.5 years forcing me out of two cycles.) Im pretty much set on the MSEE, getting good WE and retaking. But would getting in Vanderbilt and then paying sticker trump that?

no

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Stanford MSEE. Though, consider staying in engineering, you could go far with a degree from Stanford if you take the right courses.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Stanford MSEE. Though, consider staying in engineering, you could go far with a degree from Stanford if you take the right courses.

I was shocked to get in. I got into USC so fast that I figured I should give it a shot. And who knows, if I can move up in my company between now and when I would apply to law school then I might forgo law school especially considering my abysmal LSAT

Return to “Choosing a Law School”